Will the Vision Pro headset disrupt the high-end TV market?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    Probably not, though I wonder if Apple TV+ will start pushing production houses to make TV filmed in VisionPro friendly formats.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 37
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,255member
    Hmm, time for the application of Betteridge’s Law of Headlines.
    williamlondonwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 23 of 37
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,684member
    A clip of SJ from 2005 regarding his views on VR
    Wow, that was an insightful clip. I probably saw it, but completely forgot about it.

There's probably more than one way to spin that clip, but it seems to me that Steve just couldn't foresee the future there. He was imperfect. At least it wasn't as bad as Bill Gates' statement, "640K of RAM is enough for everyone." We've passed 640M and we're near 640G now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 37
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,442member
    High end is about the shared experience.... So no 
    Might mean smaller sizes disappear faster out of production.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 37
    tshapitshapi Posts: 372member
    I think it's unlikely to disrupt the high end TV market; or any end of the TV market for that matter.  As @Canukstorm mentioned, TV/movie consumption tends to be highly social.  The VP is decidedly the opposite of social.  If anything the VP will most likely augment the high end TV market as another toy in the toybox.  Just as an audiophile might have a listening room brimming with speakers, they'll also probably have various headphones - open back, closed, over/on ear, iem; etc.  Videophile might have a state of the art home theater and still have an iPad handy for casual watching.  The VP would fit somewhere in between.  

Unrelated.  Why have no outlets said a word about the top strap head accessory for the Vision Pro?  I'm guessing it's there to relieve fatigue after long viewing sessions. idk.  I do know it looks like an afterthought.  For anyone not familiar with what I'm referencing, look at Apple's video where the dad is filming his kids wearing the VP.  It sports an inelegant top strap.
    I read that it’s there to help balance the weight of the device 
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Not in any large percentages.  For the truly high end enthusiast, they are not going to want to stream content at lower bitrates.  They may be 4k screens per eye, but the area the TV will  be taking up won't be 4K.  For audiophiles, they aren't going to get the base/volume clarity out of the built in speakers.  No sitting with family/friends/significant others.  I am not going to invite friends over to watch a game and expect them all to have AVP's so we can watch on different big virtual screens...

I am very excited for its potential, but I really think this is a supplemental device in its current state.  I use VR headsets, you will hit a limit on how long you can comfortably wear this headset, even as light as it is.  It is going to squeeze your head to stay in place, you would not want to work all day wearing this headset.  Based on the hands on I am reading, this is a device that blows away prior AR/VR experiences, but it still has some of the same shortfalls of other headsets.  

At least for the "won't be 4K" part, you're missing the crucial part.  "Foveated Rendering".  The Vision Pro tracts your eye movements and directs the highest resolution to where you're looking.  So yes, technically the TV + the surroundings are 4K total, so that the TV part isn't the entire 4K, but when you're looking AT THE TV, it gets the full 4K resolution and the periphery gets down-rezzed.  Looks over at the periphery and that gets the high-rez` budget instantly while you're looking there.

I wouldn't make any assumptions one way or the other when it comes to Apple. Doing so runs the risk of sounding like Steve Balmer with the the iPhone, or the now infamous quote about the iPod when it first came out: "No wireless? Less space than a Nomad? Lame". 

We all know how that one turned out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 37
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 677member
    No. Next Betteridge type headline please.
    mattinoz
  • Reply 28 of 37
    omasouomasou Posts: 611member
    omasou said:
    In watching the demonstration, I think it will.

Not having to mess w/screens, projectors and x.1 sound systems could be huge.
    Watching TV / movies is predominantly a social experience enjoyed with friends and family.  Unless the Vision Pro can maintain that social aspect, it will not be upending the TV market especially considering that Apple has brought FaceTime to Apple TV.
    How is sitting in the dark, not talking and stuffing my face w/popcorn a social event?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 37
    friedmudfriedmud Posts: 165member
    Two things:

1.  Why take a dumb swipe at the battery life on a plane?  Every plane seat has electrical plugs underneath it.  I can’t wait to use mine on a plane - in so many ways.

2.  This won’t do anything to disrupt my TVs and home theater systems - but I bet it will for some.  The 20-30 year old crowd often lives in small apartments and alone… I could see this working well for them.  They are already not buying many TVs as they get by using their phones/iPads/computers to stream shows.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 37
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,732member
    chutzpah said:
    Probably not, though I wonder if Apple TV+ will start pushing production houses to make TV filmed in VisionPro friendly formats.
    You know they will.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 37
    CloudTalkinCloudTalkin Posts: 916member
    tshapi said:
    I think it's unlikely to disrupt the high end TV market; or any end of the TV market for that matter.  As @Canukstorm mentioned, TV/movie consumption tends to be highly social.  The VP is decidedly the opposite of social.  If anything the VP will most likely augment the high end TV market as another toy in the toybox.  Just as an audiophile might have a listening room brimming with speakers, they'll also probably have various headphones - open back, closed, over/on ear, iem; etc.  Videophile might have a state of the art home theater and still have an iPad handy for casual watching.  The VP would fit somewhere in between.  

Unrelated.  Why have no outlets said a word about the top strap head accessory for the Vision Pro?  I'm guessing it's there to relieve fatigue after long viewing sessions. idk.  I do know it looks like an afterthought.  For anyone not familiar with what I'm referencing, look at Apple's video where the dad is filming his kids wearing the VP.  It sports an inelegant top strap.
    I read that it’s there to help balance the weight of the device 
    That doesn't make sense.  If it was needed for balance, it would be an integral piece and marketed as part of the device.  It's not at all.  The visual representation of the VP is shown almost exclusively without the strap.  The strap isn't shown on the Vision Pro tab at apple.com.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 559member
    Unrelated.  Why have no outlets said a word about the top strap head accessory for the Vision Pro?  

I believe that it was mentioned as an option, not a requirement. Some may want it. Some may not.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    High end TVs? Probably not. Large TVs? Possibly. Especially for those who're single and may be living in smaller apartments.

As far as that goes, I could easily see this as the next "must have" device for kids going off to college. Be great for dorm rooms.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 34 of 37
    hydrogen said:
    Steve Jobs clearly explained the reason why Apple stood away from TV market : much too slow renewal cycle
    Same here. In fact, I'd expect the renewal cycle for headsets to be on par with notebooks and iPads.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    JP234 said:
    Apple has done an admirable job marketing the VP as a consumer device. I was completely wowed by the possibilities. Loved the presentations showing people using it for work, play, etc. and was so distracted by the shiny bits I thought nothing about the elephant in the room. Seeing a parent interacting with his child without ever taking it off seemed like just the next step in our disconnect from the world around us. I saw the previous step when I started to see people with their strollers, ignoring their children and surroundings while texting on their iPhones. Then I saw them with AirPods blocking out ambient sounds as well.

Why would people rather be on the phone, or now this headset, with someone who isn't present when there are people right there with them?

BTW, it may be more stylish than the competition, but you'll still look like a pencil-neck geek wearing it on your face.
    Ok boomer, the headset can be taken off at any time.  Many early impressions of it have even said that it'll be uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.  If it gets in the way, take it off.  No problem.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    JP234 said:
    chutzpah said:
    JP234 said:
    Apple has done an admirable job marketing the VP as a consumer device. I was completely wowed by the possibilities. Loved the presentations showing people using it for work, play, etc. and was so distracted by the shiny bits I thought nothing about the elephant in the room. Seeing a parent interacting with his child without ever taking it off seemed like just the next step in our disconnect from the world around us. I saw the previous step when I started to see people with their strollers, ignoring their children and surroundings while texting on their iPhones. Then I saw them with AirPods blocking out ambient sounds as well.

Why would people rather be on the phone, or now this headset, with someone who isn't present when there are people right there with them?

BTW, it may be more stylish than the competition, but you'll still look like a pencil-neck geek wearing it on your face.
    Ok boomer, the headset can be taken off at any time.  Many early impressions of it have even said that it'll be uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.  If it gets in the way, take it off.  No problem.
    So if that heroin you've been shooting becomes uncomfortable when your veins break down, just quit, not problem, right? And if alcoholism costs you your career, your health, your friends and your family, just quit drinking, right? You gambling cost you your home, your car and your wife & kids, just stop, right? Cigarettes giving you breathing problems, just stop, right? So why are these moms and dads ignoring their own children to text with someone about what they had for brunch? (Hint: because it's addictive. Comparing an iPhone to VisionPro will be akin to comparing caffeine to Oxycontin.)
    What weird comparisons. I don’t follow how drug addiction, alcohol addiction, gambling addiction and nicotine addiction are the same as sending a text message.

You seem worried about parents ignoring their kids to send a text message, which takes maybe 10 seconds, while I remember my parents, and all of my friends parents, shushing us so they could continue walking around the house talking to their neighbor while tethered to their landline phone, chatting about whatever. Nobody was comparing telephone usage to heroin addiction.

Smart phones are hugely convenient and sending a quick text message that says, “Hey, want to meet for brunch tomorrow?” is much better than trying to call someone, hoping they can answer (answering for me is not always possible because I’m spending time with my children), greeting each other, having a little chit-chat and then saying, “Hey, want to meet for brunch tomorrow?” or leaving a voicemail that says the same thing which they then have to navigate to on their phone, listen to (or read), etc before replying. Sending that same text message is even better than that when you consider I can send to multiple people at once instead of having to make multiple phone calls. Think of all the time away from my children if I have to call and have conversations with 4 people.

You’re also worried about the guy making a video of his kids using VP. Every birthday celebration I go to there’s at least one person (usually several) who have their phone out and are taking pictures or recording a video. Same goes for anniversary parties, holiday gatherings, etc. That’s how we preserve memories. Guess what, my mom, my MIL and all my friend’s parents have photo albums at their houses. Those photo albums aren’t empty, someone had a camera in front of them, taking photos of events they wanted to remember. Just because someone uses VP to make a video doesn’t mean they are required to wear it all day and not interact with other people. Again, what a weird take.

If you want to talk about addiction to technology, maybe you should take note that you have 1488 posts in 17 months on this site, that’s almost 90 posts a month. I’ve been on this site for 18 years and have fewer than 9 posts a month. Maybe you should take a break from your screen and spend some more time with your family. I’m just conveying a little concern.
    muthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller