Who is into Ultimate Frisbee?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was wundrun who else around here is into Ultimate? enjoys throwing a disc, pick up games, or an organized league

I am on the team at my school:

http://wilsonhs.org/ultimate

(yes, i do the web page for it)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    As an informal lunchtime ultimate player,

its really fun

I'm not so good, and cocky 7th grade boys never throw the disk anyone but well, other 7th grade boys, and the school only has one good field, so i really only play when the highschoolers kick the littleschoolers away, i should play more often though.

We tried to form a team once, but it didnt work so well, no other teams anywhere to be found

nice web page
  • Reply 2 of 21
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    My school played it occasionallyin Gym class, it ruled. We would pay sometimes during lunch, a small group of us. One of my art teachers played in a league or something, he was always talking about it.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Immensely so. I played for a couple of years in high school Boston Ultimate Disc Alliance.

Once I got to college I joined my schools team Mr Yuk, and have done little besides play ultimate and work (occasionally I take time off to eat or sleep).

I love the sport, playing the sport on the field, but the people are better. The interesting people we meet from other teams. The collective experiences from going to tournaments, practicing, partying, staying at people's homes and so forth. Everybody tells you to get into a group and do an activity when you get to college, and I'm playing ultimate. We get to do all sorts of strange things: drive 14 hours each way to play two games, play in the worst weather imaginable, get drunk together, visit people's houses and meet their extraordinarily weird friends, get heckled by some of the biggest names in ultimate, fit 11 guys into one hotel room, you get the idea.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mountainyeti42

... play in the worst weather imaginable,...

'

oh yeah, for some reason, I ended up playing in snow, hail, freezing rain, mudslides...everything imaginable...and it is fun!!!
  • Reply 5 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Ultimate frisbee is one of those games that sucks as is, but if you add the contact element, it's pretty good. Of course, Australian football is quite similar to ultimate frisbee, and in my opinion is everything ultimate should be. Contact, limited running, and a ball instead of a stupid frisbee.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    when was the last time you played? It is insanley fun,
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

when was the last time you played? It is insanley fun,

i've always wondered what the hell that medieval tower looking thing is up there.

any idea?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    osxaddictosxaddict Posts: 131member
    My nephew plays it at Vandy and is into it immensely.

I haven't played since 94. Great game..a lot of fun.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

i've always wondered what the hell that medieval tower looking thing is up there.

any idea?

it is fort reno dude, highest point in DC
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

it is fort reno dude, highest point in DC

I thought that title belonged to the cathedral.

Anyway, I played ultimate a few months ago. I played drunken-contact-ultimate a few days ago.

Drunken-Contact Ultimate is so much better. Contact Ultimate is good as well. Regular Ultimate doesn't value athleticsm too much. But with the contact element, you've gotta keep your head up and dodge bodies. Good stuff.

Quote:

It provides a better cardiovascular workout than almost any other team sport.

I think it has baseball beat, but I don't know about the others.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    well, is it total contact? or can you only destroy the person who has the disc?

I donno, there is a lot of athletisism in ultimate-regular

it has soccer amount of running with a lot of basketball qualities, footbal qualities.... it is a great game, and you only need two people to have fun with the ball.....uhm...disc.....
  • Reply 12 of 21
    highest point in DC:

http://americasroof.com/dc.shtml

• Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

well, is it total contact? or can you only destroy the person who has the disc?

I donno, there is a lot of athletisism in ultimate-regular

it has soccer amount of running with a lot of basketball qualities, footbal qualities.... it is a great game, and you only need two people to have fun with the ball.....uhm...disc.....

I tend to run a lot more in soccer, and the guys I know on Clockwork Orange (Top Princeton team) get pretty winded (some, I would say, end up sucking air) when they come to Sunday afternoon pick up soccer, because there's a lot more shifting of direction in soccer, and that's what takes a lot of energy.

Anyway, the contact version isn't exactly filled with rules. But in general, it's like AFL. You have to drop the disc (you can pick it up again) after five steps, and when you have it you're liable to get creamed. When you add the drunken element, there's less adherence to the rules and bodies just fly around. But in the sober version most people only go after the guy with the frisbee.

Fessenden and 39th? IIRC that's a good area for road-blastin'. Jonathan might know what I mean.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    man, well, in college play, i hope there isn't a lot of chaning direction (which would mean a lot of turnovers...which happnes many times on my playings...)

high school ultimate is really about being able to know who is on your team and being able to disect the plays, which not many people on my team can do, because, well, we don't think too hard..... today, however, we had a good time at pratice... we scrimmaged, while the American univeristy girl's rugby team waited to get the field...BWHAHAHAHAHAHA

JK!

• Reply 15 of 21
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    The track season here in Texas ended a few weeks ago and my track team and I have begun playing the "Pizza Olympics." Essentially we split the entire track team in two (teams number about 60~70) and play over 2 soccer fields with 4 or more frisbees. Whichever team wins the most rounds of Ultimate gets a big pile of free pizza. It's damn fun, especially when you play it in the mud and have to do 75 push-ups immediatly afterwards.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    whoAw, that sounds cOOL!

got any pics?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

got any pics?

Sorry, no pics.

We play during school, since Track is an actual school period here in Texas.

We have at least 5 guys on each team that are over 6'3" so it can, and usually does, get a little physical.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Fessenden and 39th? IIRC that's a good area for road-blastin'. Jonathan might know what I mean.

Reno Road.

Pesky stop signs.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    that is the area of my school. Fort Reno is a great place to play ultimate, 'cept now they have split the field up with these fences that are chest high for some reason...... really doesn't work well, i believe.....

• Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

Reno Road.

Pesky stop signs.

What stop signs?