Apple slammed with $1 billion class action lawsuit in UK over 30% App Store fee

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,134member
    mac_dog said:
    JMaille said:
    Time to start piloting the new program of charging all developers for the use of the API based on number of apps distributed.  I'm sure that those 1500 developers will find that a much more fair way of charging for the use of Apple's intellectual property.
    Except they have to do it in such a way as to not appear punitive to those developers, otherwise there will be another lawsuit. Apple needs to separate their developer software and include a pricing structure for “participation” on their App Store. Up to now, Apple doesn’t charge for their software. Perhaps they should. Furthermore, Apple could easily create some sort of membership that could include benefits such as advertising/marketing/and store placement. I’m planning to learn to code and eventually put something up on the App Store. Passive income. 30% seems fair. If we’re going to start chipping away at this, let make it a fair deal and spread it across all sectors. Utter bullshit.
    People forget that Apple shares in both directions. If you produce an app that costs the customer nothing, Apple will host it in their store for nothing. That includes them incurring the costs of their QC review that protects the customer and saves the developer the embarrassment of producing an app that doesn’t work. 
    foregoneconclusionFileMakerFellerbaconstangwilliamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 33
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,500member
    “Apple products are so expensive!” Yeah well thanks to frivolous lawsuits and greedy associations and governments who are “looking out for the people”
    I like Apple’s ecosystem it’s simple and secure. I am glad there’s such an option in the market. Also I rarely remember a time when I paid for downloading an app, Apple does not charge developers for apps that are posted for free.
    FileMakerFellerwilliamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 33
    In all fairness, it kind of is a monopoly system. We have only two choices of smart phones (iPhone or Android). So the argument that if you don't like Apple's 30% fee, you can just develop for Android (where it is effectively the same price structure), doesn't really hold up.
    Of course Apple and Google should be paid to maintain developer tools, their app stores, distribution system etc. But I would argue that this could easily be done with a flat 15% fee (and still earn a ton of cash). This is driven by greed, rather than actual cost of maintaining such stores.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 33
    In all fairness, it kind of is a monopoly system. We have only two choices of smart phones (iPhone or Android). So the argument that if you don't like Apple's 30% fee, you can just develop for Android (where it is effectively the same price structure), doesn't really hold up.
    Developers can target any combination of platforms that they want with their software. Nothing is preventing them from developing for Windows/Mac/Linux or for gaming consoles. The reality is that mobile platforms offered an additional way to make money since desktop/laptop and consoles already existed as markets for software development.
    FileMakerFellerwilliamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 33
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    If these companies don't like the 30% fee, do what Netfllix, Amazon, HBO, and many others do.  Have people pay you directly to use their services instead of going through Apple.   Then there is ZERO FEES!!!!

Maybe Apple should just start charging app developers per download.  Every time someone has to download a new Netflix update, there is a COST to that.  Instead of Apple eating that cost over and over again like they do now and get nothing because people sign up for service directly at Netflix.

danoxFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 26 of 33
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Just out of curiosity, what is the exact number where one goes from being "hit" by a lawsuit to "slammed"? 
    FileMakerFellerbaconstang
  • Reply 27 of 33
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,263member
    mac_dog said:
    JMaille said:
    Time to start piloting the new program of charging all developers for the use of the API based on number of apps distributed.  I'm sure that those 1500 developers will find that a much more fair way of charging for the use of Apple's intellectual property.
    Except they have to do it in such a way as to not appear punitive to those developers, otherwise there will be another lawsuit. Apple needs to separate their developer software and include a pricing structure for “participation” on their App Store. Up to now, Apple doesn’t charge for their software. Perhaps they should. Furthermore, Apple could easily create some sort of membership that could include benefits such as advertising/marketing/and store placement. I’m planning to learn to code and eventually put something up on the App Store. Passive income. 30% seems fair. If we’re going to start chipping away at this, let make it a fair deal and spread it across all sectors. Utter bullshit.

When Apple decided to not charge for Pages, Keynote and Numbers, which at the time Apple was charging $10 each, I thought that it was a mistake to make it free, I also thought that having apps free within the store with additional in app charges inside the same app was a mistake, I still do.

Apple is going to have to curate the store and change the way things are priced, a app should have a charge (cost) upfront no more freebies, it seemed to be a good idea at the beginning, but ultimately it’s not, have each one of the app developers charge a fair price upfront for their app, and Apple should charge a fair price for the API’s up front, time to treat the app developers like real business people.

The app Wild West, gold rush is over, the real price of being a developer within the Appstore has to be shown and charged upfront, many developers, obviously think everything is done by magic without any real charges to be paid, Apple has to eliminate that delusion, by treating them like they treat anyone else they do business with.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,134member
    danox said:
    mac_dog said:
    JMaille said:

When Apple decided to not charge for Pages, Keynote and Numbers, which at the time Apple was charging $10 each, I thought that it was a mistake to make it free, I also thought that having apps free within the store with additional in app charges inside the same app was a mistake, I still do.

Apple is going to have to curate the store and change the way things are priced, a app should have a charge (cost) upfront no more freebies, it seemed to be a good idea at the beginning, but ultimately it’s not, have each one of the app developers charge a fair price upfront for their app, and Apple should charge a fair price for the API’s up front, time to treat the app developers like real business people.

The app Wild West, gold rush is over, the real price of being a developer within the Appstore has to be shown and charged upfront, many developers, obviously think everything is done by magic without any real charges to be paid, Apple has to eliminate that delusion, by treating them like they treat anyone else they do business with.
    It is an absolutely sound business model to offer an app for free and then charge for content or continued/expanded/ad-free use. 

One of the revelations of the Apple App Store was the ability to easily download and try apps for little or no money, but with the assurance that it’s been screened for spyware/bloatware and has a standard UI that doesn’t require an instruction manual. Before the App Store, computer applications were truly a Wild West crapshoot. Not any more. That change is fundamental to the huge, entirely new software market that Apple created. 

This is why these complaints about Apple’s App Store fees are so absurdly laughable. Had they not introduced the App Store, this market would not exist. Period. 

Only fifteen years ago, software was expensive, iffy with regard to compatibility with OS versions, hardware versions/combinations and even with other apps on the same device. Each UI was different so you needed thick manuals, and upgrades/updates to software -including your OS- were expensive, not free. 

Yes, there was a whole freeware thing, centered particularly around Linux, or otherwise a probable vector for malware. 

So all these folks complaining about Apple are seriously trying to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. It’s nuts. 
    danoxFileMakerFellerbaconstangwilliamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 33
    If developers don’t like the heat then they should get out of the kitchen. Apple isn’t unique in charging developers this rate and they know this before they get into it. Governments that keep piling the pressure in Apple to confirm to (newly) made up rules are walking on eggshells. If I was in charge of Apple I would pull out of the UK and Europe for the developers. I guarantee the class action would be dropped within a month. They are in grave danger of upsetting Apple so much that they wash their hands of countries trying to screw them over. I really wish they would. 
  • Reply 30 of 33
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,689member
    ...If I was in charge of Apple I would pull out of the UK and Europe for the developers. I guarantee the class action would be dropped within a month. They are in grave danger of upsetting Apple so much that [Apple may] wash their hands of countries trying to screw them over. I really wish they would. 
    That's been my theme for a decade. I don't get much support. But Apple just did threaten the UK to remove FaceTime and at least part of iMessage from the UK. Let's see how that goes. That's the best news I've heard from Apple in years. It's as exciting as seeing the Hubble launch successfully.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Of course Apple and Google should be paid to maintain developer tools, their app stores, distribution system etc. But I would argue that this could easily be done with a flat 15% fee (and still earn a ton of cash). This is driven by greed, rather than actual cost of maintaining such stores.
    It is not illegal to have a monopoly.  There are also many platforms to develop for besides the mobile environment.  And how do you know what costs are to operate the App Store?  If you don’t know, how can you state that their commission is too high?  As far as I can see, every digital marketplace charges pretty much the same commission (which is much less than it was for boxed software).  So what’s the problem?
    baconstangwilliamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 33
    BirderGuy said:
    So I guess we better launch a class action lawsuit of every business in the UK and abroad.  If you’ve ever sold your artwork in a gallery, guess what?  30% fee to cover their cost of operating the store.  And of course better shut down all those mom and pop shops that apply at least 30% to what they pay the wholesalers so they can pay for, oh right, operating the store.  What these developers, and I am one too, want is for the store owner too allow them to make money,(in some cases millions, if not billions of dollars), while the operator is the store provides them with a free storefront. I produced my app and had to do virtually nothing but hit enter and the entire world knows about my app. Yeah, I shouldn’t have to pay for that?  Give me a break!
    No, they want to have an idea, do some minimal coding and have the world hand them millions of dollars because it's software. Lunacy.
    accsmobi
  • Reply 33 of 33
    It’s their Store ,after all . Their ecosystem. Nobody is forcing anyone to publish on AppStore.  Go publish on Google play,if you dont like it . 

Those brits think they just gonna milk that big Apple cow . Hey cousin , doesnt work like that .