iOS 17 rumored to turn an iPhone lock screen into a smart home display

Posted:
in iOS edited May 2023
In preparation for WWDC 2023, Apple is developing a new interface within iOS 17 for iPhones that will act like a smart home display, showcasing essential information.

As reported by Bloomberg, iOS 17 is set to introduce enhanced functionalities to the always-on display hardware, which could potentially serve as a stepping stone towards a future Apple smart display. It's part of a broader effort to incorporate real-time information into various aspects of the company's software.

According to sources familiar with the project, a similar display will emerge when an iPhone is locked and placed horizontally, resembling the Apple Watch in nightstand mode. This feature aims to enhance iPhones' utility when placed on a desk or nightstand, making them more convenient for users in such scenarios.

It will employ a dark background with bright text to enhance readability. This builds upon the lock screen widgets in iOS 16, allowing users to view condensed information, such as stock tickers, news updates, and temperature, below the time on their vertically oriented screen.

The iOS 17 horizontal mode could display calendar appointments, weather, and notifications.

Apple is actively investigating alternative methods to transform its devices into smart-home displays. This includes developing an affordable tablet device that magnetically adheres to walls and stands.

However, progress in that area has been relatively sluggish. The envisioned tablet device holds the potential to become Apple's foray into smart-home displays, intended to regulate devices such as thermostats and lights, display videos, and facilitate FaceTime conversations.

Other features in iOS 17 include notable updates to the iPhone's Wallet app and enhancements to location services. Additionally, a journaling app is set to debut, aiming to introduce note-taking functionality and amplify the social aspect of the device.

The Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) 2023 is set to take place on June 5th at 10:00 am PT, 1:00 pm ET, with announcements for iOS 17 and other products. The event will be accessible for viewing through multiple platforms, including Apple's website, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and YouTube.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    croffordcrofford Posts: 96member
    I wish Apple would take home automation seriously. It’s such a half-assed job so far. 
    WhiskeyAPPLEciderwilliamlondonneo-techMplsPwatto_cobrarezwitsHansJobhumanaftera11
  • Reply 2 of 22
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I’ve long wanted a new UI for the Apple TV that is almost exactly like the “horizontal mode” described here. Maybe add a “Continue Watching” widget and move the current homepage to a second page/tab. Then make the whole thing optional. The old UI is boring and stale, hopefully the Apple TV is one of the devices that get this. 
    WhiskeyAPPLEciderwatto_cobrarezwitsradarthekat
  • Reply 3 of 22
    azentropyazentropy Posts: 57member
    I'd like something like this for my older iPads.
    WhiskeyAPPLEciderwatto_cobraradarthekatdewme
  • Reply 4 of 22
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,631member
    That’s fine so long as it’s an option. Otherwise it’s just a cluttered screen for those who don’t use it. 

Be really great for Apple to do this for older iPhones and iPads. I keep mine and would love to install them around the house with this feature. 
    WhiskeyAPPLEciderwatto_cobrarezwitsradarthekat
  • Reply 5 of 22
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,246member
    I’m extremely frustrated with HomeKit. All the devices that support it are way more expensive due to license fees and many manufacturers leave out HomeKit because of it.
    Hopefully Matter will… matter… to create a more
    mature ecosystem. 

I’m also surprised editing HomeKit scenes and automations is still so much hassle.

This “display widgets when horizontally” makes sense but Android has had it for years now so it’s more a matter of playing catch-up.
    WhiskeyAPPLEciderwilliamlondoncg27MplsPHansJobdewme
  • Reply 6 of 22
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,316member
    Hey guys, don't be excited that something cool is potentially coming, just complain like morons that it wasn't here years ago. Fucking negative nellies.
    MplsPwatto_cobramike1RudeBoyRudy9secondkox2
  • Reply 7 of 22
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,910member
    Hey guys, don't be excited that something cool is potentially coming, just complain like morons that it wasn't here years ago. Fucking negative nellies.
    Yay! HomeKit is expensive and half baked with primitive programming compared to the competition but we get a new control on the Lock Screen. I’m SO STOKED!

is that better?
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingambeowulfschmidtHansJob9secondkox2
  • Reply 8 of 22
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,910member
     Could be useful but I’d rather have a nightstand/clock mode. 

Completely agree with the others- we have a system by Schlage/Nexia (now Trane Home) at home and a HomeKit system at our cabin. Enrolling devices is easier with HomeKit but the Schlage system is so much more powerful and useful. 
    williamlondonHansJob9secondkox2
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Maybe it will just be a pretty picture since the actual home automation software doesn’t work. 
  • Reply 10 of 22
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,755member
    How do you really become effective with HomeKit, without a home Mac server, Apple mesh router, some type of doorbell, cameras, or HVAC control, in short the whole nine yards software and hardware, and since Apple isn’t a monopoly most of those third-party device companies will never support Apple, not in any meaningful way that is up to the level Apple or its customers expect?
    HansJob
  • Reply 11 of 22
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    If this new horizontal Home Screen is true I would also expect to see a new Apple charging stand, and/or a HomePod with a dock. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,316member
    MplsP said:
    Yay! HomeKit is expensive and half baked with primitive programming compared to the competition but we get a new control on the Lock Screen. I’m SO STOKED!

is that better?
    More like childish. Well done.
    watto_cobradesignrmike1RudeBoyRudy9secondkox2
  • Reply 13 of 22
    crofford said:
    I wish Apple would take home automation seriously. It’s such a half-assed job so far. 
    Me and my 70+ HomeKit devices that work perfectly strongly disagree with this statement.
    designrRudeBoyRudyrezwits
  • Reply 14 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member
    designr said:
    crofford said:
    Maybe it will just be a pretty picture since the actual home automation software doesn’t work. 
    Really? How so?

I have an admittedly simpler HomeKit setup (few lights, couple of plugs, automations based on temperature changes) and it seems to work fine.

Works fine in much larger setups too. My system includes many outlets, bulbs, cameras, thermostat and various sensors.
    designrrezwits
  • Reply 15 of 22
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 931member
    I’d use this. My watch in nights teen mode has long been appreciated. 
  • Reply 16 of 22
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,246member
    designr said:
    Only for iPhone with always on displays?

Or even the older ones, but while wirelessly charging.

• Reply 17 of 22
    crofford said:
    Me and my 70+ HomeKit devices that work perfectly strongly disagree with this statement.
    Somehow I don’t think you’re being completely honest there. Or you’re not using it as a real home automation system. As a significant investor for 30 years and somewhat experienced technical person, there’s absolutely no reason for me to be negative on the technology other than it’s actual performance. 
    HansJob
  • Reply 18 of 22
    HansJobHansJob Posts: 5member
    crofford said:
    I have one Schlage lock in my home. 80% of the time, HomeKit can’t even determine the status of the lock. It’s absolutely pitiful technology. 
    muthuk_vanalingam9secondkox2
  • Reply 19 of 22
    designr said:
    crofford said:
    crofford said:
    Somehow I don’t think you’re being completely honest there. Or you’re not using it as a real home automation system. As a significant investor for 30 years and somewhat experienced technical person, there’s absolutely no reason for me to be negative on the technology other than it’s actual performance. 
    Could you elaborate a bit?

I'm genuinely curious. Again mostly because my (admittedly simpler setup) has worked fine (and improved with the latest software upgrades).

Some people are making broad and absolute statements (e.g., "It’s absolutely pitiful technology.", "It’s such a half-assed job so far.", "HomeKit is expensive and half baked with primitive programming compared to the competition." ) but providing little detail to tell us why they think this.
    I stated why it is pitiful technology, reread my comment. 
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 20 of 22
    designr said:
    HansJob said:
    designr said:
    crofford said:
    crofford said:
    Could you elaborate a bit?

I'm genuinely curious. Again mostly because my (admittedly simpler setup) has worked fine (and improved with the latest software upgrades).

Some people are making broad and absolute statements (e.g., "It’s absolutely pitiful technology.", "It’s such a half-assed job so far.", "HomeKit is expensive and half baked with primitive programming compared to the competition." ) but providing little detail to tell us why they think this.
    I stated why it is pitiful technology, reread my comment. 
    I did read your full comment. You gave one example of one issue and then made a broad and absolute statement: "it is pitiful technology". Not "it has this bug that frustrates me—a lot—and they need to fix it." No. Instead "it is pitiful technology."
    I’m happy that your setup works for you. If you look on other forums, you will see that HomeKit is still a hot mess. 

In my case, it’s the most basic technology that could possibly exist. Open, close. Lock, unlock. Query status. It’s faster for me to key in my pass code manually. HomeKit can take upwards of 10 seconds to lock or unlock the deadbolt, if it feels like doing so.

I’m not going to invest hundreds or thousands of dollars on an unreliable platform “cuz Apple”. I dipped my toes in and it’s frustrating as hell. I leave my house and my door is unlocked. Fantastic.

If HomeKit can’t handle a simple operation like a deadbolt, I’m afraid I can’t trust it with anything more complex. I would love to be able to, honestly, but at this point I see it as another half baked product that has been rushed out the door without proper and rapid fixes.  

designrmuthuk_vanalingam