macOS Sonoma beta review: Few major updates, but very welcome

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    The single most annoying thing they changed was that clicking on the desktop is like hitting function-f11.  I had to fix that immediately (System Settings > Desktop & Dock > Click wallpaper to show desktop items > set to Only in Stage Manager).  And of course everything in System Settings is still completely scrambled, nothing is where it logically should be, same as with Mac OS XIII.  It's a computer, not an iPad, System Preferences worked just fine.

There's still no apparent way to set an auto power on schedule without using the command line.

The extra clicks to see your current IP address are still infuriating.

Sharing is still stupidly under General.

Getting a system report still requires 3 clicks and a scroll.  What was wrong with a single button in About This Mac?

At least it doesn't seem slower than Mac OS XIII.  It's still ugly, as every Mac OS X release since 10.6 has been.

Still no scroll arrows.  I want my scroll arrows back!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 30
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    darkvader said:
    Mac OS XIII
    macOS 13
  • Reply 23 of 30
    XedXed Posts: 2,588member
    darkvader said:
    The single most annoying thing they changed was that clicking on the desktop is like hitting function-f11.  I had to fix that immediately (System Settings > Desktop & Dock > Click wallpaper to show desktop items > set to Only in Stage Manager).  And of course everything in System Settings is still completely scrambled, nothing is where it logically should be, same as with Mac OS XIII.  It's a computer, not an iPad, System Preferences worked just fine.

There's still no apparent way to set an auto power on schedule without using the command line.

Getting a system report still requires 3 clicks and a scroll.  What was wrong with a single button in About This Mac?

At least it doesn't seem slower than Mac OS XIII.  It's still ugly, as every Mac OS X release since 10.6 has been.

No, System Preferences Settings are better now.
    edited June 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Xed said:
    darkvader said:

No, System Preferences are better now.
    System Preferences doesn't exist any more, though I'm inclined to agree with you otherwise.  It took a little while to get used to, but the new layout is much easier to find stuff.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    chutzpah said:
    Xed said:
    darkvader said:

No, System Preferences are better now.
    System Preferences doesn't exist any more, though I'm inclined to agree with you otherwise.  It took a little while to get used to, but the new layout is much easier to find stuff.
    I fixed my comment.

Not only is it easier, it mirrors iPadOS and iOS which makes it much easier for people switching to the Mac as well as those three longterm Mac users who are still very uncomfortable with how the traditional personal computer OS works. Can it better? Of course, but it's axiomatic that it's the right direction for making computing better for the masses.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 161member
    "This is all a shame if you love games and have an Intel Mac, but it's inevitable — and a reason why Apple made the switch to Apple silicon. The Mac is now capable of much more than it was with Intel processors, and Apple is rightly making the most of it."

The most 
    misguided comment ever.  If you love games and have an Intel Mac, you can use Boot Camp and boot Windows 10 and run far more games than ever offered on the Mac.  Far better than Apple Silicon would offer when it comes to games on the Mac.  Then switch back to the Mac when done playing games.  

Apple's road map with Apple Silicon is a mess.  With Intel, Apple updated all the Macs across the line.  With Apple Silicon, you now have Macs using outdated chips and new Macs using one year old chips.  Apple has the M2 and M2 Pro and M2 Max, but they offer the iMac with the M1, and still charge the same price from two years ago.  There is no reason why the iMac should not offer the M2, M2 Pro, and M2 Max, and return to the 27" display offering.

As far as macOS Sonoma, the few features only offered to Apple Silicon are features that most people would never use anyway.  I remember widgets when they were offered in Mac OS X Tiger, with Dashboard.  No one used them and they were deprecated.  I would imagine the same will be true with widgets again.  I never use widgets on my iPad, so I certainly don't want them on my Mac.  And that Lock Screen?  Get the user accounts back in the center of the display.  In a corporate environment, you have Macs with multiple user accounts, like the admin, so bring them all back to the center of the screen.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Rogue01 said:
    "This is all a shame if you love games and have an Intel Mac, but it's inevitable — and a reason why Apple made the switch to Apple silicon. The Mac is now capable of much more than it was with Intel processors, and Apple is rightly making the most of it."

The most 
    misguided comment ever.  If you love games and have an Intel Mac, you can use Boot Camp and boot Windows 10 and run far more games than ever offered on the Mac.  Far better than Apple Silicon would offer when it comes to games on the Mac.  Then switch back to the Mac when done playing games.  

Apple's road map with Apple Silicon is a mess.  With Intel, Apple updated all the Macs across the line.  With Apple Silicon, you now have Macs using outdated chips and new Macs using one year old chips.  Apple has the M2 and M2 Pro and M2 Max, but they offer the iMac with the M1, and still charge the same price from two years ago.  There is no reason why the iMac should not offer the M2, M2 Pro, and M2 Max, and return to the 27" display offering.

As far as macOS Sonoma, the few features only offered to Apple Silicon are features that most people would never use anyway.  I remember widgets when they were offered in Mac OS X Tiger, with Dashboard.  No one used them and they were deprecated.  I would imagine the same will be true with widgets again.  I never use widgets on my iPad, so I certainly don't want them on my Mac.  And that Lock Screen?  Get the user accounts back in the center of the display.  In a corporate environment, you have Macs with multiple user accounts, like the admin, so bring them all back to the center of the screen.
    You really think you'll get better performance out of an old Intel Mac running a game under Windows inside a VM than you will on a modern Mac with ASi with a game ported over directly and using DirectX12? If you actually have numbers that back up your claim I'd like to see them.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/06/06/apple-says-emulation-in-macos-can-show-devs-how-windows-games-could-run

• Reply 28 of 30
    Rogue01 said:

Utter rose tinted nonsense.  Apple used to stagger updates just as much with Intel, and often even worse, both the Mac Mini and Mac Pro had a couple of multi year terms without an update. 
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 29 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    Seems solid as rock to me so far on a Mac Studio.
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 30 of 30
    ctp722ctp722 Posts: 1member
    Wondering where the heck the "disk sleep" options went. I can't get it to stay fully awake while plugged in.