Dixie Chicks takin' it off...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

(this thread will, I predict, get the most views than any other in AI history...watch that view counter on the AppleOutsider main topic page...).

Anyway, they've got the cover of Entertainment Weekly next week and here it is:

(Mods, if the above is inappropriate, for whatever reason, feel free to edit to a text link...I understand)

I never saw Loretta Lynn's titties or Dolly Parton's butt, so these girls are indeed country music trailblazers!

Yeah, I'll buy it...especially if there are more pics inside. I always did dig on the fiddle player (the blonde on the right).

Will this hurt or help them? Kinda cool, kinda daring. Definitely adds to their maverick image of late.

Also, I wonder if that's really them and not just some Photoshop composition work? If it IS them...wow.

Here's a larger, clearer version, for those interested.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    now that's quality.

or else that's just a quick ploy to get those damn texas ingrates to buy their cd's again.
  • Reply 2 of 92
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Please love me! Please love me!

What political rebel giants, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn ain't got shit on Natalie Maines.
  • Reply 3 of 92
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    meh.

They're really not that hot. \
  • Reply 4 of 92
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

meh.

They're really not that hot. \

But they're not wearing clothes...
  • Reply 5 of 92
    enaena Posts: 667member
    I think they're threatening to move their hands if we don't buy their shite.
  • Reply 6 of 92
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

But they're not wearing clothes...

touché
  • Reply 7 of 92
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    they sort of apolagized

how many of you forgive them and will buy there cd's
  • Reply 8 of 92
    And then you have to consider the bill the Entertainment Weekly is going to get for renting CPU time from the NSA to doctor the orignal photo---something tells me their tans aren't that even.
  • Reply 9 of 92
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Never liked them and no taking your clothes off does not signal a sign of intelligence. We live in a 24 hour media culture with it embeded a pop-cutlure that dictates if you are "cool" enough you will be one step away from being worshiped if not 100% to that point.

The DC are not "cool" in my book.

I am not one to jump through the hoops.

Fellowship
  • Reply 10 of 92
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, but if they want to get nekkid i'm all for looking.
  • Reply 11 of 92
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

yeah, but if they want to get nekkid i'm all for looking.

Not me. I have higher taste.
  • Reply 12 of 92
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I don't care much for the Dixie Chick's music regardless of their political stance. But I think it's a shame that they're being hurt by the herd-mentality reactions of idiots who confuse patriotism with blind, unquestioning allegiance.

It's one thing if someone simply decides not to buy their CDs. I still think that's an overreaction on the part of the kind of people who mouth the words "American Freedom" without a clue what the words really mean -- but so be it.

Now, however, I hear that these women are subject to death threats and vandalism. What a great way to show how strongly you stand for freedom, huh?
  • Reply 13 of 92
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I don't care much for the Dixie Chick's music regardless of their political stance. But I think it's a shame that they're being hurt by the herd-mentality reactions of idiots who confuse patriotism with blind, unquestioning allegiance.

It's one thing if someone simply decides not to buy their CDs. I still think that's an overreaction on the part of the kind of people who mouth the words "American Freedom" without a clue what the words really mean -- but so be it.

Now, however, I hear that these women are subject to death threats and vandalism. What a great way to show how strongly you stand for freedom, huh?

I totally agree. I find their music annoying. But you shouldn't rag on someone for holding beliefs different from your own, at least not to the point of immature, illegal and just plain stupid stuff like vandalism and threats.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    A. I don't know how I feel about this. Like Fellowship, I don't think it's any sign of exceptional intelligence or whatever, one way or the other. At this point, they probably think "crap, what could it hurt?"

B. I don't think they're hot. The lead singer certainly isn't and the brunette sister looks a bit man-ish. But for some reason, the fiddle player, Martie, has had a grip on me for at least five years (BEFORE they were the mega-stars they now are, so I come by it honest).

C. I agree with ena regarding the retouching. They almost look TOO good and smooth.

D. I know for a fact that the singer isn't that trim and lean, so somebody has gone to town on her section of the photo.

E. Desperation? Don't-care-itis? Flaunt it if you've got it? Probably all three, at this point.

F. I still dig the fiddle player. She's sexy in a "cute single mom in the next door apartment" or "fourth grade teacher I wish I had" kind of way that I often go for

G. No, this doesn't make them "cool". But they've got brass ones, I'll give 'em that.

H. Was I right or was I right regarding the "view" count for this thread (take a look).

That is all...
  • Reply 15 of 92
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    A) Their music is okay. They had a couple songs that I enjoyed.

B) They aren't that hot nekkid or clothed, but that is ok because I like enjoying musicians because of their music.

C) Dixie Chicks show again that entertainers should entertain, then shut up and get the heck out of Dodge. Keep me happy, get my money. Don't and don't. Simple enough?

Nick
  • Reply 16 of 92
    The one thing I keep thinking is how much they could've missed a chance to have a HUGE song, and - for lack of a better word - even some sort of unofficial "anthem" (that's probably not the right word, though) for this current war and the military and all.

Their song "Travellin' Soldier" is actually quite nice and touching and was just kinda starting to skootch up the charts and was picking up quite a bit of airplay before the shit hit the fan. I remember telling a friend "wow, what timing...listen to those words and tell me this won't be a HUGE song, considering what's going on in the world right now...".

Them BOOM!

Sadly, the song dropped from the charts and I can't tell you the last time I heard it on radio. Which is a shame, because it was a really pretty little song.

Had all this not happened, I'm convinced it would've been one of the biggest singles in the history of country music. And with their Shania/Faith Hill-esque crossover appeal, pop/rock fans would've latched on to it as well and it would've been THE song of the year, I'm sure.

Oh well...

Maybe next time.
  • Reply 17 of 92
    I think they have to decide whether they want to be activists or popular.

They've got rocks in their little heads to piss all over a president with a 70% + approval rating---and then expect sales to stay the same.

Dh'o!
  • Reply 18 of 92
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

They've got rocks in their little heads to piss all over a president with a 70% + approval rating---and then expect sales to stay the same.

I'd say the people giving this President a 70% approval rating might have a little trouble with intercranial igneous intrusions themselves.
  • Reply 19 of 92
    True. I've said for a while now that - like it or not (and those of you who don't probably don't even know the first thing about country music, so...) - country is the one genre where you simply can't afford to come across that way.

Rock and other genres have a long, rich history of courting controversy, being anti-this, pro-that, protesting this situation, backing that one, etc. all with an overall left-of-center vibe (boo GOP, Reagan, Watt, Gingrich, etc., yay Clinton, Gore, Brown, etc....yes, yes, yes, there are exceptions...but overall, rock is decidedly left-leaning...no need to trot out Tipper Gore's little PMRC escapades as evidence to the contrary...I KNOW...).

ANYWAY, country music isn't like that. Not saying it's good or bad, right or wrong. Just saying that traditionally (in the same way rock has leaned a certain way), country has kinda countered that by leaning the OTHER way.

If the Chicks were a rock/pop act and said what they did, nobody would bat an eye. It's expected and accepted. That's why Sheryl Crow can say what she does and not suffer any noticeable setback or fallout. That's why the Dixie Chicks couldn't.

It's that simple and anyone wanting to make it more complicated is just wasting their time.

Country has always been GOP friendly, with Nixon and Bush making popular appearances onstage at the Grand Ole Opry, complete with Nixon practicing yo-yo tricks alongside Roy Acuff.

Yes, there are exception. Always will be, but I'm talking overall and in the "big scheme of things" here. Which, let's face it, is what counts.

The Chicks stepped in it because the very core of country music audiences tend to be big on so many of the things many here would chuckle and scoff at.

That's just how it is. Anyone with a passing knowledge of country music or Southern, blue-collar culture knows and accepts this.

For evidence, take a glance at the Billboard Country charts to confirm who fans tend to lean to in times like these. It's the Toby Keiths, Worleys, Jacksons of the world. Right or wrong. It's not the Dixie Chicks.

It'll all pass, however, because they're too popular and too talented. Just a rough spot, that's all. I guarantee you that country music fans will prove themselves to be more forgiving and welcoming than the average gay activist or animal rights groups. Mr. Santorum will NEVER be let up.

• Reply 20 of 92
    That's effing awesome.

Because:

1) It's one big **** YOU to the country music establishment. Taking off your clothes is definitely a taboo among conservative country music listeners.

2) They initially backed off their statement but are now beginning to get a freaking backbone for crying out loud.