Apple's 'Mother Nature' sketch was a complete dud, and didn't belong in the iPhone 15 even...

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    I agree. Although it was entertaining, it was more the sidekicks that got a chuckle.

It was beyond parody.

"The weather is whatever I want it to be" ... or really? Then why are you killing the planet? You fixed the plant only after you were satisfied?

The very idea. I don't blame apple, I blame the people who think they are right.
    edited September 2023
  • Reply 82 of 89
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    I thought the skit was pretty cringy and dumb.   I see what Apple was trying to do, but it just didn't work.  At least not work for me.   I really do miss Steve Jobs's press conferences.   Instead, we have a mix of all these people I could care less about talking about some small part all alone in whatever dumb location.
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 83 of 89
    Lighten up, Francis. 
    williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 84 of 89
    jhalmos said:
    I completely agree. The vibe was off, it felt long, there were no hooks in the writing, and Mother Nature was unlikable rather than powerful. Compare this to the outstanding EIGHT minute Find My piece done just before the writer's strike.

Get rid of the armchair. 
    williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 85 of 89
    For someone who writes far more complete duds than not, this is a bold claim.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 86 of 89
    This was a win, not a disaster. Viewers spent 5+ minutes watching a segment on environmental impact reduction with some star power behind it. Yeah, tightening it down to 4-1/2 minutes might have made a big improvement and it came a little too close to feeling corporate. But please calm down.

The premise of the video was amusing and Octavia was good in the role. Mother Nature was the stand-in for the audience - all of us that listen to companies that drone on about being good corporate citizens but in actuality DO very little and accomplish even less. Show. Me. The. Money.

And that's the point, delivered in a way that drew attention to something that most Apple customers don't think about. Yet when they are pushed to think about it, it's completely on-brand. This format was way better than a VP standing up and presenting these things or a product video throwing stats over footage of new planting in the rain forest. Not a home run, but a solid double.

Also - a great side benefit was allowing Ben Shapiro and Michael Knowles to again demonstrate what stupid, humorless d---, er, guys, they are by droning on about Tim Cook's pagan worship of Mother Nature. Now THAT was funny.
    ronnwilliamlondonthtfastasleep
  • Reply 87 of 89
    Everyone else on the planet thought it was smart and innovative. I wonder if race has something to do with your assessment.
    ronnwilliamlondon
  • Reply 88 of 89
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,254member
    Sorry, agree with AI.
    greenwashing.
    williamlondon