iPhone 15 Pro again rumored to cost more than ever before

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2023

A new analyst report based on supply chain information claims that the iPhone 15 Pro will be more expensive than its predecessor -- and the iPhone 15 Pro Max is expected to be priced still higher.

Backing up previous rumors that Apple is considering raising iPhone prices, and possibly considerably, Barclays analyst Tim Long says supply chain sources he's spoken to are discussing the possibility.

In a note to investors seen by AppleInsider, Long says that the iPhone 15 Pro will be $100 more than the iPhone 14 Pro at $1,099. He says that the iPhone 15 Pro Max may be $1,299, or $200 more than its predecessor.

In both cases these are the starting prices and there is no information about whether models with greater capacities will have commensurate increases -- but it seems probable.

Apple did make a particular point at the iPhone 14 launch that it was not raising the price compared to the iPhone 13 range. However, that was solely true for the US and China, as all other markets saw significant increases.

What to expect from the iPhone 15 lineup in the fall

As usual, Apple is anticipated to bring out four models of the iPhone 15, with iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro flanked by Max counterparts.

The bulk of the rumors for the entire iPhone 15 line pertains to display technology, with curved bezels touted across all models, as well as the spread of the Dynamic Island concept from Pro to non-Pro variants.

The iPhone 15 display is thought to reuse the same tech as the iPhone 14. ProMotion and the Always-On display are expected to stay a Pro feature for another generation.

It is also probable that Apple will finally ditch the Lightning connector in favor of embracing USB-C for its physical port, bringing the iPhone in line with the iPad family.

Rumors have also pointed to 48-megapixel cameras arriving on all models, as well as some debate over solid state or unified side buttons.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,697member
    My guess is there will be a new tier causing the rumor.  The usual range, plus a higher-end pro version with cameras to support Apple Vision OS for shooting material for the headset.  It would make sense, IMHO, as the film and video industry will be all over such an iPhone.  It would not be attractive to most users unless they are into future proofing their vacations and children's birthday parties.  That's a small but probably not insignificant number willing to pay more.  Count me in.
    edited July 2023 williamlondoncurrentinterest
  • Reply 2 of 21
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,572member
    Apple’s paying a boatload for 3nm. They’re passing the costs to us yay! Then there are supposed screen size increases and a new periscope setup for at least one of the camera lenses. It’s going to be a rad phone, but … dang. Already over $1000 for a phone is a bit much. 

in reality, the profit margin for the iPhone is so massive, they can easily not increase the price and get by with a somewhat slimmer margin, but that’s not really the Cook way. Apple’s only done thst with Macs in the Steve Jobs rra and rarely. 

Kinda sucks for me personally as this is at the end of my four year upgrade cycle. And the 11 pro max was already incredibly expensive in its day. 
    grandact73Toortogawvandijkedarkvadermacplusplus
  • Reply 3 of 21
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 775member
    in reality, the profit margin for the iPhone is so massive, they can easily not increase the price and get by with a somewhat slimmer margin, but that’s not really the Cook way. Apple’s only done thst with Macs in the Steve Jobs rra and rarely. 
    Not really the Cook way? Allow me: 2017's iPhone X, the direct precursor to the Pro line, cost $1149 for the 256GB model. Adjusted for inflation, that's $1430 in 2023 dollars. The iPhone 14 Pro/256GB costs $1099 in 2023 dollars. SO: Six years after the iPhone X, Apple is charging roughly 25% LESS in comparable dollars for the 14 Pro that blows away the X in every spec and feature possible. 

So tell me again how it's "not really the Cook way" to not increase prices. Or just continue your fact free rant. 
    MacProdewmeStrangeDaysking editor the grate
  • Reply 4 of 21
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,282member
    charlesn said:
    Not really the Cook way? Allow me: 2017's iPhone X, the direct precursor to the Pro line, cost $1149 for the 256GB model. Adjusted for inflation, that's $1430 in 2023 dollars. The iPhone 14 Pro/256GB costs $1099 in 2023 dollars. SO: Six years after the iPhone X, Apple is charging roughly 25% LESS in comparable dollars for the 14 Pro that blows away the X in every spec and feature possible. 

So tell me again how it's "not really the Cook way" to not increase prices. Or just continue your fact free rant. 
    Excellent counterpoint. Additionally, even if or more likely when Apple starts to claw back some of what they’re losing to inflation and supplier cost increases, this isn’t all about Tim Cook. It’s all about Apple’s full set of stakeholders. 

Apple’s board of directors has entrusted Tim Cook to do the best thing for all stakeholders which includes Apple’s customers. It’s a very high stakes balancing act and Tim Cook has done a superb job of picking the right balance to achieve the best possible outcome for all stakeholders. 

Tim Cook and Apple’s board are not doing anything with only their personal preferences, desires, and wealth in mind. They’re doing what’s best for all stakeholders and the continued success of Apple long after Tim Cook steps down and transitions to the next phase of his life. 

I’d say Tim Cook is doing exceptionally well at maintaining the strategic long range focus that it takes to sustain Apple for many years to come while still raking in the benefits of excellence in tactical execution, which is a rare quality of chief executives. I can’t think of a time when Apple’s had as strong of an overall portfolio that spans hardware, software, and services as they have today. 
  • Reply 5 of 21
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,012member
    There is no way that Apple is going to raise prices 20%. That is insane.  I also don’t really even see how this is news. Of course the phone is going to be more expensive.  It would be news if they kept the same.

pulseimagesmacplusplus
  • Reply 6 of 21
    "In a note to investors"...
    I was waiting for the 15 since my 8plus is kinda long in the tooth. Talked to a VZ rep at the counter, who told me to wait  as well and that they won't raise prices. Right, speculation. What isn't speculation on my end is if they raise prices I'm in no way in hell buying a new iPhone. I already hate ios and what they pass off as "it just works" bullshit. This is my courage talking.Cooks Apple is working for the investor, not the user. Just look at the state of the Golden Master - means nuthin/Save Draft
    king editor the gratewilliamlondondarkvader
  • Reply 7 of 21
    “I hate iOS, but will buy a new phone unless there’s a slight price increase.”
    williamlondonradarthekat
  • Reply 8 of 21
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 201member
    Who said I will buy it?
    williamlondondarkvader
  • Reply 9 of 21
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,709member
    macdoofus said:
    I was waiting for the 15 since my 8plus is kinda long in the tooth. Talked to a VZ rep at the counter, who told me to wait  as well and that they won't raise prices. Right, speculation. What isn't speculation on my end is if they raise prices I'm in no way in hell buying a new iPhone. I already hate ios and what they pass off as "it just works" bullshit. This is my courage talking.Cooks Apple is working for the investor, not the user. Just look at the state of the Golden Master - means nuthin/Save Draft
    ??????????
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Apple will continue to charge outrageous amounts for its top end gear as long as there are people willing to hand over their cash.  Count me out, I don’t need the status symbol to be happy.
    williamlondongrandact73awvandijkedarkvader
  • Reply 11 of 21
    YP101YP101 Posts: 158member
    I am not sure about iPhone X mentioned on other comment.
    Far as I remember when iPhone X introduced, there was no Pro line up. And iPhone X price started $999.
    After that XS and XS MAX which ended up the Pro line up.

Far as I can see price tag $ amount did not changed much. The Value of dollar changed.
    Also other countries price hiked but not in USA this year.

I think Apple maybe up $50 and titanium case model $150 or Pro Max maybe only model price hike.
    If Apple hike price for entire Pro line up for more than $100 then they should start at 256GB not 128GB and ditch 128GB.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 21
    They will likely raise the base storage to 256GB, so it will be the same price as that configuration in the past. They will simply drop the 128GB level thereby raising the overall ASP.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 775member
    YP101 said:
    I am not sure about iPhone X mentioned on other comment.
    Far as I remember when iPhone X introduced, there was no Pro line up. And iPhone X price started $999.
    After that XS and XS MAX which ended up the Pro line up.

Far as I can see price tag $ amount did not changed much. The Value of dollar changed.
    Also other countries price hiked but not in USA this year.

I think Apple maybe up $50 and titanium case model $150 or Pro Max maybe only model price hike.
    If Apple hike price for entire Pro line up for more than $100 then they should start at 256GB not 128GB and ditch 128GB.
    Even NOT accounting for inflation, the 14 Pro/256GB is still $50 CHEAPER than the X/256GB of 6 years ago.  

The fact-free ranters here are essentially saying that they expect Apple to improve the phone every year, absorb any and all price increases for parts, labor, etc. and never increase the price of the iPhone. Cause, you know, that's a realistic business strategy.

After a few years of inflation-related price spikes with no increase in iPhone prices, I'm expecting an increase this year of $100 for both the Pro and Pro Max. And I don't think either increase will impact sales. iPhone Pro buyers certainly aren't switching to Android and are unlikely to downgrade to the regular iPhone line. But a price hike is likely to add time to the upgrade cycle as Pro owners will need a bigger incentive to trade up. And except for design refresh years, the year-to-year improvements tend to be iterative. 
  • Reply 14 of 21
    SkepticalSkeptical Posts: 183member
    Nooooo. A continually more expensive iPhone? Who would have thought? Good thing we have these “rumors” to keep us informed about things. No one would have ever guessed. I feel so informed. 
    edited July 2023
  • Reply 15 of 21
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    God I miss the days when the best iPhone Apple had to offer started at £619 instead of £1099 (iPhone 6S Plus vs iPhone 14 Pro Max).

By the sounds of it the starting price will likely hike to £1199 for the next model. 

Sadly inflation is biting hard everywhere and Tim is going to want to maintain Apple’s legendary high margins, so the price has to go up.
    darkvader
  • Reply 16 of 21
    ToortogToortog Posts: 54member
    Glad I got an iPhone 14 Pro and if my usual four years before I get a new phone my wallet is safe.    Four years from now at my age I'll probably just get a basic phone to save money since I won't be using the phone as much.   Apple has always been expensive I remember when the Mac first came out an me and most my friends would of liked to get one, but the price stopped us.   It was till a few years later and I was able to get the Apple Developer discount that I finally bought my own Mac.   Apple these days are just pushing to find the breaking point of Apple Fanboys, then they might plateau the price for awhile.  Worst part for all people is Apple's constants pushing up prices causes the other name phone companies to raise their prices too.   They'd all rather make more per phone than drop prices and sell more phones. 
  • Reply 17 of 21
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,902member

"to cost more than ever before".

What is "ever" word in sentence? It should be like iPhone 15 Pro will cost more than before. Everything has gone up in price due to inflation so phones/iPhones might as well. Cost of doing business.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,236member
    macdoofus said:
    And you believe Verizon? I quit buying my phone through Verizon years ago. They say it’s “free” but Verizon never gives away anything. None of the cellular companies do. They can price an iPhone at anything but hidden in the fine print is enough surcharges to kick the cost up over the long run to what Apple lists it at. 

Disclaimer: I’ve used Verizon for over a decade.  
    darkvader
  • Reply 19 of 21
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,030member
    5 years ago in September of 2018 the most storage I could get in my iPhone XS Max was 512GB for $1449. In September 2023 I hope I can get my iPhone 15 Pro Max with 2TB of storage for about $1900. What’s the problem? I’ll gladly pay more for more. It still only amounts to about $80 a month for the two year interest free loan for my carrier or Apple Direct. I expect to hang onto an iPhone 15 Pro Max for another 5 years til September 2028 when I’ll buy a 5TB iPhone XX Ultra with an A22 one nm processor.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    nubusnubus Posts: 310member
    sdw2001 said:
    There is no way that Apple is going to raise prices 20%. That is insane.  I also don’t really even see how this is news. Of course the phone is going to be more expensive.  It would be news if they kept the same.

Considering the number of spoiled kids and clueless parents that have a Pro, the Pro is simply too cheap. I'm surprised how many Pro users I see. Apple could IMHO easily raise Pro prices by 20%. The Pro is nice for revenue, but it won't make the platform grow. Apple must find a way to attract more users. I'm not sure 15 can do that even at reduced cost, and SE is more button than display. A new XR would be nice (and name it XV for 15 even though Mac IIxv was pretty bad).