Do I smell a special event on April 28th? CONFIRMED!

Comments

• Reply 121 of 252
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    So this event is being held in San Francisco. Where? And how long will the event be???
  • Reply 122 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

So this event is being held in San Francisco. Where? And how long will the event be???

I wish there was a streaming broadcast... I wanna watch it unfold live....

info about satellite link
  • Reply 123 of 252
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

I wish there was a streaming broadcast... I wanna watch it unfold live....

info about satellite link

Do they usally broadcast 'special events'? I can't remember seeing one broadcast before... Either way it is going to up the hype even more...

It makes you wonder what they have got up their sleeves...

When combined with 10.2.6 allegedly seeded or available to developer type people, could we perhaps see a new new machine to run the 'Music Service' on, as well as new iPods?
  • Reply 124 of 252
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marcus

When combined with 10.2.6 allegedly seeded or available to developer type people, could we perhaps see a new new machine to run the 'Music Service' on, as well as new iPods?

10.2.6. is a small bug fix release.
  • Reply 125 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

10.2.6. is a small bug fix release.

k, cool...

Got a bit carried away there
  • Reply 126 of 252
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Do they usally broadcast 'special events'? I can't remember seeing one broadcast before... Either way it is going to up the hype even more...

It makes you wonder what they have got up their sleeves...

I came in to ask the exact same question because no one seems to think that broadcasting a special event is big news. They've never broadcasted a special IIRC. Updated iPods and a new music service are cool, but no where near worthy of a broadcast. I'm not saying I expect 970s, but possibly this new device which will be groundbreaking? and along with a new iPod (not just update) and a new music service maybe this is worth the hype.
  • Reply 127 of 252
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    It's a good thing I have been able to keep my almost 20 year old C-band big satellite dish... my wife hates it.

And I agree with the previous couple of posts, I don't recall any Apple special events having been sat-broadcasted in the past, not even the original iPod introduction. I think this one will be a biggie. Satellite uptime is really expensive but it is still way better than webcasts for high quality audio and video. So we can rest assured Apple will be presenting something much more exciting than minor hardware upgrades. Probably a totally new Digital Lifestyle product or service, or a combination of both.

8)
  • Reply 128 of 252
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    If Apple buy's universal music, and a music service is what we are getting. Maybe we can finally use that iTunes & Rendezvous setup that we saw demo'd at MW? That was some KeWl Sthit.
  • Reply 129 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

If Apple buy's universal music, and a music service is what we are getting. Maybe we can finally use that iTunes & Rendezvous setup that we saw demo'd at MW? That was some KeWl Sthit.

If I dont get hte local streamy thingy in iTunes I am DONE with this platform. Do you hear me Steve

• Reply 130 of 252
    More info in the 'music serivce' has been posted on the USA Today website...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/webguid...le-music_x.htm

Once you extract the actual info it is quite interesting...
  • Reply 131 of 252
    Quote:

More info in the 'music serivce' has been posted on the USA Today website...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/webguid...le-music_x.htm

Once you extract the actual info it is quite interesting...

This was at the bottom of that article, and I think this will be a problem.

Quote:

Wolpert argues that for all the expected hype from Apple chief Steve Jobs about the convenience of buying single tunes, "on Rhapsody you get unlimited songs for $9.95. So if you found 50 songs to listen to, it would cost $9.95. On the Apple service, that 50 would be $50. That could be a problem."

• Reply 132 of 252
    Anyone speaks (or rather reads) french?

• Reply 133 of 252
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

This was at the bottom of that article, and I think this will be a problem.

yes, but isn't that $9.95 on a per month charge? so yeah, if you found 50 songs in a single month, then you'd only pay $9.95. but if you only found one song that month worth your time and money, that one song would effectively cost $9.95.
  • Reply 134 of 252
    I think if I paid 9.95 a month I would go out of my way to find 10 songs minimum a month to make sure I was getting my money's worth at the very leats. Unlees of course I was made of money (which I'm not): but, needless to say I can not afford to waste cash like that.

[Edit] I could find 2 CD's a month no problem.
  • Reply 135 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

From the look of it (I am no means fluent, or even competent, but my parents live in France so at least I recognise a few words!), it is just a general overview of Apple's recently announced quarterly business results and sales.

There is also a small amount of info on the music service introduction, possible new iPod and adoption of the AAC file format.

With the regard to the Universal deal, it merely reprints Steve's denial about it all...

I'm sure someone who is fluent can pick up a lot more detail...

Peace,

Marcus
  • Reply 136 of 252
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I have been told by a friend at one of the companies below that Special Event will be about the music service, new iPods, AAC, free download of the codec for current iPods and iTunes, etc. That's all. At the conference will be reps from EMI-Apple, BMG, WEA Music, Universal Music Group and Sony. All these labels will have their product available for download. On May 2nd the Apple Stores will be giving demos and the new iPods will be available. This probably means the service starts at that time. One possible surprise may be iTunes being available for PCs which would mean the new music service will be available to all. It is believed that the new iPods will be dual mode models, ready for either Macs or PCs. Stay tuned.
  • Reply 137 of 252
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    anyone wants to buy 10GB iPod?

If we won't be able to upgrade firmware to support AAC, i'm saying bye bye to macs and getting Amiga.
  • Reply 138 of 252
    Are you sure about iTunes for PC's, or is it Rendezvous music compatability for PC. that I can understand, but iTunes? PC users will be blown away.
  • Reply 139 of 252
    Quote:

Are you sure about iTunes for PC's, or is it Rendezvous music compatability for PC. that I can understand, but iTunes? PC users will be blown away.

I am sceptical iTunes will be released for PC...

It would in one stroke, wipe out a feature attracting people to the Mac platform...

Surely it would be counter productive in the long run?
  • Reply 140 of 252
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

The article said various things :

- the financial results are finally good due to the good amount of sell of the powerbook, even if the 17 inch powerbook have problems of mass production

- There will be a new i pod able to encode in AAC, a code more performant than MP3, which will alloud to load paying music on the web. The copy from a i pod to one another would be extremely difficult. We are going to struggle against the culture of free said Pascal Cagni.

- Steve Jobs deny that Apple wanted to buy universal music group.

- Murbot is going to buy a new Apple product in late June. No further precision was avalaible for this last point, Cagni precised that he was under NDA ( i will prefer to say to you that Apple will soon use the PPC 970, than to take the risk to make any more comment about that sensitive subject) .