Instagram being blamed for iPhone 15 overheating issues

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    red oak said:
    darkvader said:
    So, the same version of the same app isn't a problem on earlier iPhones or iOS versions.

But it's somehow that app's fault?

Nope.  This is on Apple.
    The problem is specific to Instagram.  What to you think is the logical cause? 

Apple does note code their app for them.  If there was an issue, Meta should have found it in the months iOS 17 was in Beta  

Just having the stock Camera app open and using it for a longer time overheats the phone as well.
    darkvaderbaconstang
  • Reply 22 of 34
    big kc said:
    darkvader said:
    So, the same version of the same app isn't a problem on earlier iPhones or iOS versions.

Nope.  This is on Apple.
    Wrong. And delusional. 
    You’re the one that’s “delusional”.

Apple designs and builds the SoC, the thermal system, the outer casing, the operating system, the APIs, and is the gatekeeper for every application that runs on an iPhone – and yet the company still blames third party developers?

How is it even possible that any of these applications can cause unexpected overheating in the first place, and how, if the App Store review process is put in place to protect users, did nobody at Apple catch this during the review process?

No, this is on Apple and not a third-party developer.
    Clearly you’re not an engineer, it shows.
    williamlondonroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 34
    scatzscatz Posts: 30member
    I have an iPhone X that cannot be upgraded to ios17 as it is now deemed a legacy device (but still runs fine on ios 16).

If i use the daily telgraph app (uk news) it heats up after a while and becomes really hot. I check the battery usage and lo-and-behold the cpu use for the app is very high. Quit the app and it cools down pretty fast. That is not the phone or ios 16 but shoddy code in the app.

So, just saying, third party apps are sometimes the culprit !
    sphericAlex1NroundaboutnowwilliamlondonFileMakerFellerbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 34
    big kc said:
    darkvader said:

Nope.  This is on Apple.
    Wrong. And delusional. 

Apple designs and builds the SoC, the thermal system, the outer casing, the operating system, the APIs, and is the gatekeeper for every application that runs on an iPhone – and yet the company still blames third party developers?

How is it even possible that any of these applications can cause unexpected overheating in the first place, and how, if the App Store review process is put in place to protect users, did nobody at Apple catch this during the review process?

Actually, I am! I have released over 70 games in my games company that I founded in 2003. My company got acquired in 2019 by a VR enterprise learning company, in which I act as board member and innovation leader, where I am responsible for leading the longer term technical and product roadmap in collaboration with the respective stakeholders. 

On an engineering level I a background in C++, Unity, and web related languages such as PHP, NodeJS and the likes, although I am closely working with engineering experts nowadays who are obviously masters at their respective fields. Products I am involved in range from apps to 3D experiences, API creation and systems design.
    I still as of today work directly with a very talented engineer who was my 2nd hire over a 12 years ago who has knowledge of coding operating systems. I learned a lot from him.

Regardless of the above, your one-line response is not dissimilar to Jeffrey Lebowski’s “well, uh, that’s like your opinion, man.”. 

The operating system’s set of rules and systems such as the kernel take precedence over the apps that run on that operating system. Apps run in a container and may demand a lot of power, but it’s the operating system that grants them this or not. This is super basic stuff and the fact you don’t see the very obvious tells me you are not the engineer here, and if so, you are a junior at best, but more likely an intern.
    edited October 2023 Alex1Ndarkvaderroundaboutnowmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonFileMakerFellerbaconstang
  • Reply 25 of 34
    firelockfirelock Posts: 239member
    I was on a trip to Europe recently and noticed my iPhone 12 was getting hot and draining battery quickly. A check of the battery settings quickly showed the culprit: Instagram, despite the fact it was in the background and not being actively used. And this was before I had updated to iOS 17.
    Alex1Nroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 34
    dee_deedee_dee Posts: 114member
    spheric said:
    darkvader said:

Nope.  This is on Apple.
    You have ZERO basis upon which to make that claim. 

TL;DR: we don't know whom to blame, at this point. 
    You are incorrect.  This is probably Apple's fault and related to the new hardware.  First, it's the same App. Second, if Instagram did something wrong, it would have likely come up during the beta period.
    edited October 2023 darkvaderwilliamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 34
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,569member
    dee_dee said:
    spheric said:
    darkvader said:

Nope.  This is on Apple.
    You have ZERO basis upon which to make that claim. 

TL;DR: we don't know whom to blame, at this point. 
    You are incorrect.  This is probably Apple's fault and related to the new hardware.  First, it's the same App. Second, if Instagram did something wrong, it would have likely come up during the beta period.
    Well, apparently it is in part Apple‘s fault (though partly for allowing Instagram to use that much power), and its iOS 17, and nothing to do with the new hardware. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 34
    dee_deedee_dee Posts: 114member
    spheric said:
    Well, apparently it is in part Apple‘s fault (though partly for allowing Instagram to use that much power), and its iOS 17, and nothing to do with the new hardware. 

This snippet indicates to me that it is related to the new hardware:

Another issue involves some recent updates to third-party apps that are causing them to overload the system. We’re working with these app developers on fixes that are in the process of rolling out.
    Being able to drain the battery at the rate of 1% a minute should not be possible, and given that this was separate from the iOS bug would indicate hardware.
    darkvaderwilliamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 34
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    crlee said:
    darkvader said:

Nope.  This is on Apple.
    Nope... it's on Facebook.   Google "Negative Testing Facebook", and you can see the story behind what's going on.  It's a test they do to measure app performance on mobile devices.
    Look, I hate F*c*book as much as anybody, I don't allow any of their crap on my hardware.

But this is on Apple.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 34
    longfanglongfang Posts: 463member
    big kc said:
    darkvader said:

Nope.  This is on Apple.
    Wrong. And delusional. 

Actually, I am! I have released over 70 games in my games company that I founded in 2003. My company got acquired in 2019 by a VR enterprise learning company, in which I act as board member and innovation leader, where I am responsible for leading the longer term technical and product roadmap in collaboration with the respective stakeholders. 

On an engineering level I a background in C++, Unity, and web related languages such as PHP, NodeJS and the likes, although I am closely working with engineering experts nowadays who are obviously masters at their respective fields. Products I am involved in range from apps to 3D experiences, API creation and systems design.
    I still as of today work directly with a very talented engineer who was my 2nd hire over a 12 years ago who has knowledge of coding operating systems. I learned a lot from him.

Regardless of the above, your one-line response is not dissimilar to Jeffrey Lebowski’s “well, uh, that’s like your opinion, man.”. 

The operating system’s set of rules and systems such as the kernel take precedence over the apps that run on that operating system. Apps run in a container and may demand a lot of power, but it’s the operating system that grants them this or not. This is super basic stuff and the fact you don’t see the very obvious tells me you are not the engineer here, and if so, you are a junior at best, but more likely an intern.
    Cough, software engineer, cough. Nuff said. 
    edited October 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Had a 12 pro max starting burning up Nd draining battery ONLY on instagram then switched to another phone /another 12 pro max Same thing only with Insta. Spent countless hours at Apple clueless employees store. Then Apple told me buy the 15 wont happen again! Bought a 15 pro max and Burns up and drains when on instagram! The minute you go on insta you feel it heating its crazy! I use instagram for business so obviously…. Did all the recommendations and still burning and draining like crazy. 
    williamlondonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 32 of 34
    My iPhone 14 Pro Max battery had not been lasting as long as it used too.
    Battery settings showed that Instagram was draining my battery. I deleted the app and re-installed, same issue.
    I’ve completely removed Instagram from my iPhone, and my battery issues are gone.
    It is a meta 🤢 app after all!
    sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 34
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,928member
    darkvader said:
    crlee said:
    darkvader said:

Nope.  This is on Apple.
    Nope... it's on Facebook.   Google "Negative Testing Facebook", and you can see the story behind what's going on.  It's a test they do to measure app performance on mobile devices.
    Look, I hate F*c*book as much as anybody, I don't allow any of their crap on my hardware.

But this is on Apple.
    No it’s on Facebook/Meta they know what they’re doing and they’ve done it before, scumbags to the end…. Facebook played silent audio so it could stay active in the background sound familiar?

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/xmsa5r/be_aware_facebook_is_running_in_background/

https://techcrunch.com/2015/10/22/facebook-says-it-fixed-a-bug-that-caused-silent-audio-to-vampire-your-iphone-battery/

https://droidwin.com/facebook-story-playing-audio-even-in-silent-mode-fix/

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3762200/how-to-keep-an-iphone-app-running-on-background-fully-operation

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/7zqbad/facebook_videos_played_with_sound_while_iphone_on/

killroyFileMakerFellersphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 34
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,569member
    dee_dee said:
    spheric said:

This snippet indicates to me that it is related to the new hardware:

Another issue involves some recent updates to third-party apps that are causing them to overload the system. We’re working with these app developers on fixes that are in the process of rolling out.
    Being able to drain the battery at the rate of 1% a minute should not be possible, and given that this was separate from the iOS bug would indicate hardware.
    Just a few sentences on, the link explicitly mentions that that particular issue affected both an iPhone 15 Pro AND an iPhone 14 Pro…
    ”…showing the buggy version of Instagram heating two different iPhones to 100°F: one an iPhone 15 Pro, the other a year-old iPhone 14 Pro. Exact same overheating issue.”

Care to revise your assessment?
    watto_cobra