Anyone use Netboot?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am considering seeting up a Netboot disk image for my IT tools (Norton, Disk Warrior, etc.). Why run around the building with fragile, slow, CDs when I can just Netboot! All my workstations are New World ROM boxes, so it should work.

Anyone done this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    As a network admin for a large high school.. I was considering doing the same. thing. Sadly our macs are about 50% new world ROM and 50% beige G3's. I just started playing around with netboot... and I'm really liking it. It's making me consider buying more xserves so i can netboot everything!! :-)

I have not yet developed a perfect 'repair' image.. but I was able to netboot both OS X and OS 9 images. I plan to use this to netboot my new labs this summer for the purpose of installing the new disk images for the next school year.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sarcsarc Posts: 14member
    I have implemented it, and used it in a School.

We only had 10/100 switches so eventually they collapsed, so here is what we did.

Macintosh Manager, leaving all "normal" macs as terminals with a user and password prompt.

Student uses his/hers personal login, get his preferences from XServe.

NetBoot implemented for backup purposes only i.e. fried HDD, student boots from server, and again uses his/her l/p ad gets personal files.

NetInstall also available with fresh install of a normal iMac, when new HDD's arrive you just netinstall everything ...

that way network traffic was minimum and backup wise the server works in optimal condtions.

Sarc
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Is it safe to use one of my OS X 10.2.4 file servers for a Netboot server, or should I build a special OS X box dedicated to Netboot services? Like I said above, I am using it only for IT-related tools and troubleshooting.

My company is small (50 users), so I would assume having Netboot active on one of my file servers wouldn't be a big deal (my servers are all QS dual 1.0 GHz MDD towers with 1.2 GB RAM)

Do I just instll the Netboot stuff from a CD and go?

How easy was it to make your disk images? I plan on booting my workstations from a 9.2.2 image with 4 or 5 diagnostic utilities. Sound simple?

Any feedback would be great!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Is it safe to use one of my OS X 10.2.4 file servers for a Netboot server, or should I build a special OS X box dedicated to Netboot services? Like I said above, I am using it only for IT-related tools and troubleshooting.

It is recommended that you have netboot on a sperate server. This is because at this time you often need to restart the netboot server to get it to 'see' new net boot images.

Do I just instll the Netboot stuff from a CD and go?

Basically.. yes. Do a search for a programe called CCloner for some tips and tools on how to do this better. The author of CCloner has an excellent website with forums that relate to netbooting.

How easy was it to make your disk images? I plan on booting my workstations from a 9.2.2 image with 4 or 5 diagnostic utilities. Sound simple?

Should be simple! It's working great for me!

Any feedback would be great!

• Reply 5 of 5
    Hey! Dan and Neal! Stop cross-posting here and on the X-admins list, it makes me feel like the world is too small!

Sarc has it right. I use NB at most of my larger sites to increase availability. Staff know to 'N' boot to get a managed client if a box is playing up. Techs can select an alternate image (if you have 10.2 Server) for re-imaging using ASR or the yummy goodness of Net Restore. with the latest ARD, you can remotely set the boot source, for no-touch re-imaging.

NB forgive me if i got the names wrong.

Edit: FYI CCCloner and NetRestore are both at www.bombich.com