Drinking While At Work

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yeah, I started on the sauce an hour before closing. Miraculously, all of my problems seem small, I'm in a good mood, and I'm mellow enough that I haven't put my fist through anything today.

Anyone else tip back a few at work? Any other bad seeds in the world?

Just one Smirnoff Ice we're talking about here, but the slight buzz is nice. Ahhhhh....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    I sneaked out of the British Library for a spliff last week at lunch with someone and almost fell asleep in the afternoon. I won't be doing that again.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    in 1974 (!) i had my first job at a place called disc records where it was traditional, no, mandatory to get hammered on christmas eve day.

so i did.

what i forgot was i had to light candles at the midnight candle light service that night.

my father told me something about digging my grave and laying in it, when i begged out.

i awoke at eleven with the worst headache in my 16 year old life.

later lighting the candles every flame was a laser beam straight to my pounding brain. i got to my family's row and there they almost on the floor laughing to death, seeing my apparently agonized face.

i made it to the last row, then ran to the choir room and puked on all the robes.......

good times....good times....
  • Reply 3 of 29
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Yeah, I started on the sauce an hour before closing. Miraculously, all of my problems seem small, I'm in a good mood, and I'm mellow enough that I haven't put my fist through anything today.

Anyone else tip back a few at work? Any other bad seeds in the world?

Just one Smirnoff Ice we're talking about here, but the slight buzz is nice. Ahhhhh....

Only in Canada.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    rashumonrashumon Posts: 453member
    Here in the UK its quite common to go out to the pub in lunchtime to have a meal and a pint or two or three....

makes you nice and mellow!

I like the fact it's totally acceptabe here...

once had a quick spliff on a previous job (previous not because of the spliff ;-) ) and that was hillerious - work can sometimes be fun you know
  • Reply 5 of 29
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I have a beer or two with lunch sometimes...today actually. Some people freak out about it, but my lunch hour isn't paid and that never stopped me at my last job anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    We have beer Friday at my job. We also have beer for birthdays etc., really just about any excuse and we'll have a few.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I guess it doesn't count if you're working for yourself. Last summer I was freelancing some graphics and print & publishing, and I'd fairly often drink a few while I was 3D modeling or whatnot.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    I often drink at work, but my boss does too so I guess it doesnt really matter.

I should probably mention that i work at a brewery.

Cheers,

Dan
  • Reply 9 of 29
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    we keep 12 in the fridge for those days when it feels necessary... lately it's been necessary all the time. Theres one left way in the back actually, the last one, my boss bought them, I refuse because of my hallowed 'last beer goes to the dude that bought them" but its been there forever now.... what should I do?
  • Reply 10 of 29
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

'last beer goes to the dude that bought them" but its been there forever now.... what should I do?

buy another case?
  • Reply 11 of 29
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    As the old saying goes.....

" I'd rather a bottle in front of me...than a frontal lobotomy !"
  • Reply 12 of 29
    I wish we could.... it would be sweet ass with the foosball table.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Just want to drop a cautionary disclaimer after the preceding posts- if you are in a situation where you can get away with having a drink while on the clock, it's your own judgement call, but anyone else out there should not assume that they should or can do the same. You'd best test the policy "climate" of your workplace (or avoid it altogether) before considering having a drink. You could easily lose your job for something like that, and citing that people in other companies can do it just isn't going to fly. Then there's the obvious case where if you are driving or operating heavy machinery as a part of your job, then having a drink is definitely not a good idea.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    and turn down your stereo!!!
  • Reply 15 of 29
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    No I have never drank while at work nor even at lunch with the possibility of going back to work.

I really, really should though if anyone needs a drink to deal with the pressure of their work it is me.

Did I mention that I am a 4th grade teacher?

Nick
  • Reply 16 of 29
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Well when you are the boss and you work for yourself you can do as you wish! I usually don't drink anything unless it is past 5:00pm or so. With a meal etc.

Fellows
  • Reply 17 of 29
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    [eh...nm, nobody would have liked my opinion]
  • Reply 18 of 29
    I don't think drinking would have gone over too well at the call centre. There shouldn't be anything wrong with partaking in one of Nova Scotia's fine ales with lunch though.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Speaking of drinking at work, Thursday was Newman's day over here in Princeton NJ. Newman's day can best be explained by the quote:

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. . . . coincidence, I think not."

I abstained this year.

4/24
  • Reply 20 of 29
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Guilty