A17 specifications leaked ahead of iPhone 15 Pro release

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 139member
    charlesn said:
    danox said:
    Apple stopped innovating a while back, now they just slightly improve the phone with specs but no breakthrough technologies anymore

Apples, latest iPhone chip will simply stomp all over the competition, in every way, hardware industrial design and SOC chip/OS software under one roof, is where the innovation/disruption to the competition comes in. (This allows Apple to do more with less, less power wattage, less megahertz, less memory), and that’s what being a vertical computer company means.
    But to what end from the consumer's perspective? I'm too invested in Apple's ecosystem to ever leave it, but I still look at competing phones and -- in terms of hardware -- the best from Samsung and Huawei are at least as compelling, and in some ways more so, than Apple's Pro models. You would think, at the very least, that Apple's "do more with less" would translate into significantly better battery life for consumers, but no. Battery life for Samsung's 23 Ultra is essentially even with the 14 Pro Max. And while the design for Huawei's P60 Pro is stunningly modern and beautiful, especially the way the camera module (with an f1.4 main lens!) is implemented. Meanwhile, Apple is still coasting on a 13-year-old design it introduced in 2010 with the iPhone 4. 
    If that is so great then why are you still here?? You should be w Android, just saying 
    williamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 30
    charlesn said: The biggest bottleneck is getting high rez video or photos off the phone because the Lightning connector is slow. USB-C won't solve that unless the Pro models offer Thunderbolt speed capability, and nobody is suggesting that's coming. 
    Max tech has been covering this.  The rumors are USB C across the line with the pro models getting Thunderbolt.
    Also, I’m not seeing anything on the Android flagships that looks compelling or an improvement over iPhones.  The bigger zoom lens is about it and that’s coming to the next iPhones or at least the Max version.
    williamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,580member
    charlesn said:
    melgross said:

charlesn said:
    melgross said:
    Actually, the “bump” this year is thought to be the biggest jump in three generations. I’m not just talking about the SoC, but for the entire phone, camera, SoC, screen, etc.
    Wow, seriously, DO TELL, because even alleged leakers don't have this info. The ENTIRE phone is getting the biggest jump in three generations? Really? And this would be what, exactly? A USB-C port? Slightly narrower bezels? WiFi 6e? Maybe a better zoom lens on the Pro Max model? 
    Yes, every tech site has said that, smartpants. Maybe if you read some of them you would know too. They’ve talked about it here as well..
    Well, educate us Melgross! What are these advances you say are coming? C'mon, some quick bulletpoints, other than what I've listed. You can't because they don't exist. Here, I'll make it easier: what's this biggest jump in screen tech in three generations that you say we're going to get? Bezels thinner by a millimeter or two? I'm in television production and use the Pro for both its high end video and photo capabilities. Current speeds are great. The biggest bottleneck is getting high rez video or photos off the phone because the Lightning connector is slow. USB-C won't solve that unless the Pro models offer Thunderbolt speed capability, and nobody is suggesting that's coming. 
    Actually, a lot of people are saying that for the Pro models we will get one of the high speed USB options, and possibly even Thunderbolt, though I don’t see that happening this year, but it might. You’re a lot of fun, being so smart and hostile.
    OferStrangeDays
  • Reply 24 of 30
    You know what;'s fast? The money leaving your wallet when you buy tech that you don't
     need
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 30
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,920member
    Wov! What a detailed iPhone 15 Pro spec leak !
  • Reply 26 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,949member
    Apple stopped innovating a while back, now they just slightly improve the phone with specs but no breakthrough technologies anymore.
    lol that’s nonsense. You appear to believe these devices and components pop out a seashell fully formed…rather than understand how the process works. Iterative product development is the name of the game. It’s how we got from the original iPhone/Mac/Watch/whatever to the current versions, or iterations.

Gruber wrote about over a decade ago:

https://www.macworld.com/article/1151235/macs/apple-rolls.html
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamdanox
  • Reply 27 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,949member
    You know what;'s fast? The money leaving your wallet when you buy tech that you don't
     need
    Who are you to define need for others? What might you own that I feel is unneeded?

nonsense position 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,580member
     need
    Ah, but how do we decide on what we need? Is it what we need, or what we want? In your life, do you only have what you need, or do you also have what you want? Do you have a Tv? If so, do you really need it, or do you want it? Is it a small model, or a large one? Do you really need something larger than about 20 inches? How many pairs of shoes do you have, or pants, or shirts? Do you have a car? Of so, couldn’t you go where you do some other way? I suppose we could all live in a small one room studio. Maybe a bedroom if we’re married and have kids. I guess we should all sell our homes.

how do we go about this? Does what one can afford enter into the argument, or should everyone come to the same conclusion that all we really NEED is a cheap phone that just does voice calls? Isn’t everything else just an affection, not being needed, but wanted?

so, where do you draw the line?
    edited August 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 30
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    charlesn said:
    danox said:
    Apple stopped innovating a while back, now they just slightly improve the phone with specs but no breakthrough technologies anymore

Apples, latest iPhone chip will simply stomp all over the competition, in every way, hardware industrial design and SOC chip/OS software under one roof, is where the innovation/disruption to the competition comes in. (This allows Apple to do more with less, less power wattage, less megahertz, less memory), and that’s what being a vertical computer company means.
    But to what end from the consumer's perspective? I'm too invested in Apple's ecosystem to ever leave it, but I still look at competing phones and -- in terms of hardware -- the best from Samsung and Huawei are at least as compelling, and in some ways more so, than Apple's Pro models. You would think, at the very least, that Apple's "do more with less" would translate into significantly better battery life for consumers, but no. Battery life for Samsung's 23 Ultra is essentially even with the 14 Pro Max. And while the design for Huawei's P60 Pro is stunningly modern and beautiful, especially the way the camera module (with an f1.4 main lens!) is implemented. Meanwhile, Apple is still coasting on a 13-year-old design it introduced in 2010 with the iPhone 4. 
    You mean a 5000 mAh battery ( S23 Ultra ) keeps up with a 4323 mAh battery ( Iphone 14 Pro Max ) and Apple isn't providing significantly better battery life?

techconc
  • Reply 30 of 30
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,090member
     need
    Well, since you’re on an Apple website getting inside info you can slow that problem down by buying some Apple shares instead.
    edited August 2023