Samsung's new 27-inch monitor competes with Apple's Studio Display at half the price

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2023
Samsung on Tuesday officially unveiled the newest smart monitors in its M-series lineup, with a $649 27-inch Studio Display competitor joining the mix.

Samsung's new M8 Smart Monitor
Samsung's new M8 Smart Monitor

Announced at CES 2023, Samsung's M-series monitors feature all-in-one smart solutions not available in other "dumb" monitors. The new 27-inch M8 model competes directly with Apple's Studio Display, though at a much lower price.

The official announcement from Samsung states that these new monitors, the M8 (M80C), M7 (M70C), and M5 (M50C), are designed to be tailored to each individual's needs. But the biggest selling point may be the new 27-inch model, joining the flagship 32-inch option.

{"@context":"https://schema.org/","@type":"VideoObject","name":"Apple Studio Display VS Samsung M8 Smart Monitor! Is Bigger Better?","description":"I compare Apple's new Studio Display against the also new Samsung M8 Smart Monitor! Both are incredibly cool devices and it boils down to the wealth of features on the M8 versus the superior quality of the Studio Display. Which do you prefer?","thumbnailUrl":"https://i.ytimg.com/vi/tbE1kQsaeb0/sddefault.jpg","uploadDate":"2022-05-31T19:33:18Z","duration":"PT14M13S","embedUrl":""}

The M8, which now comes in a new size, is still packed with features, including support for 4K resolution, HDR10+, and up to 400 nits of brightness. Both the M8 and the M7 smart monitors also offer color coverage up to 99% sRGB, so colors should be well represented on the screens.

Samsung says the M8 and M7 smart monitors feature an "Iconic Slim Design" with a back that measures in at just 11.39mm. And both monitors feature both height and tilt-adjustable stands. The screen itself can even rotate 90 degrees, helping view documents in portrait orientation.

The smart monitors have a range of streaming apps built in, like Amazon Prime and Netflix, and also include the company's Smart TV features, like Samsung Gaming Hub. This will allow users to play a variety of different games, all without needing a console or PC.

They also support connecting, managing, and controlling various smart home products, thanks to Matter support and a built-in SmartThings Hub. This means users can use Samsung's SmartThings app to control the lights in their homes and much more.

The M8 and M7 also feature built-in voice assistants -- Samsung's Bixby and Amazon's Alexa. To help with that, both monitors also have built-in microphones with far-field voice support.

For Apple users, they have integrated AirPlay 2 -- for both audio and video.

But wait, there's a little more

The range of 2023 smart monitors also boast "My Contents", which Samsung says will allow users to "quickly access helpful information". The company outlines how the smart monitors can detect a "registered smartphone" through Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), and then show calendar information, photos, weather stats, and more.

The M8 also comes with a magnetic, removable camera. It supports FHD resolution and Auto Framing, which will keep the user in the center of the camera while on a video call.

The M8 is available starting at $649.99 for the 27-inch option, or $699.99 for the 32-inch model. The 27-inch M7 costs $549.99, while the 32-inch model retails for $599.99. The M5 costs $279.99 or $299.99 for the 27- and 32-inch models, respectively.

Finally, the M8 comes in four different colors: Warm White, Sunset Pink, Spring Green, and Daylight Blue. The M7 is available in Warm White, while the M5 comes in either black or white.

Each of the new M-series smart monitors will go on sale this June.

When compared, Samsung's previous M8 Smart Monitor does an admirable enough job stacked up against Apple's Studio Display.

We went hands-on with Samsung's newest monitors earlier this year at CES and were impressed with the wide variety Samsung has brought to market including productivity and gaming models.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    I bought a 32inch M8 a couple of weeks ago... here's my review of it.

I have bought a few Samsung devices in the past (though it was over 10 years ago) and I’ve been disappointed by them all in some way or another to the point vowing never going to buy Samsung again. However, given the great reviews of the Samsung M8 monitor I thought perhaps Samsung has finally improved their products to a point I thought this would be different. It even looks like an oversized iMac which was very appealing.

First the good points, the Samsung M8 32in Monitor has lots of features and functionality including many of its own apps including a lot of remote network capable TV apps like Apple TV+, BBC and Amazon.

Sound though wasn’t great (this is a thin monitor after all ) and I could not find a way to connect to an AirPlay capable device and have the picture and sound work in sync.

Brightness is okay but not as vibrant as an LG Ultrafine 5K, the backlighting is also not consistent around the edges showing patches of light and dark in certain conditions.

The camera worked for about 30mins, then I could not get it working either on any MacBook Pro nor a Windows 11 HP laptop. I could also hear a faint high pitched noise coming from the camera too. One would assume the device was broken, but I still was able to make it work with the builtin monitor App!

Resolution is just 4K and since the monitor is 32in, a decent character size makes the text look a little blurry. If you don’t have a retina display this probably won’t be very noticeable after a while but I did find it annoying!

Tech support was standard going through the basic fixes though was eventually unhelpful. At one point they claimed it was their provided USB C cable was not capable of supporting the monitor and camera and I should get a better, faster USB C standard cable. Err… why didn’t they supply one then?

After all the trouble, returning the monitor was simple and easy. 

In conclusion, my impression of Samsung products remains the same. The offer of lots of features, great price and the feeling of an Applely product were appealing but once again they are let down by both software and hardware quality. It’s like they can implement an 80% product but are let down big time in the final stretch. Perhaps they think adding all the extra features you probably won’t eventually use can make up for it. But not for me.

One final thing, the monitor actually does not work on 2017 MacBook Pros. I tried various USB C cables to hand but none worked. Looking at the Apple’s tech specs for the MBP , it appears ‘earlier’ MBP do not automatically support later USB C monitors but only LG Ultrafine ones. A 2019 and M1 MBP worked without issue. Another case of USB C doesn’t mean compatible, be aware...
    eightzeroappleinsideruserwatto_cobradewmebaconstangdanox
  • Reply 2 of 29
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    Samsun 490 nits brightness. Isn’t Apple one like 650?

That alone is worth price difference of Apple
    edited May 2023 macxpresswilliamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobradanox
  • Reply 3 of 29
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    One major difference is the camera is attached instead of builtin. The camera is not related to the monitor. 
    williamlondon9secondkox2baconstang
  • Reply 4 of 29
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The yet to be released 5K Viewsonic S9 is the studio dis0ay competitor.
    this is a 4K display. 

I feel tricked by this headline.
    antic4williamlondonnoelostyler82Japheywatto_cobratenthousandthingsdewmebaconstanggabr
  • Reply 5 of 29
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    There is no chance I will ever buy a Samsung device of any type. Ever. 
    williamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 29
    rundhvidrundhvid Posts: 124member
    The M8, which now comes in a new size, is still packed with features, including support for 4K resolution, HDR10+, and up to 400 nits of brightness. Both the M8 and the M7 smart monitors also offer color coverage up to 99% sRGB, so colors should be well represented on the screens.

In case anyone considers this monitor—or any Samsung display—for video content, beware that Dolby Vision is NOT supported!

williamlondonJapheywatto_cobra9secondkox2entropys
  • Reply 7 of 29
    antic4antic4 Posts: 6member
    entropys said:
    this is a 4K display. 

Im beginning to think this monitor is vapourware. There has been zero news since CES
    williamlondonwatto_cobragabr
  • Reply 8 of 29
    >>also offer color coverage up to 99% sRGB<<
    I sure hope this is a typo and it's 99% of either DCI-P3 or 
    Adobe RGB (1998)  because 99% color gamut of sRGB is nothing special. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra9secondkox2
  • Reply 9 of 29
    reason88reason88 Posts: 12member
    entropys said:
    this is a 4K display. 

You mean Samsung “Viewfinity” S9 not Viewsonic right?
    watto_cobratenthousandthingsgabr
  • Reply 10 of 29
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    snookie said:
    It doesn't compete with the studio display at all. This is a paid ad not an article.  Pretty obvious.
    Maybe it came to AI from Samsung with an eBike.
    9secondkox2watto_cobrawilliamlondonbaconstanggabr
  • Reply 11 of 29
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    I only purchases displays that do not communicate my usage data back to corporate HQ. Therefore most "Smart Displays" are out.
    9secondkox2watto_cobrabaconstang
  • Reply 12 of 29
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    This isn’t new. The Samsung m8 has been going for a bit. And it doesn’t compare to the studio display. 
  • Reply 13 of 29
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Needs to be tested with a USB-C cable.
    Samsung monitors have quirks in how well they work as non-smart monitors. 
    They are more SmartTV without a tuner than SmartMonitor
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 29
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,320member
    I’m curious when the new Viewfinity is going to be released.
    9secondkox2entropys
  • Reply 15 of 29
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    As much as I prefer the Studio Display I still think Apple is testing our brand loyalty when it comes to the massive up charge for what should be the standard monitor stand, you know, the height adjustable one. The VESA mount should either be standard on anything intended for professional use or be offered at a reduced cost versus models with a proprietary stand. 
    edited May 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 29
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    PASS.
    I want a good looking, reasonably accurate dumbass monitor.  No cameras.  No mics. No speakers.  
    Sigh...

gatorguy
  • Reply 17 of 29
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Samsung is completely off my list for consideration. They excel at electronic components and their mobile phones are top-of-the-line (after iPhone), but that's where the top quality production stops. People can claim otherwise, but I've seen enough to know that there are better brands to be investing money into.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 29
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    hmlongco said:
    4K vs 5K doesn't sound like that much, but that's basically 8.2 million pixels vs 14.75 million pixels!

That's over 30% more resolution on the screen, and that makes a tremendous difference is sharpness and clarity.
    I can understand how many people would think 4K vs 5K is an engineering spec and not a real metric. But spend some real time on a 5K iMac and then go back to 4K and the difference is really noticeable. Sometimes the loss is bigger than the gain even though the delta is the same.
    bageljoeywilliamlondonroundaboutnow
  • Reply 19 of 29
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    PASS.
    I want a good looking, reasonably accurate dumbass monitor.  No cameras.  No mics. No speakers.  
    Sigh...

I always wondered why so few monitors ship with integrated camera and mic. We demand these things in our laptop, why do you not want them on your monitor? 
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 20 of 29
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    sflagel said:
    PASS.
    Sigh...

I always wondered why so few monitors ship with integrated camera and mic. We demand these things in our laptop, why do you not want them on your monitor? 
    Basically because laptops are portable devices that are encapsulated in functionality terms (keyboard, storage, camera, ports, screen etc) so we expect them to have certain features. 

A monitor only really needs to be monitor as it is a stationary device. 'Extras' like cameras can simply be hooked up to them, allowing users to pick and choose what they prefer. 
    baconstang9secondkox2muthuk_vanalingam