2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 230member
    I would like either heatset.

They sound great for the winter.
    HirsuteJim
  • Reply 22 of 38
    I think it's really not that helpful to compare the Meta headsets to the Apple Vision Pro.  From what I saw, despite the inclusion of home use in the keynote, they aren't intended for the same markets.  At least not right now.  I'd suspect that the AVP is instead competition for the Vario XR3, or HoloLens, both of which are in the same price range.

There might in the future be a version of Apple's headset more targeted at consumer use, but this one is, IMO, aimed squarely at professional use.
    williamlondonmattinoz9secondkox2HirsuteJimFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 23 of 38
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 230member
    In the demos that people had, did anybody witness EyeSight actually working?
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 24 of 38
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member

Apple vs Meta - Meatspace management

What in blazes is “meatspace management”?  Is this some sort of anti-vegan community management tool?
    I heard the term "meatspace" several years ago and it refers to meeting in person vs remotely -- real bodies in the same location. Like the difference between "hardware" (computers) and "wetwear" (brains) or say "game fest" gatherings with guys and gals vs "sausage fest" which is only guys.  
    HirsuteJimFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 25 of 38
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,723member
    larryjw said:

What in blazes is “meatspace management”?  Is this some sort of anti-vegan community management tool?
    I heard the term "meatspace" several years ago and it refers to meeting in person vs remotely -- real bodies in the same location. Like the difference between "hardware" (computers) and "wetwear" (brains) or say "game fest" gatherings with guys and gals vs "sausage fest" which is only guys.  
    Ha! Sausage Fest! 

That would raise a few eyebrows in my neck of the woods!

I've occasionally heard meatspace to refer to the real (non-virtual) world. 
  • Reply 26 of 38
    riverkoriverko Posts: 223member
    Somehow hearing Zuck say - that’s not what i want - is like all the people saying - if i don’t want it/if i don’t have use for it, it is useless.
    Also i don’t mind seeing people sitting alone with Vision Pro on their couch. What should they do? Be in a cafe with it on their heads? I mean, we already had that - anyone remembers internet cafés? 50 people sitting in one room very close to each other and totally ignoring each other, chatting with people in some other part of the world… i thought we were past this era :)
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 27 of 38
    omasouomasou Posts: 578member
    It will all come down to is the device comfortable enough to wear for long periods of time w/o fatigue.
    edited June 2023 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 28 of 38
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,355member
    avon b7 said:
    larryjw said:

Ha! Sausage Fest! 

That would raise a few eyebrows in my neck of the woods!

I've occasionally heard meatspace to refer to the real (non-virtual) world. 
    Meatspace was notably an alternative for MySpace, so its been recycled for Meta.
    HirsuteJimFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 29 of 38
    neilmneilm Posts: 989member
    With regard to the battery and its location, I suspect that with its bigger and higher resolution internal displays, the extra front display, and the computing power needed to manage the more numerous sensors, the Vision Pro likely has higher power requirements than the Meta product. If so, then a larger on-head battery likely would have been impractical for Apple. 

I don’t see this as a disadvantage. The Vision Pro isn’t intended for wandering around in public, so who cares if there’s a tethered battery? It could easily fit into some kind of a belt holster if necessary.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 30 of 38
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,743member
    tmay said:
    It’s ridiculous how similar they are. From the general look of the device to the way metas workrooms look, etc. 

And also the fact that meta integrates the battery but apple makes you wear it - with a long cord attaching your head to your waist. 

In some ways, the meta headset is designed better. 

And that’s sad. 

Apple used to be the company of a thousand “no’s” yo get that just right “yes.” This just seems like everybody else. 
    You really aren't very good at this posting business, are you, so that's why your whining.continues unabated.
    Ah yes, the inevitable person who got stung by an honest take. You really aren’t good at this discussion thing are you? Time to grow thicker skin. 

The apple vision is extremely similar to meta quest. In looks and functionality. Apple has more bells and whistles. But it’s also heavier, looks less streamlined somehow, and forces you to wear the battery on your body while attached to a cord. 

just the way it is. 

Looks like a neat toy for single folks without much to do though. So that’s cool. 
    edited June 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 38
    ailoopedailooped Posts: 26member
    For one thing, I wanted to comment that Apple plays to its main strengths here. One, their in-house designed low power consumption Silicon that is generations ahead of the competition in the wearables category. They put a M2, the same processor that the MacBook Air and iPad uses, in this headset AND designed another processor to handle sensors/cameras… The performance of this thing is miles ahead of anything facebook will ever be able to put into their offerings.

Secondly… Yes I do have a quest 2. I know they are the shittiest company in the world in regards to user privacy, and I will happily never ever give them another dollar again.

The AR game will heat up considerably in the next 4 years. Apple is putting this out ahead of a revolutionary wave of new lens technology slated for 2026. metamaterial nano lenses. Truly revolutionary technology in the display and camera lens field, prototypes can be seen on youtube and the capabilities are mindbending.

So, expect regular sunglasses versions of this technology in 2026 or 2027. And that is what this release is the prelude for, and that is also when you can expect the mainstream to pick up on Apple Vision in a big way.
    edited June 2023 HirsuteJimFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 32 of 38
    avon b7 said:
    It’s ridiculous how similar they are. From the general look of the device to the way metas workrooms look, etc. 

And also the fact that meta integrates the battery but apple makes you wear it - with a long cord attaching your head to your waist. 

In some ways, the meta headset is designed better. 

And that’s sad. 

Apple used to be the company of a thousand “no’s” yo get that just right “yes.” This just seems like everybody else. 
    It can't be ridiculous how similar they are because they both aim to do the same thing. 

Just like with phones. 

Powering devices brings different options:

- grid power
    - battery power 
    - wireless power

The last one isn't commercially available yet but does exist. 

Grid power means being 'tethered' but brings unlimited power supply. 

Battery power allows the user to move untethered from the grid. Batteries bring autonomy from the grid and can be internal or external to the device.

Internal means carrying the battery even if you aren't using it. External brings two main options. Device mounted or tethered. Device mounted puts the battery and its weight on the device (in this case your head). If the device is charging it also brings heat. Tethered means a cable connecting the battery with the cable. Additionally, tethered brings easy battery replacement and maybe hot swapping if there is some kind of smaller internal battery. 

Which is better? 

It depends. 

There probably isn't a best option and for sure there was debate on the subject at Apple. They ran with the tethered option. That's OK IMO. 

From a comfort perspective the battery is definitely a non-issue when compared to having a device clamped (and sealed) to your head but, once again, we are where we are.

Do we want to seal or not seal (the exact same scenario as with earbuds).

You will not be comfortable wearing any sealed device for long periods so we have to live with the trade-offs until technology solves the issue.

That's where we are with batteries too. 
    If not on day 1, then very shortly thereafter there will be a third-party battery that WILL attach to the back of the strap of the Apple Vision Pro. 
  • Reply 33 of 38
    neilm said:
    With regard to the battery and its location, I suspect that with its bigger and higher resolution internal displays, the extra front display, and the computing power needed to manage the more numerous sensors, the Vision Pro likely has higher power requirements than the Meta product. If so, then a larger on-head battery likely would have been impractical for Apple. 

I don’t see this as a disadvantage. The Vision Pro isn’t intended for wandering around in public, so who cares if there’s a tethered battery? It could easily fit into some kind of a belt holster if necessary.
    Wait for the Apple M3 & R2 versions based on 3nm nodes … should yield much better battery performance. 
  • Reply 34 of 38
    ailooped said:
    For one thing, I wanted to comment that Apple plays to its main strengths here. One, their in-house designed low power consumption Silicon that is generations ahead of the competition in the wearables category. They put a M2, the same processor that the MacBook Air and iPad uses, in this headset AND designed another processor to handle sensors/cameras… The performance of this thing is miles ahead of anything facebook will ever be able to put into their offerings.

Secondly… Yes I do have a quest 2. I know they are the shittiest company in the world in regards to user privacy, and I will happily never ever give them another dollar again.

The AR game will heat up considerably in the next 4 years. Apple is putting this out ahead of a revolutionary wave of new lens technology slated for 2026. metamaterial nano lenses. Truly revolutionary technology in the display and camera lens field, prototypes can be seen on youtube and the capabilities are mindbending.

So, expect regular sunglasses versions of this technology in 2026 or 2027. And that is what this release is the prelude for, and that is also when you can expect the mainstream to pick up on Apple Vision in a big way.
    With all of the eye tracking and infrared lighting and sensors going on + Apple’s new focus on eye health this year … How long before Apple Vision Pro will be able to perform a detailed eye examination of the wearer and provide a detailed analysis to an optometrist and/or other eye care professionals so that they can, in turn, create custom lenses and other solutions for the wearer to see better in the real world⁉️ 
  • Reply 35 of 38
    What’s a “Heatset”?

Meatspace!?  I like that new word. Leave it. 

Meatspace was a term coined in the 1980s by science fiction authors writing in the cyberpunk genre.
    beowulfschmidtunbeliever2
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Right now the M2 and R1 chips are two separate dies. I wonder what happens when the technology advances and they get paired by Apple's chip interconnect fabric that they use on the Mx Ultra chips.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Meatspace.  I first encountered the term in the late 90s, one of my favorites.  refers to the environment (space) in which your body (meat) lives and interacts - ergo, meatspace - as opposed to VR/AR which is abstracted space, and where you have no body (maybe an avatar/persona).  William Gibson's Neuromancer, anybody?

As for designs, well Apple wins hand down as usual.  Now why would I NOT want to strap a battery to my brain box?  Well golly gee, about a million reasons, especially when the battery is charging and worst of all when fast charging - heat, magnetic fields, battery fires, weight, short lifetime, and so on.

A tether solves all of these issues, including replacement of the battery when it ages, allowing me to use one battery while the other charges (increasing autonomy), allows use of the headset even when both batteries are charging, oh yes, and IT'S NOT STRAPPED TO THE BACK OF MY HEAD, allowing me avoid a Michael Jackson Pepsi commercial reprise.  Yes I know it's a dated reference using a controversial figure, but moderation of emotional responses is part of adulthood.

I live in the Mediterranean, and believe me, if you fast charge a battery in the summer here, the last thing you want is to strap it to critical body parts, regardless of how debatable the adverse effects of heat and radiating fields can be.

Price stinks though, so it's looking like third gen for me......  On the other hand, at work it would be a life saver........
    edited June 2023 unbeliever2
  • Reply 38 of 38
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,110member
    "Meatspace"...it's computer talk for the space between our ears.