'Ted Lasso' finale event at Paley Center scuttled, probably because of writers's strike

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2023
The end of the third season of "Ted Lasso" will likely be the end of the series, and it looks like it won't be going out with a bang at the Paley Center in Beverly Hills.

Ted Lasso
Ted Lasso

The Paley Center for Media initially announced the season finale celebration in April of this year. However, Variety reports the institution has decided to cancel the upcoming event due to "unforeseen circumstances."

The event was scheduled to take place on Tuesday, May 30.

"We are reaching out to share the news that due to unforeseen circumstances the Ted Lasso' season finale screening and event planned for Tuesday, May 30, 2023, at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills will not be taking place as scheduled," the Paley Center said in a statement on Thursday. "All ticket buyers will automatically be issued a full refund. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any questions, please email [email protected] and a representative will get back to you as soon as possible."

The event, had it gone according to plan, would have featured the majority of the show's stars, including Jason Sudeikis (Ted Lasso), Hannah Waddingham (Rebecca Walton), Juno Temple (Keeley Jones), Nick Mohammed (Nathan Shelley), Brendan Hunt (Coach Beard), and Phil Dunster (Jamie Tartt), among others. Chris Evans, of Virgin Radio UK, was set to moderate the panel.

The original report makes note that the ongoing writer's strike is probably playing a role in the cancellation of the event. Both Sudeikis and Hunt are part of the WGA, and writers on the show.

"Ted Lasso" has a history with the Paley Center for Media, with the show making a panel appearance back in 2021.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    Very rude.
    JP234
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Actually, I'll probably get flamed for this, but also probably because this season 3 is a DISASTER of wild proportions for a show that had a fantastic first 2 seasons. Every episode nearly an hour? So many new characters brought in and sent packing without reason. The stupidest of story points - there was always silliness but there was heart behind it but tying string to their willies? JFC.

The problem was that the showrunner/head writer left the show (to do Shrinking - which is solid). That left Jason who's a fantastic comedic talent but with NO actual running a sitcom writing experience to take over. Hopefully he doesn't choose to try that again. No doubt he was part of the writing staff that put the first two seasons together but clearly didn't learn enough to be in charge. I also think he's probably too nice of a guy and wanted to give ALL the regulars some BIG STORYlines and scenes that didn't add up to anything. 

I, like many, fell in love with the characters so I'm barely hanging on till the end. But I've actually turned it off mid episode more than a few times this season. 
    JP234
  • Reply 3 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Actually, I'll probably get flamed for this, but also probably because this season 3 is a DISASTER of wild proportions for a show that had a fantastic first 2 seasons. Every episode nearly an hour? So many new characters brought in and sent packing without reason. The stupidest of story points - there was always silliness but there was heart behind it but tying string to their willies? JFC.

The problem was that the showrunner/head writer left the show (to do Shrinking - which is solid). That left Jason who's a fantastic comedic talent but with NO actual running a sitcom writing experience to take over. Hopefully he doesn't choose to try that again. No doubt he was part of the writing staff that put the first two seasons together but clearly didn't learn enough to be in charge. I also think he's probably too nice of a guy and wanted to give ALL the regulars some BIG STORYlines and scenes that didn't add up to anything. 

I, like many, fell in love with the characters so I'm barely hanging on till the end. But I've actually turned it off mid episode more than a few times this season. 
    I was a latecomer to Ted Lasso and only finished up seasons one and two in the past month. It's not a horrid start to the 3rd season, but not great either.  It's not the same show and I hadn't really thought about why.  I do know it's losing my interest.
    JP234
  • Reply 4 of 8
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member

I agree. I chuckled a little bit in yesterdays episode and it took me by surprise. I then realized I hadn’t laughed at all for the last several episodes. At least. It will be interesting to see if this season still qualifies for trophies in the comedy categories come awards season. 
  • Reply 5 of 8
    RudeBoyRudyRudeBoyRudy Posts: 106member
    JP234 said:
    Let me weigh in on season 3, too. And agree that something has changed. The emphasis has become less about an underdog soccer team and their clueless coach, and more about the challenges of being gay or getting in touch with feelings. Sure, those are valid issues, and topical to boot. But is Ted Lasso necessarily the best forum to address them? One thing is sure, it's definitely not funny.

Ok, boomer. 

The show has always been about "getting in touch with feelings." sorry you missed out on the concept.
    chasmJapheytmaybyronl
  • Reply 6 of 8
    'Ted Lasso' finale event at Paley Center scuttled, probably because of writers's strike'Ted Lasso' finale event at Paley Center scuttled, probably because of writers's strike.
    Obviously having an impact even at Appleinsider. :D
  • Reply 7 of 8
    JP234 said:
    Let me weigh in on season 3, too. And agree that something has changed. The emphasis has become less about an underdog soccer team and their clueless coach, and more about the challenges of being gay or getting in touch with feelings. Sure, those are valid issues, and topical to boot. But is Ted Lasso necessarily the best forum to address them? One thing is sure, it's definitely not funny.

Ok, boomer. 

The show has always been about "getting in touch with feelings." sorry you missed out on the concept.
    Seriously, anyone that thought the show was about an “underdog soccer team and their clueless coach” completely missed the point. 
    byronlJP234