Different Take On Apple Music Service

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Forgive me for starting a new thread if this has been mentioned as well as if this isn't the correct forum to post this information (it seemed like the room in which this seems to being getting the most attention).

It seems that the idea of Apple starting a new downloadable music service is getting everyone excited, justifiably so but I believe that a big selling point to this new service will be the ability for the consumer to preview music and build a custom made CD with the selected tracks one has chosen to purchase. Apple will then promptly mail this cd to you in such a fashion as they currently do with Books made and purchased from iPhoto.

Remember most people who download music currently do so from a 56k modem connection and this process gives new meaning to the word tedium. As much publicity as Broadband gets it is still not used by the majority of individuals.The ability to be able to custom make a high quality CD (legally) with mixed genres and artists (from a large catalog) and have that CD in your hands within a few days will appeal to many people who may be sick of poor quality,mislabeled and slow downloads as well as people who don't want to buy music cd's for one or two "good" tracks.

Of course for those fortunate to have a high-speed connection or those that don't, that still want to download the music directly they will be able to do this and I'm sure this will be the other if not the main selling point of the service.

I know in the past that there have been companies that custom make cd's based on user preferences but I think Apple's approach will be vastly more successful for obvious reasons such as the rumored agreements across the board from the major music labels.

Anyway thats what I had to say. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Not future hardware.

Moving to General Discussion where the other "Apple music service" threads have been.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    No matter what it will not be a service for people outside north america. They got a track record for forgetting us
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

No matter what it will not be a service for people outside north america. They got a track record for forgetting us

Yeah, and that is SO annoying!

I was thinking.. Do you think we get some software related to Apple's buyout of Protools? (Think that was it, correct me if im wrong plz)
  • Reply 4 of 19
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Yeah, and that is SO annoying!

I was thinking.. Do you think we get some software related to Apple's buyout of Protools? (Think that was it, correct me if im wrong plz)

Apple bought emagic - not Digidesign.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i dont know i like different versions u get from P2P
  • Reply 6 of 19
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Who said that?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Who said that?

Every single european, african, asian & so on person on the planet.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Who said that?

The 47% of people who didn't buy a Mac in the USA this quarter
  • Reply 9 of 19
    how's this for a different take

since the music service and the ipod would seem to go hand in hand, this is what I would want...

An ipod that functioned similar to an xm radio, yet still has a hard drive in it for storing mp3's/mp4's etc..

How the ipod would act as xm radio...

First, you'd have your various categories of music to select from, no commercials or anything, just straight streaming music. This way you can take it with you Anywhere you go, and listen to radio without the FM. Hook up your ipod to your car stereo, your home stereo, or just listen to it while you're out for a walk.

Now that sounds all fine and dandy, but what about a little apple polish?

As an apple-esque touch to the xm-like service, using the record label catalogs, you can pick and choose songs and customize playlists using itunes, and your playlists can be downloaded straight to your ipod from your computer using bluetooth technology, no wires needed! You then have a customized list of songs that are streamed to your ipod! Listen to only the music you want to hear!

What's even better? No need to spend time ripping cd's when it can be streamed to your ipod!

But wait, there's more....

If you just absolutely have to have your favorite song and like making your own mix of music on a cd, you have the option to buy an individual song that you can store on your computers or your ipods hard disk. Like a song you're listening to while it's streaming to your ipod or computer? One click buy it now enables you to purchase the song on the spot! By the time you're done listening to the song, it's also just been convienently stored on your hard disk!

And to top it all off... to subscribe to Apple's satellite radio, all you need is a .mac subscription and the latest version of itunes or an ipod! Purchasing individual songs to be stored on your hard drive would be extra of course.

I honestly think this would rock the music industry, help apple profit and make the ipod the ultimate "must have" gadget of the year yet again.

thoughts?
  • Reply 10 of 19
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Orange

how's this for a different take

since the music service and the ipod would seem to go hand in hand, this is what I would want...

An ipod that functioned similar to an xm radio, yet still has a hard drive in it for storing mp3's/mp4's etc..

How the ipod would act as xm radio...

First, you'd have your various categories of music to select from, no commercials or anything, just straight streaming music. This way you can take it with you Anywhere you go, and listen to radio without the FM. Hook up your ipod to your car stereo, your home stereo, or just listen to it while you're out for a walk.

Now that sounds all fine and dandy, but what about a little apple polish?

As an apple-esque touch to the xm-like service, using the record label catalogs, you can pick and choose songs and customize playlists using itunes, and your playlists can be downloaded straight to your ipod from your computer using bluetooth technology, no wires needed! You then have a customized list of songs that are streamed to your ipod! Listen to only the music you want to hear!

What's even better? No need to spend time ripping cd's when it can be streamed to your ipod!

But wait, there's more....

If you just absolutely have to have your favorite song and like making your own mix of music on a cd, you have the option to buy an individual song that you can store on your computers or your ipods hard disk. Like a song you're listening to while it's streaming to your ipod or computer? One click buy it now enables you to purchase the song on the spot! By the time you're done listening to the song, it's also just been convienently stored on your hard disk!

And to top it all off... to subscribe to Apple's satellite radio, all you need is a .mac subscription and the latest version of itunes or an ipod! Purchasing individual songs to be stored on your hard drive would be extra of course.

I honestly think this would rock the music industry, help apple profit and make the ipod the ultimate "must have" gadget of the year yet again.

thoughts?

Sounds good. But it couldn't be bluetooth: too slow.

lwo-fi
  • Reply 11 of 19
    bluetooth would be used just for syncing playlists between your computer and your ipod.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I think the service should have a Napster-like feature so people can trade and browse for music, but filtered for only at 64 kbs, or 48 kbs MP3s. Find a song you like, click the 'Buy Full Version' button.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    xterra48xterra48 Posts: 169member
    Orange-

How bout we teleport to the moon and back for all inclusive lunar vactions costing only 100 usd!

Although an interesting idea, apple does not have enough capital to launch its own music/satellites, and making a deal would cause less profit to apple. Also it is so complicated that it would have to be 100% not 99% fullproof. Something like this in Maybe if some one has vision and capital in 2013 not 2003. Too much of a high risk investment.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    vvedgevvedge Posts: 41member
    Knowing Apple's tendency to not give us the wild imaginitve things we want, I'm betting it will be just a plug in for iTunes (or a new version of iTunes) where you can just browse through artists and download them using your 1-click account for god-knows-how-much a song.

Think conservatively, you wont be dissapointed later...
  • Reply 15 of 19
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    Actually it's like 42% of US households have broadband. If you have dialup what's the big deal? Nothing will change. You'll have the same good stuff you've had up till now. It's not apple's fault you have 56k, just don't sign up for the music download service.

Hehe my friend bought a new house just to move into an area that has dsl.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Ditto on that, apple seems to suffer some sort of myopia when it comes to offering the same quality add ons that are mainstream in US of A. Worse that we actually end up paying for less.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    I would like to see the Music Server to be subsription based where you can d/l as much as you like. It would be nice but it depends if the record labels would like it.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Ditto on that, apple seems to suffer some sort of myopia when it comes to offering the same quality add ons that are mainstream in US of A. Worse that we actually end up paying for less.

Since it's an Internet music service, I can see these barriers as easily removable. One-Click should be as easy to implement in this service as it is in Amazon.com's non-U.S. countries.

Where there might be a problem is simply music that's not available through the big 5. There are music labels, I'm sure, across the globe and even within the U.S. that aren't covered by the big 5. How will Apple deal with those? Will they sign smaller labels?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I think the service should have a Napster-like feature so people can trade and browse for music, but filtered for only at 64 kbs, or 48 kbs MP3s. Find a song you like, click the 'Buy Full Version' button.

Or maybe they'll provide the first 30 seconds of a song for free streaming.