iPhone 15 overheat complaints are inconsistent, and it's unclear what's going on

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,068member
    Toortog said:
    But isn't one of the main reasons for wanting 3nm Apple Silicon is because it was suppose to run cooler.   Maybe the 3nm design used isn't as efficient as the 5nm so the new chips are having to work harder to do the same task and in turn generating more heat.   
    Not when you add more functions, cores, grow into a bigger playground it doesn’t, Apple filled the vacuum (A17) up with new responsibilities.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 22 of 29
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,381member
    I know AppleInsider often considers YouTubers a less than reliable source of information, but consider well what one respected tester has to say about the Instagram app consistently raising iPhone temperatures when doing nothing at all, which holds true among different iPhone models...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6X2ZIkYFsQ&t=478s

Nothing I read in the AppleInsider article seems to address the Instagram app, which as you know is not a gaming app.  And like I said, the testing indicates a large temperature increase even when doing nothing.  Since Apple vets all apps distributed in its app store, the question becomes how did Apple allow the Instagram app to get their approval?  Does Apple bear no responsibility for allowing apps that overheat iPhones to continue to be distributed?

I would appreciate it if you folks at AppleInsider could test the Instagram app and then write a follow-up article sharing your detailed thoughts.  Because in my opinion, if the Instagram app can cause heat to rise dramatically for no good reason at all, logic dictates that other non-gaming apps could do so as well.  This needs serious investigation.

Thank you.
    FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 23 of 29
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,039member
    My iPhone 13 Pro Max gets super warm after updating apps in the App Store. Then again I usually wait a week and I have over 100 apps that need to be updated  :D
    edited September 2023
  • Reply 24 of 29
    My wife hasn’t noticed any heat problems with her 15 pro. 

Is there really that much difference in mass of the metal frame to consider it a design compromise for heat transfer? What about the difference in surface area of metal exposed to the air? A case would prevent air transfer of heat. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 25 of 29
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,500member
    jdw said:
    I know AppleInsider often considers YouTubers a less than reliable source of information, but consider well what one respected tester has to say about the Instagram app consistently raising iPhone temperatures when doing nothing at all, which holds true among different iPhone models...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6X2ZIkYFsQ&t=478s

Nothing I read in the AppleInsider article seems to address the Instagram app, which as you know is not a gaming app.  And like I said, the testing indicates a large temperature increase even when doing nothing.  Since Apple vets all apps distributed in its app store, the question becomes how did Apple allow the Instagram app to get their approval?  Does Apple bear no responsibility for allowing apps that overheat iPhones to continue to be distributed?

I would appreciate it if you folks at AppleInsider could test the Instagram app and then write a follow-up article sharing your detailed thoughts.  Because in my opinion, if the Instagram app can cause heat to rise dramatically for no good reason at all, logic dictates that other non-gaming apps could do so as well.  This needs serious investigation.

Thank you.
    Everything you’re saying with respect to some apps making higher demands on the operating system and underlying hardware than other apps makes sense. Any app that creates lots of higher priority worker threads and keeps those threads running and doing work will absolutely increase the workload on the system. If those threads are also utilizing other system resources that consume power like the GPU, I/O including the radios and modem, various sensors, and of course the screen it only increases the power consumption and consequently the heat that needs to be dissipated from the device to prevent overheating.

It’s an over generalization to say that only gaming apps can stress a system. Yes, some games tend to be very resource intensive and spin up a lot of higher priority threads because they are doing a lot of multiprocessing to maintain the computational dynamic models that define the game space and action. Plus they are constantly interacting with the user and need to be as responsive as possible. Basically, there’s a lot of processing going on both in the background and in the user interaction on the screen and through user controls so these apps are telling the operating system they want to run as many threads as possible as often as possible. The operating system tries to accommodate their needs to the extent that it can by scheduling run time quotas that meet the scheduling priorities that the app has specified when it creates its threads. When there is a mix of threads with varying priorities running concurrently (in a time sliced manner) this tends to work well, but if several apps ask for high priority scheduling all at the same time, the system will as fast as it can, consume more power, and generate more heat. Worst case, apps start running too slow in the eyes of the user.

On the other hand, many less interactive apps spin up a threads but a lot of these threads are doing less intensive background processing or waiting in an idle state to be woken up to respond to an event or interrupt. If those events and interrupts aren’t coming at a breakneck pace, perhaps because the user is typing or staring at the screen or little to nothing is changing that needs updating, the demands on the system are much lower.

At the same time, the operating system itself has to run all of its own threads and processes along with all of the I/O and background tasks that it needs to keep the system running and in a consistent state. Fortunately the operating system does assert its own precedence to satisfy its needs over those of the client apps with their processes and threads that have demands of their own.

I don’t know whether Apple’s app review process place restrictions on how much demand an app places on the system. Hopefully the app reviewers profile the resource demands and consumption that apps present and consider whether these make sense for the purpose and function of the app. An app that exhibits unusually high resource consumption could be indicative of an app that is doing something unusual or nefarious in the background, something that doesn’t makes sense based on the app’s advertised functionality. If this is the case I suppose they dig a little deeper and go back to the developer to inquire why the app is such a resource hog in light of what it is supposed to be doing.

Whether Instagram falls into this category is anyone’s guess. But if Instagram is consuming resources and placing unusually high demands on the system for the functionality it provides then I suppose users can inquire about this to the app developer or request additional information from Apple by reporting its behavior as a bug.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 26 of 29
    My 15 Pro Max runs cooler than my 14 Pro did ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 27 of 29
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,680member
    I wish there was a website that compiled all of the complaints and issues (all of the blankety-gates) with every release (related only to potential design or operation faults) so we could put them into context when a new one comes around.  

Examples:
    iPhone 4’s antenna-gate. 
    iPhone 6 bend-gate. 
    iPhone ?? Yellow Screen-Gate
    iPhone 15 Pro Max rear glass breaking when bending-gate
    or 
    any major launch issue not related to sales volume (can’t activate, can’t order). 

Also, it would qualify them on if they were actual quality or design issues that had to be corrected or just knee-jerk reactions to  a temporary characteristic and the rush of new phones in the market and the voices of the biggest complainers.   Did it “disappear” in a week or two after launch with no update from Apple or was a change made to fix it?  

I think the overheating could simply be a symptom of a new iOS and new setups for most people or possibly Apple  setting in the sensitivity to temp a little too tight.  

Reviews were great for the phone. Did no reviewer have the overheating problem?  
    edited September 2023
  • Reply 28 of 29
    All phones run warmer on initial setup and first couple of week stabilization.  Which is why battery time is shorter for a while ( and after OS upgrade).  Always has been the case but I assumed that supposedly knowledgeable people were aware by now and that the routine dire observations after launch would have become less frequent in 2023.  Guess not.  Pro tip: it’ll be fine.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 770member
    And all you home chair electrical engineers were wrong! There is a problem and will be fixed. Maybe next time wait till their respond before rushing in to defend what even they won’t!