Apple Vision Pro could help surgeons see vital data during operations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,365member
    A lot of negative Man on the Street opinions vs positive opinions from people who actually work in the field.

It's far too soon to draw conclusions about a product that has yet to ship. The Watch wasn't all that much of a health oriented instrument, but it's evolved to be very health-centric.

I foresee Apple considering what the AVP can do for the medical field, and have no doubt that if it hasn't already been discussed at Apple, the idea of it assisting surgery in some capacity will be considered.

In its current yet-to-ship iteration, it doesn't have zoom for the environment seen by the AVP, just for the displayed windows.

That doesn't mean that Apple wouldn't develop a version for surgery that does have some zoom capability, because that's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility.

It's far too soon to tell exactly what the AVP can bring to the medical field, nor what it will or won't be capable of down the road.

I may not see the AVP increasing the ability to observe and perform some transection, remove a tumor, or suture a nicked artery or other difficult task but then I'm neither a doctor nor a visionary. Like most everybody else I'll have to wait to see how it develops.
    williamlondonbaconstang
  • Reply 22 of 43
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,911member
    MacPro said:
    This is one of so many possible uses for the Vision Pro.  It and its siblings will be a success, I am sure.  I have noticed numerous testers commenting that the stereo camera is something they would never use 'to film their daughter's birthday party' etc.  I fail to see why it isn't evident that the iPhone could be planned to sport a stereoscopic camera system in the next year or so as an alternative 3D camera.  If I am correct, sales of such an iPhone would soar.  Even without a viewer at the time, future-proofing videos in 3D will become a must.  Then the Apple Vision Air will follow soon after that at a lower price with fewer features, and history will repeat itself, Apple will have another multi-billion-dollar leg to its ecosystem.
    The Apple Vision Pro will be used to film any and everything, all of the birthday parties, awkward moments etc. etc. etc. on and on and on, it’s actually laughable that people pretend like that birthday party shown by Apple is an awkward moment? Lower price very doubtful the Apple VisionQuest is equivalent to a MacBook Pro, or a high end iPad Pro both cost between 1900 and $2400 when priced in the Apple store, and that’s before the additional 11 cameras and the desktop class R1 co-processor thrown in to the mix…

Two Opticians opinion 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geRqdnO2QE8       Opticians React UK

The ace in the hole for the Apple Vision Pro is the ability to write software to go with the hardware, and there will be very talented people in the medical field that will write something that supports it. Grey’s Anatomy will never be the same.

edited June 2023 baconstangwilliamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 43
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    danox said:
    MacPro said:
    This is one of so many possible uses for the Vision Pro.  It and its siblings will be a success, I am sure.  I have noticed numerous testers commenting that the stereo camera is something they would never use 'to film their daughter's birthday party' etc.  I fail to see why it isn't evident that the iPhone could be planned to sport a stereoscopic camera system in the next year or so as an alternative 3D camera.  If I am correct, sales of such an iPhone would soar.  Even without a viewer at the time, future-proofing videos in 3D will become a must.  Then the Apple Vision Air will follow soon after that at a lower price with fewer features, and history will repeat itself, Apple will have another multi-billion-dollar leg to its ecosystem.
    The Apple Vision Pro will be used to film any and everything, all of the birthday parties, awkward moments etc. etc. etc. on and on and on, it’s actually laughable that people pretend like that birthday party shown by Apple is an awkward moment? Lower price very doubtful the Apple VisionQuest is equivalent to a MacBook Pro, or a high end iPad Pro both cost between 1900 and $2400 when priced in the Apple store, and that’s before the additional 11 cameras and the desktop class R1 co-processor thrown in to the mix…

Two Opticians opinion 

The ace in the hole for the Apple Vision Pro is the ability to write software to go with the hardware, and there will be very talented people in the medical field that will write something that supports it. Grey’s Anatomy will never be the same.

Are you under the impression that developers haven’t been able to write software for other headsets?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 43
    This place is cringe when bulls*t articles like this appear. This tech already exists, has existed for years, and is in use in countless hospitals around the globe.
    Apple didn't invent anything new. 

But what is different about the Apple Vision Pro? can you write software to those very expensive existing (medical exclusive) systems easily? How portable are those systems and can the people who make those systems iterate as fast as Apple with their billions, people have been talking about Apple making it cheaper but what if, once it gets into the hands of a large number of people, what if Apple get requests to make a different Apple Vision that’s more expensive, and even more capable?

edited June 2023 baconstangwilliamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 43
    chutzpah said:
    danox said:
    MacPro said:

Two Opticians opinion 

Are you under the impression that developers haven’t been able to write software for other headsets?

At Apples’s level nope, on the new Apple ecosystem there will be daily announcements from Apple developers in time highlighting the fact that they have ported their software over to Apple VisionOS, and that drumbeat will get louder and louder as we get closer to Apple’s Vision Pro release date.

The competition if there is any won’t have any of that over the next six months, a long slow steady drum beat of a rising tide of VisionOS developers. That is what’s different. Apple has laid the groundwork backed up with four existing ecosystems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8-wTpiuZwE

edited June 2023 baconstang
  • Reply 26 of 43
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,325member
    macgui said:
    A lot of negative Man on the Street opinions vs positive opinions from people who actually work in the field.
    Yes, this place seems to be attracting more and more negative nellies, inching closer and closer to the troll-infested MacRumors-style site many of us escaped years ago. Fucking children they are.
    Xedbaconstangsireofsethdanox
  • Reply 27 of 43
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,746member
    This place is cringe when bulls*t articles like this appear. This tech already exists, has existed for years, and is in use in countless hospitals around the globe.
    Posted a similar sentiment. People don't want to hear it, but it's the truth. Hospitals haven't switched to Meta's devices. They won't be switching to Apple's. 

Of course things can change down the line, but we are talking near future. what Apple announced is not. much different at all than what Meta has been selling for years. The main difference is. a power-sucking external screen that shows your "eyes" to pretend you aren't distracted by your XR experience - and the addition of metal, glass, and stretchy fabric - an external, cord-attached battery that you have to wear on your body - oh, and rounded UI corners if you want to count that. 

It's neat. I want one. but it's not world-changing. Spatial computing already exists and we all have been doing it for years. 
  • Reply 28 of 43
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I'm sure Apple has many patents of the Vision Pro. That means they DID invent something new according to the patent office. 
    baconstangcg27williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 29 of 43
    larryjw said:
    I'm sure Apple has many patents of the Vision Pro. That means they DID invent something new according to the patent office. 
    You’re sure, so that means they did?  USPTO references or get laughed out of town.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 43
    danox said:
    chutzpah said:
    danox said:
    MacPro said:

Two Opticians opinion 

At Apples’s level nope,
    Evidence pls.  

Compare to: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/hololens/developers
    Compare to: https://developer.oculus.com/?locale=en_GB
    Compare to: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/46C3-050A-2E52-12D6

And describe why this is Apple's "ace in the hole", that no one else has.
    williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 31 of 43
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,334member
    eriamjh said:
    I don’t remember Apple demonstrating any static images aka heads-up display but there’s nothing that says anyone couldn’t implement fixed floating data or combine the two.  How about blink to zoom?  Voice commands for enahncing or switching viewing modes.  IR cameras?   UV cameras? 

I’d be concerned that the goggles are unable to show enough detail for critical surgery as some doctors wear magnifying goggles for delicate operations.  Someone will look into it.  It could be a great tool.  

If  hospitals buy tens of thousands of them, bring it.   AAPL will benefit and so will I.   
    Accessory camera that fix to the front of the device then broadcast an image in to the interface when summoned. Sounds lie a useful thing for many. 

Would need to be low lag like the primary cameras of the device. 
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 532member
    MacPro said:
    The other benefit to 3D video recording is that it could be more difficult to deep fake and copy it. 
  • Reply 33 of 43
    No hospital is going to rely on an Apple consumer product for a safety critical task such as surgery.
    I’m a teacher and I have a 9 year old in my class who is severely diabetic.  I mean life threatening.  She has a needle permanently in her arm which is connected to an iPhone in a custom pouch on her belt.  The iPhone has custom software on it that constantly monitors all her vital signs and is remotely connected to her parents devices on the other side of the city.

any slight fluctuation in her vital signs and she gets an alarm.  We are an expensive private school so we do have a mini hospital on site so if the alarm goes then she can get immediate attention.

that is all on a standard consumer iPhone.  Not even the latest version or a pro,

what were you saying?
    danoxcg27williamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Many of those existing medical devices are very expensive exclusive products used by labs, hospitals, and schools, many of those items sell as little as a few hundred, maybe a few thousand at the most which means they are very very expensive, someone in time Apple or some other company, will come along and come up with something that is smaller/more portable. And these days that something is programmable and cheaper than those existing devices, that in many cases where the big is half the room at their inception.

Your cringe is misplaced in 50 years half of the medical devices that are used in a hospital will be even smaller, programmable and cheaper than it is today, the cringe is all yours in a believing otherwise…
    williamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 43
    chutzpah said:
    danox said:
    chutzpah said:
    danox said:
    MacPro said:

Two Opticians opinion 

At Apples’s level nope,
    Evidence pls.  

A long slow steady drum beat of a rising tide of VisionOS developers….. thumb thumb thumb
    cg27tmay
  • Reply 36 of 43
    danox said:
    chutzpah said:
    danox said:
    chutzpah said:
    danox said:
    MacPro said:

Two Opticians opinion 

At Apples’s level nope,
    Evidence pls.  

A long slow steady drum beat of a rising tide of VisionOS developers….. thumb thumb thumb
    So something that hasn't happened yet.  Gotcha.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 43
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,001member
    Stryker has a product using MS HoloLense that allows the surgeon in a specific field to do the surgery with the pre-planned mapping of what they decided to do playing in front of them as they do it.   And during surgery they can refer to other notes and stuff as well.  I saw a demo of it but I’m not a medical professional so I can’t get into details.   The VP would be a step up in capability for this and would be a perfect base system for providing advanced surgical tools. 

The one I me too es above was specifically for some sort of replacement or something and tied in with their other specialty equipment. 

• Reply 38 of 43
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    chutzpah said:
    larryjw said:
    You’re sure, so that means they did?  USPTO references or get laughed out of town.
    https://patents.justia.com/patent/11620790
    williamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 43
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,746member
    chutzpah said:
    danox said:
    chutzpah said:
    danox said:
    MacPro said:

Two Opticians opinion 

At Apples’s level nope,
    Evidence pls.  

Apple is even using Unity, just like. Hololens.

The basics of the Vision Pro versus competitors are that the Vision Pro is nothing new or that others haven't been doing already. It's just that Apple, being Apple, is doing. it better.  

That said,  this isn't exactly a market that will change the world in any meaningful way. We will see the "it's the future!" "you can do this and that and the other!" "someday,  you can probably do this!" articles, posts, etc. but it will all boil down to the same thing a. computer with monitor, speakers, power supply,  and. I/O. The difference is that you have to strap it to your head and face - and. wear the power supply (with associated power cord) on your body.

The fundamentals of computing remain the same. the computer has not even really gotten smaller. An iPhone is smaller. an Apple Watch is smaller and easier to wear and live with. In the end, it's a really cool computer that is more immersive because it surrounds your face and ears. 

But most people haven't bought into the concept of living with these kinds of things. Sure, it's fun and neat to use - for a while.  then you want a break and get back to actual reality. No one needs. camera images of reality when actual reality is right there in front of them. No one needs fake representations of your eyes when they can just look at. your face. It's a lot faster to step away from the keyboard to give attention to family than it is to stay strapped in a head cacoon, interacting with people through a series of cameras. and screens when they are inches away. 

In conclusion, it's not that Apple didn't build something special. They absolutely did. They built the best VR (and AR) headset so far (with some caveats like a wearable battery that is a drawback compared to competitors). The issue is that headsets as a concept are niche, not necessary, and not really comfortable, no matter how nice the materials are or how formable the pads are to your face. you are still using pressure to secure a device to your face.  Apple has excelled at taking real-life everyday interactions and building products around that. This is something completely out of that wheelhouse. This is something that you need time away from everyone and everything to appreciate. In the end, unlike a computer, a phone, a. vehicle, or a watch with fitness tracking, a headset is completely optional. 

It's great that Apple is making the Vision Pro. There is a market there and it expounds on some computing experiences better than what we are already doing. It's got more horsepower than the other guys, it has a better UI, it likely has better build quality. But the headset concept itself just isn't all that. It was this way before Apple entered the market. and doesn't look. likely to change. The one thing that may change is adoption rate, since. Apple has a loyal customer base. So at the very least, they'll sell enough of these to keep going and then some.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 43
    chutzpah said:
    danox said:
    chutzpah said:
    danox said:
    chutzpah said:
    danox said:
    MacPro said:

Two Opticians opinion 

At Apples’s level nope,
    Evidence pls.  

So something that hasn't happened yet.  Gotcha.
    The developer kit for the Apple Vision Pro is coming out in two weeks (July), and it leverages all four of the ecosystem that Apple has created, and that is the ace in the hole, keep cringing…
    edited June 2023 williamlondon