iTunes 4

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does the release of a new iPod and possible music service really mean we will get a full new version? Or do you think it is more likely that we will get a .x update of iTunes. Personally I don't see how iTunes can be improved much more. It rocks as it is!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 108
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    I think it will be a version 4.

Improvements: Covers, lyrics, booklets, online search in Apple's music database.
  • Reply 2 of 108
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    I think we'll get a "full new version". It would be the right time to introduce it, wouldn't it. Together with new music download service and new iPods, the new version of iTunes would get lots of attention.

Speaking of improvements, I think there are several areas where improvements would be appreciated. [list=1][*]Processor load - can never get low enough when almost everybody has iTunes running all the time.[*]Better performance ot with large music collections.[*]General improvements to interface.[*]Buit in playback of .ogg and other formats.[*]etc[/list=1]

In short: still room for improvement.

One last thing: we got a preview of iTunes at WWSF, so the next version can't be too far away
  • Reply 3 of 108
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

One last thing: we got a preview of iTunes at WWSF, so the next version can't be too far away

It was MWNY02 actually.
  • Reply 4 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

It was MWNY02 actually.

D@mn, you're right! They've had some time to improve on iTunes 3 then
  • Reply 5 of 108
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I'd like AAC support as well as a better option for MP3 encoding.. their VBR algorithm is pitiful...

Edit: like LAME support... OGG is not a good format because NOTHING uses it...even if it IS open source)
  • Reply 6 of 108
    Rondezvous - I would love to have all of my music in a central location, but play it anywhere.

AAC/mp4 encoding/decoding

Covers/Lyrics

A well integrated music service,

One Click

more powerful visuals
  • Reply 7 of 108
    From Macbidouille:

Quote:

iTunes 4 28 April:

The rumour is not already practically more one, but an APPLE source (not in France) would have confirmed the setting in remote loading of iTunes 4 28 Avril.

If iTunes 4 is able to be connected to buy music like large, APPLE won't have temptation one day should check on the discs which pieces of MP3 are legitimately acquired?

It would be necessary that one looks at that of near in the implementation code..

Is this making any sense to you???
  • Reply 8 of 108
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    A bit paranoid. (French site, remember).

As if iTunes would look at the MP3 file, decide that you downloaded it from Kazaa or what-have-you and and choose not to play it.

What if some talented bloke turned his own, original music into an MP3?

Not happening...

Screed
  • Reply 9 of 108
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    What do you guys think of the possibility of a Cocoa iTunes?

I know it's far-fetched, since iTunes has matured a lot since its first Carbon port and very few people have any complaints about it.

Then again, they rewrote iMovie in Cocoa..
  • Reply 10 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

They did ...? A complete rewrite to cocoa is not as important as the other things mentioned, like averall speed, performance with very large playlist a.s.o. What means they use to achive these goals are not as important as the final result.
  • Reply 11 of 108
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

They did ...? A complete rewrite to cocoa is not as important as the other things mentioned, like averall speed, performance with very large playlist a.s.o. What means they use to achive these goals are not as important as the final result.

Absolutely.. but it would still be interesting if they did think rewriting it in Cocoa was worth the effort.
  • Reply 12 of 108
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    They need to up the limit your iTunes Library can have...I know not many people have that much music but I will be aproching it soon...sooner with a new music service...
  • Reply 13 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

I'd like AAC support as well as a better option for MP3 encoding.. their VBR algorithm is pitiful...

Edit: like LAME support... OGG is not a good format because NOTHING uses it...even if it IS open source)

i don't quite get your logic here: you'd like to see support for a proprietary format that nothing uses (AAC) instead of an open source format that some use...?

well if the rumour mill is anything to go by, you'll get your wish but i can't help feeling that given ogg's equally good quality and smaller file sizes, that i would prefer that particular lossy codec over one with DRM potential.
  • Reply 14 of 108
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

What do you guys think of the possibility of a Cocoa iTunes?

I know it's far-fetched, since iTunes has matured a lot since its first Carbon port and very few people have any complaints about it.

Cocoa and Carbon have been on a converging path for a while now. I think most Apple apps are neither completely Cocoa or completely Carbon.
  • Reply 15 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

They need to up the limit your iTunes Library can have...I know not many people have that much music but I will be aproching it soon...sooner with a new music service...

Agree. I think many people are starting to hit that limit. More important though is the performance with playlists of this size - it has to be improved. iTunes 3 is getting quite unresponsive with very large playlists.
  • Reply 16 of 108
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    man, they need to make dat shit faster!
  • Reply 17 of 108
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Quote:

And made it run at around half the speed...
  • Reply 18 of 108
    Quote:

Originally posted by Overhope

And made it run at around half the speed...

Hey, but at least it's; COCOA !!!
  • Reply 19 of 108
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    just got it...

NO UK SERVICE YET
  • Reply 20 of 108
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    Where are the music videos?