Apple's 'Mother Nature' sketch was a complete dud, and didn't belong in the iPhone 15 even...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,723member
    I also thought it didn't work. It was long and cheesy.

Too self congratulatory and unfortunately not funny. 

Perhaps the worst part is that it left Apple open to criticism which could have been avoided by just not making such a deal out of it. 

How did mother nature not mention water consumption in manufacturing when it is one of nature's most precious resources? 

The message could have been delivered far better by not making such a meal out of everything. 
    designrJaphey9secondkox2grandact73darkvaderFileMakerFellerargonaut
  • Reply 22 of 89
    BigBWSRBigBWSR Posts: 10unconfirmed, member
    I disagree with the article, I thought it was hilarious and informative, and it was great to see people like Tim Cook and Lisa Jackson in roles besides presenter.
    sidricthevikingMdRuckuswilliamlondon9secondkox2ronnlotoneshcrefugeeeightzero
  • Reply 23 of 89
    I agree! Way too long! Could have had the same message conveyed in less ten half the time. I didn’t watch it live, I watched a rerun and skipped the whole thing after a minute or two. 😎🤘🏼😎
    williamlondonJaphey9secondkox2grandact73darkvaderargonaut
  • Reply 24 of 89
    I don't comment very much online at all, but wow, seriously, someone needs a vacation.

As someone stated, everything else was filler to me, an infomercial - did consumers need to know that much about the A17's specs and its effect on gaming? At least they had some creativity to present a lot of meaningful numbers on a meaningful subject that affects us all in a way that was obviously memorable. But no, the message here is don't bother trying next time. A lot of good that'll do us all.
    williamlondon9secondkox2eightzero
  • Reply 25 of 89
    avon b7 said:

How did mother nature not mention water consumption in manufacturing when it is one of nature's most precious resources? 
    Did you really watch it? There was a specific call out to using less water that was hard to miss. Lisa Jackson tells Mother Nature that Apple lowered it by 63 billion gallons, Mother Nature says, “63 million?” then LJ repeats and emphasizes “billion”. 
    tmaysidricthevikinglwhitten13485thtMdRuckuswilliamlondonronnDBSyncJuanbond
  • Reply 26 of 89
    "a dud"? Says who? 

I disagree. I thought it was clever. Tim can act. The part that they go into a staring contest was really good. 

I really think most people were OK with that.

Thank you for your opinion though.
    sidricthevikingthtMdRuckuswilliamlondon9secondkox2lotonesronnDBSynchcrefugeeAlex1N
  • Reply 27 of 89
    The comments on this story prove it was a huge dud. We get it, you are pro environment but there is no need to preach. It was condescending, dumb. A better use of the time would have been a deep dive on games coming to the Apple Goggles or a chat about AI. Missed opportunity in my opinion.
    designrwilliamlondonJaphey9secondkox2grandact73argonaut
  • Reply 28 of 89
    Well, I, for one, do agree with this article.  That skit was too long.  I was anxiously waiting to hear more about their new products.  The skit was lame.  Maybe because the writers are on strike.  I will give them that.  But what was conveyed could have been shortened and given more impact with better writing. It appeared to me to be a filler because they did not have anything with their new additions that is memorial. 
    designrwilliamlondonJaphey9secondkox2NotSoMuch
  • Reply 29 of 89
    I agree with Gallagher. The idea had potential, and there were a few funny moments, but I'm not sure why they thought it was a good idea to make the case for Mother Nature by depicting her as an unrelentingly critical, sour, humorless, demanding, and negative beeyotch. Whoever wrote this segment may need some therapy. I think the whole event was mediocre because they were vamping to cover for not having much in the way of interesting developments to share. 
    Japhey9secondkox2argonaut
  • Reply 30 of 89
    Dude, who hurt you?

You know what else has been a dud for years now? Know it all tech blogs and writers who can’t do anything better themselves so they just criticize.
    Call them expert, analIST for short. It’s entertaining to me
    domicinator9secondkox2
  • Reply 31 of 89
    I disagree. Overall I wasn't impressed with the event, but this was definitely not a complete dud. If fact, I've seen more positive comments around that sketch than the rest of the event. Did they beat the sh$t out of the carbon neutral phrase the whole event?  Yes!  But the sketch was pretty good for what it was. 
    sidricthevikingMdRuckus9secondkox2lotonesronn
  • Reply 32 of 89
    Ok, I'll say it. How much more could have apple have paid their low-level employees for Oscar-winner Octavia Spencer's time? Guaranteed it wasn't free.
    williamlondon9secondkox2argonaut
  • Reply 33 of 89
    After reading this article, I showed the skit to my wife (who didn’t watch the Keynote itself). She loved it. Clever, funny and informative. It seems that some folks enjoyed Apple’s novel way of dealing with, what could otherwise have been, dry data!
    MJG33lwhittenthtMdRuckus9secondkox2lotonesronnhcrefugeeAlex1N
  • Reply 34 of 89
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,350member
    I consider myself an extremely conservative person who doesn't buy into every New Green Deal being thrown at us, but even I didn't think anything ill of the sketch.

I considered it typical Apple, which is really quite positive overall.

I'm beginning to wonder if William Gallagher is a real person, or if it's really just John C. Dvorak in disguise, back to torture the Apple faithful yet again.

William, you blew it.  BIG TIME.
    thtMdRuckus9secondkox2lotonesronnDBSyncargonaut
  • Reply 35 of 89
    It was intentional. Just like all their products they aren’t the first to do it. . . but when they do it they do it well.  

This was Quality Cringe at its finest. 

“This year, we here at Apple are  “Cook’n” up Cringe like never before! This  years cringe . . . is by far the best cringe.. we-  have- ever put in a Keynote!”
    —T.C.
    designr9secondkox2FileMakerFellerargonaut
  • Reply 36 of 89
    cbtech71 said:
    I disagree. Overall I wasn't impressed with the event, but this was definitely not a complete dud. If fact, I've seen more positive comments around that sketch than the rest of the event. Did they beat the sh$t out of the carbon neutral phrase the whole event?  Yes!  But the sketch was pretty good for what it was. 
    Agreed. The rest of the event was the same old product announcements -- and there wasn't even anything that exciting this time -- so at least they inserted something new and interesting to contrast the trudge through minor features being talked up.  

P.S. Their efforts to go carbon neutral costs them a lot of money to implement so they want to get their marketing mileage out of selling it to the masses...
    lotones
  • Reply 37 of 89
    Couldn’t disagree any harder! It was a brilliantly, lighthearted, way to talk about something very serious and generally bone dry to discuss. 
    thtMdRuckus9secondkox2lotonesronnhcrefugeeargonaut
  • Reply 38 of 89
    I strongly agree with Apple's environmental and sustainability policies, but I also agree that segment really didn't work. It was just super hokey. Fine to occasionally try something different (like, say, the G4 Cube), but I hope they learn that didn't work and don't do it again. 
    designrwilliamlondon9secondkox2argonaut
  • Reply 39 of 89
    I thought it was funny and witty.  and, Octavia Spencer!
    edited September 2023 thtOregonBirdwilliamlondon9secondkox2jSnivelylotonesronnhcrefugeeargonaut
  • Reply 40 of 89
    I didn’t think it was “padding” at all. Apple really does try much harder to be green than its competitors, and the appointment of Lisa Jackson ten years ago really has made a difference. In the admittedly not-great comedy, there was lots of information that I found fascinating. Apple’s green credentials might not matter that much to some people, but they matter to a lot of others, myself included. 

I do however agree that it was quite jarring and didn’t seem to fit well with the rest of the presentation. I’m not sure a “comedy” sketch was the best way to cover the information, and your question about the writers strikes is an interesting one, but I didn’t think of it as “padding” at all, Apple’s environmental credentials are important to me, and other people too. 
    edited September 2023 9secondkox2