Tim Cook: Apple Vision Pro tech is mindblowing, and will be too expensive for many

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,873member
    danox said:
    avon b7 said:
    Cook in Marketing Mode. I get it but it still irks.

It definitely is about isolation. There is no other way out of that. It can be about connection too, though. It's both. 

Trying to deflect like that really doesn't help very much.

There are dangers but also a lot to be positive about (except the price, of course. LOL) 
    When books were first made, everyone probably said the same thing about books, you’re sitting, you’re isolated. What are you doing? Are you a bookworm? The more things change the more they remain the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFvXuyITwBI

The Vision cost that much for a reason, and in the first eight minutes of this video, it’s very evident why and it has a new OS designed just for it.

A new ecosystem has just been created…… many will discounted it at first but Apple may have did it again, and after watching the first eight minutes of that video and Apples presentation, I really do need to buy more Apple shares.

That's the newspaper line again. 

It doesn't work like that. Reading is not immersion isolation no matter how into the text you are. 

VR literally isolates you on a sensorial level from the outside world. 

Just ask anyone who has tried that collapsing skyscraper scene on a Quest. Although you are standing firmly on your feet in your living room you will wobble as you slowly become convinced that you are really on a ledge hundreds of feet above ground. 

Saying that, if someone comes in on you, you are made aware of the fact, only works when you allow it to happen. Singles or people who simply close the door of their room will be isolated. 

This is not an exclusive Vision Pro problem. 

It's universal to all immersive VR (and to a lesser extent, video games) 

radarthekat
  • Reply 22 of 45
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,770member
    How many times does he get the “spatial computing” buzzword in on average during his interviews?
    Not as often as Zuck drops “metaverse” in his. 
    robin huberbaconstangkestralwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 45
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 101member
    bluefire1 said:
    Interesting device. Not for me.
    Literally the best response I’ve read in this thread so far. Honestly. Thanks for that! 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 45
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,873member
    rjacobson said:
    kestral said:
    When you consider that the goggles literally give you a high quality monitor the size of your entire width and depth of vision, it's way cheaper than a Pro Display XDR. That feature alone justifies the pricing.
    If you have the money, which I do not as a retiree. I do good to update my MacBook and iPad Pro every 4-5 years, pay for iphone upgrade program with monthly payments.  And as a retiree does not fit with what I do at home with my wife (kids all grown and gone) in terms of watching TV or whatever.  Now as retired geologist if I were working  (maybe consulting) I could see some cool computing uses and not needing space for all the big displays. But at 72 not planning such any more (thought about consulting when I retired in 2007 but things did not work.  So probably not justifiable for us right now or near future. Down road who knows.
    There's a slightly worrying use case for you. 

Imagine a system that could generate a younger version of yourself from old photos. Your new avatar. Then map your house down to the cm level. 

You whack on your headset and walk over to your virtual mirror on the wall and... behold!

Now your partner whacks on her/her headset and you can guess the rest.

If you start pumping old memories, sounds and smells into that VR scene it really could be convincing. 

I'm kidding of course, but just a little! 

That kind of scenario would appeal to many. 
    robin huberbaconstang
  • Reply 25 of 45
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,523member
    I have no doubt that once the Vision Pro hits the market and is something anyone can walk into an Apple Store and purchase, a fair number of those seeing the price as a purchase inhibitor today will find a way to scrape together the money to buy it. The only question will be whether it’s paper money, plastic money, or tap-to-pay electronic money. 

A lot of people who appear to be “regular,” whether they actually are or not, and only on the outside, have hobbies, interests, and other passions where real money is somehow magically transformed into “fun money” that gets spent with little regard to practicality. Maybe this is what we call “disposable income” and it’s only a matter of the regulars, irregulars, and irrationals deciding which form of disposal they’re going to stuff this money into. 

For some folks on this spectrum it’s golf, or sailing, or buying a Harley Davidson, or getting body piercings and tattoos, or buying a designer doodle dog, or bringing their $100K sports car to track days, or taking cruises, or bringing a family of four to Disney World for three days, or renting a cottage on Cape Cod for a week, or buying rare baseball cards or action figures, or photography, or a shop full of wood working tools, or anything else that provides a measure of joy to their otherwise ordinary and pragmatic existence. 

Of course all such purchases, and excluding things like gambling and/or drug addictions, rely on having a certain level discretionary income or dialing back in other areas of their lives.  But for a seller of highly compelling products, there is plenty of cash floating around to support high levels of discretionary spending. Heck, businesses like Best Buy, B&H Photo, Crutchfield and much of the city of Las Vegas would not exist if it were not for the massive pool of disposable income out there trying to find a drain to swirl into. 

Apple Vision Pro too expensive? Nah. In a world in which nearly 20 billion dollars is wagered on a single sporting event (NFL Super Bowl) I’m rather inclined to believe that those AVP puppies will all find a home. I’m not going to try to convince my neighbor across the street who just dropped 20+ grand for a new Harley that gets used twice a month, not to mention the cost of the compulsory tattoos and branded leather clothing, that he should have found some more “practical” use for that money. 

People do have money to spend. Apple knows this. They’ve come up with ingenious ways to lure the folks with discretionary income out of hiding and into an Apple Store. Apple knows peope have money to spend and Apple would like nothing more than to help them dispose of some of it with Apple. In a world of cheap Android phones and craptastic PCs, even Apple doesn’t really have to exist. But somehow they seem to be soldiering on quite nicely. Go figure. 
    edited June 2023 eightzerorobin huberdanoxbaconstangroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 45
    ZSAYZSAY Posts: 4member
    I usually enjoy being an early high tech adopter. I won’t mind paying $3.5k for the VisionPro.  But what I would hate is one year later there is a VisionPro 2! Any insight on the upgrade cycle?
    edited June 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 45
    baka-dubbsbaka-dubbs Posts: 177member
    What I want to know is how much the 4k screens and pixel layout reduces the screen door effect.  I'm currently using the PSVR 2, which has 2K screens for each eye, and does foveated rendering like the Vision Pro will.  The screen door effect is much improved over prior VR headsets i have used, but its not gone completely.  That's why I am wondering if you can only replicate the screen of a Mac, vs creating a bigger "higher resolution" screen in the device.  Several people who have tried it(I'll reference Nilay Patel but there are others) have mentioned that there are some FOV  limitations with the headset(IE, your periphery is still significantly obstructed).  Basically, it still has some of same issues that other headsets have.   Also, is the default refresh 90, 120, 144 etc?  Sub pixel structure, FOV and refresh have a massive impact on eye comfort when using a headset like this.  

That being said, everyone is saying its the best experience they have had with a VR/AR headset.  So if I can stream PS5/PC games(like i can with iPad) as well as use all of my standalone streaming services with the device, its very compelling proposition. This is a wait until gen 2 or 3 device for me, but I will be watching very closely.    
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 45
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,096member
    dewme said:
    I have no doubt that once the Vision Pro hits the market and is something anyone can walk into an Apple Store and purchase, a fair number of those seeing the price as a purchase inhibitor today will find a way to scrape together the money to buy it. The only question will be whether it’s paper money, plastic money, or tap-to-pay electronic money. 

A lot of people who appear to be “regular,” whether they actually are or not, and only on the outside, have hobbies, interests, and other passions where real money is somehow magically transformed into “fun money” that gets spent with little regard to practicality. Maybe this is what we call “disposable income” and it’s only a matter of the regulars, irregulars, and irrationals deciding which form of disposal they’re going to stuff this money into. 

For some folks on this spectrum it’s golf, or sailing, or buying a Harley Davidson, or getting body piercings and tattoos, or buying a designer doodle dog, or bringing their $100K sports car to track days, or taking cruises, or bringing a family of four to Disney World for three days, or renting a cottage on Cape Cod for a week, or buying rare baseball cards or action figures, or photography, or a shop full of wood working tools, or anything else that provides a measure of joy to their otherwise ordinary and pragmatic existence. 

Of course all such purchases, and excluding things like gambling and/or drug addictions, rely on having a certain level discretionary income or dialing back in other areas of their lives.  But for a seller of highly compelling products, there is plenty of cash floating around to support high levels of discretionary spending. Heck, businesses like Best Buy, B&H Photo, Crutchfield and much of the city of Las Vegas would not exist if it were not for the massive pool of disposable income out there trying to find a drain to swirl into. 

Apple Vision Pro too expensive? Nah. In a world in which nearly 20 billion dollars is wagered on a single sporting event (NFL Super Bowl) I’m rather inclined to believe that those AVP puppies will all find a home. I’m not going to try to convince my neighbor across the street who just dropped 20+ grand for a new Harley that gets used twice a month, not to mention the cost of the compulsory tattoos and branded leather clothing, that he should have found some more “practical” use for that money. 

People do have money to spend. Apple knows this. They’ve come up with ingenious ways to lure the folks with discretionary income out of hiding and into an Apple Store. They money to spend and Apple would like nothing more than helping them dispose of some of it. In a world of cheap Android phones and craptastic PCs, even Apple doesn’t really have to exist. But somehow they seem to be soldiering on quite nicely. Go figure. 
    Spot on, yes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 45
    tshapitshapi Posts: 371member
    You know apple will apply the same method it has to the iPhone and Apple Watch. Every year they come out with a new model, the previous model will become more affordable allowing for mass adoption, while the new model will adjust in price as components become more affordable. 
    williamlondoneightzeroradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 45
    $3,499 in 2023 would be $1,198.39 in 1984 when Macintosh debuted at $2,495. 
    robin huberwilliamlondonbaconstangkestralradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 45
    dangaiohdangaioh Posts: 16member
    I watched the show. Tim Cook never acknowledged that Apple Vision Pro is too expensive for many. When pressed on whether or not the average person could afford it Cook said he didn't know. We know this is a lie, but the CEO of Apple can't say anything negative about their latest product. His own design team wanted to hold off on it until they could produce AR glasses. So, Apple develops an expensive piece of hardware, gets "Disney" to help promote it at WWDC 2023 to kids and familes, but Cook doesn't know if the average person can afford it. Gimme a break!
    edited June 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 45
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,989member
    Don’t want to sound arrogant, but I made what turned out to be a very good decision a few years into my  second college teaching job back in 1985. I bought $10,000 worth of Apple stock as a retirement investment. I’ve held onto it all these years, plus bought a couple more similar sized blocks along the way. Can’t tell you how many times people begged me to “sell it before it drops.” Apple has amply rewarded my faith in it by making it possible to keep myself up to date with their latest products just on dividends alone. Vision Pro will be one more treat. 
    williamlondoneightzerobaconstangkestralradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 45
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,090member
    rjacobson said:
    $3500 in 2023 isn't really that expensive relative to the history of personal computing. It's not a price point for everyone but it's nothing outrageous especially when you start including inflation as part of the calculations. And one look at the pricing for really large 4K OLED TVs and you start to see the "value" aspect pretty quickly. LG 77-83 inch TVs in that size are easily in the $3500 range...and they don't include an M2 spatial computer as part of the deal. 
    Well that would be true if my disposable income as a retiree from the State of Illinois were enough to have a house to have such of large TV/home theatre let alone pay the money for such a setup.  I have to plan my apple device purchases  and do my Mac and ipad every 4-5 years (just did with money saved over the time since last getting them) The iphone upgrade program made iphone affordable to me ect.
    Only time will tell, but that M2 processor makes it essentially a very small Mac (maybe the smallest ever) with a great display and the R1 one co-processor, once it becomes available to reviewer’s and the public, many questions will be answered, on the outside looking in it looks like it will replace maybe one or two existing Apple devices if you want it to.
    edited June 2023 baconstangkestralradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 45
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,090member
    dangaioh said:
    I watched the show. Tim Cook never acknowledged that Apple Vision Pro is too expensive for many. When pressed on whether or not the average person could afford it Cook said he didn't know. We know this is a lie, but the CEO of Apple can't say anything negative about their latest product. His own design team wanted to hold off on it until they could produce AR glasses. So, Apple develops an expensive piece of hardware, gets "Disney" to help promote it at WWDC 2023 to kids and familes, but Cook doesn't know if the average person can afford it. Gimme a break!
    Many can afford it if they save up my first computer a Amiga 1000 was bought in 1986 for $2600 dollars, of course hindsight being 20/20 I should’ve bought Apple shares instead.
    williamlondonking editor the gratebaconstangradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 45
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    The new Safari Webapp feature is for the VP. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 45
    danox said:
    rjacobson said:
    $3500 in 2023 isn't really that expensive relative to the history of personal computing. It's not a price point for everyone but it's nothing outrageous especially when you start including inflation as part of the calculations. And one look at the pricing for really large 4K OLED TVs and you start to see the "value" aspect pretty quickly. LG 77-83 inch TVs in that size are easily in the $3500 range...and they don't include an M2 spatial computer as part of the deal. 
    Well that would be true if my disposable income as a retiree from the State of Illinois were enough to have a house to have such of large TV/home theatre let alone pay the money for such a setup.  I have to plan my apple device purchases  and do my Mac and ipad every 4-5 years (just did with money saved over the time since last getting them) The iphone upgrade program made iphone affordable to me ect.
    Only time will tell, but that M2 processor makes it essentially a very small Mac (maybe the smallest ever) with a great display and the R1 one co-processor, once it becomes available to reviewer’s and the public, many questions will be answered, on the outside looking in it looks like it will replace maybe one or two existing Apple devices if you want it to.
    Indeed. One's adoption of tech is a very personal choice. I know many young people who own exactly one computing device: their phone (usually an iPhone) and this was something that didn't exist before 2007. They don't own desktops or laptops or even iPads. They don't own a "stereo" or "turntable" or "tape deck" or "DVD player" and even a few not even a "TV." So too people in an urban environment don't have "cars" and by US standards that's near heresy. At the end of the day, having consumer choices is good for everyone. And predicting what the future holds based on today's current technological offerings is a fool's errand. 
    baconstangkestralradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 45
    JP234 said:
    If you want to have fun with a new toy, spend $5,000 VisionPro (with AppleCare and sales tax, even more if you need vision correction).
    If you want to get one for free, buy $3,500 of stock in Apple and hold it until VisionPro (or Vision non-pro) becomes mainstream. Eventually the profits from your investment will pay for headsets for the whole family. And you'll still have your original investment.

It's called deferred gratification. Something really hard to find in 2023 American consumers.
    and be how many years older? wait, just take that money and newer headset with you when you die. tradeoffs, no?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 45
    JP234 said:
    eightzero said:
    JP234 said:
    If you want to have fun with a new toy, spend $5,000 VisionPro (with AppleCare and sales tax, even more if you need vision correction).
    If you want to get one for free, buy $3,500 of stock in Apple and hold it until VisionPro (or Vision non-pro) becomes mainstream. Eventually the profits from your investment will pay for headsets for the whole family. And you'll still have your original investment.

It's called deferred gratification. Something really hard to find in 2023 American consumers.
    and be how many years older? wait, just take that money and newer headset with you when you die. tradeoffs, no?
    See, you're exactly who I'm talking about! Can't wait for anything. If you can't afford it, just pay in easy installments. And break it before you finish paying for it.
    Yep. There's no promise of tomorrow for any of us...and one thing for sure...no one gets out of here alive. :-D
    JP234
  • Reply 39 of 45
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,382member
    dewme said:

People do have money to spend. Apple knows this. They’ve come up with ingenious ways to lure the folks with discretionary income out of hiding and into an Apple Store. Apple knows peope have money to spend and Apple would like nothing more than to help them dispose of some of it with Apple. In a world of cheap Android phones and craptastic PCs, even Apple doesn’t really have to exist. But somehow they seem to be soldiering on quite nicely. Go figure. 
    So true but there will be options to buy it cheaper going forward. I mean Apple will update every year probably with the iPhone* and probably try to keep old model at lower price once the supply chain catches up. Which will set the price a for condition second hand unit a couple $200 below that. 

Yes it will be in my lotto winning apple store bag. 

*guessing but it is now the driver of chip development. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 45
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,681member
    eightzero said:
    Many commenters here have hit the points well, but any tech is a personal choice about the value. Yes, $3500 is not a trivial amount, but there are plenty of other entertainment systems (or work platforms) in this range that offer less capability. There are many potential users that will feel $3500 is a bargain. Others less so. My guess is that this will go like Apple's other tech innovations, notably the watch. Panned at first (as was the iPad) and now are ubiquitous. 

The Varjo XR-3 costs almost $7,000, plus it requires a subscription which costs over $1500/yr. And it requires a "certified" Varjo-ready computer.

The "Focal" edition starts at $16,000.
    watto_cobra