NHL Playoffs 2003

Comments

• Reply 41 of 259
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    That would be a brutal series to be sure. Two teams notorius for roughing it up in the NZ and playing hard-nosed hockey, plus all the bad blood from the North Stars being sold, plus the ole "it's our game" mentality that you find in Minnesota and Canada = intense series.

I think the best game tonight though will probably be Vancouver and St. Louis. These two teams have been pounding each other but not in the NZ, instead along the end-boards. I can't remember the last time I've seen so many guys take runs at other players away from the puck, and at the same time have the game be fast-paced with plenty of scoring. Awesome series so far. I just hope the Nucks can dig deep for the home crowd and prevail.
  • Reply 42 of 259
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    flick on cbc for the canucks game and you'll hear something unusual

the opening anthems...

Star Spangled Banner sung by a performer (mark donnelly)

O Canada sung by him and 18,000 fans (mic turned off for half)

nice to hear the team spirit in harmony
  • Reply 43 of 259
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

flick on cbc for the canucks game and you'll hear something unusual

the opening anthems...

Star Spangled Banner sung by a performer (mark donnelly)

O Canada sung by him and 18,000 fans (mic turned off for half)

nice to hear the team spirit in harmony

Okay that was frickin' awesome. Sent chills down my back.

Made me feel proud to be Canadian. Go Canucks Go! (the Leafs are history )
  • Reply 44 of 259
    Yeah!!!!!! The Canucks are winning 3-1. Go Canucks Go!!!!!!
  • Reply 45 of 259
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    So was that holding the stick call the worst of the playoffs thus far or what?
  • Reply 46 of 259
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    What a game from the Canucks tonight. Right on. Bring that cup up North, baby.

• Reply 47 of 259
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, that holding call sucked ass. but we won anyway!

Go Wild!

(assuming you meant the same call from the same game.)
  • Reply 48 of 259
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

What a game from the Canucks tonight. Right on. Bring that cup up North, baby.

How about an all Canadian final. Ottawa vs Vancouver. East vs. West. That would be sweet.
  • Reply 49 of 259
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

How about an all Canadian final. Ottawa vs Vancouver. East vs. West. That would be sweet.

I have a feeling that executives at ABC Sports and/or ESPN might disagree with you

Lowest. Ratings. Evar!
  • Reply 50 of 259
    Quote:

Originally posted by CaseCom

I have a feeling that executives at ABC Sports and/or ESPN might disagree with you

Lowest. Ratings. Evar!

I wasn't even aware that ABC or ESPN had any interest in hockey!

Well, at least a serious interest.

Regardless, here in Canada, the CBC would have record viewership!
  • Reply 51 of 259
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I would love to see that.
  • Reply 52 of 259
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Could be worse. Could be a Canadian team vs. the Devils.
  • Reply 53 of 259
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Who gives a rat's pa-toot what ABC wants / likes. Other than a couple shows their network is almost as shameless as Fux. Anyway, I think an Ottawa - Vancouver final would likely be the most exciting of all the remaining possibilities. Canadian pride, small payrolls, big heart, bigtime effort and the best fans there are. Would be an excellent series for any true fan of the game.

PS - Canadians sound great when they sing their anthem because they actually know the words. In places like Dallas they only know the "STARS!" part. If they turned the mics off in American arenas, I would feel shame afterward I can tell you that. It would be pitiful-sounding.

• Reply 54 of 259
    The Canucks have defanetly woken up from their little fit that they did not win the division. The Wild will be a worthy opponent and it will be a very exciting series. The Senators will also have a worthy opponent and the Flyers will defanetly will be out for revenge from last years playoff loss.
  • Reply 55 of 259
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Who gives a rat's pa-toot what ABC wants / likes. Other than a couple shows their network is almost as shameless as Fux. Anyway, I think an Ottawa - Vancouver final would likely be the most exciting of all the remaining possibilities. Canadian pride, small payrolls, big heart, bigtime effort and the best fans there are. Would be an excellent series for any true fan of the game.

PS - Canadians sound great when they sing their anthem because they actually know the words. In places like Dallas they only know the "STARS!" part. If they turned the mics off in American arenas, I would feel shame afterward I can tell you that. It would be pitiful-sounding.

well in comparison to the tone deaf woman brutalizing the Star Spangled Banner at the start of the Leafs-Flyers 7th game, the Canucks fans are worth listening to... simple and universal, not some egostroking personalized version

don't even get people started on Macy Gray
  • Reply 56 of 259
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol, us minnesotans are so close to canada it's like we're half canuk anyway.
  • Reply 57 of 259
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

lol, us minnesotans are so close to canada it's like we're half canuk anyway.

Hahahaha

Well the wild are already the underdogs in the series, I've herad canuks in 6 games, and canuks in 5 games for predictions........Seems to be what the said about the avs too.....
  • Reply 58 of 259
    OMG. I spent the evening out with my family, got home and got them all to bed, and fire up the TV for the 11:00 edition of TSN Sportsdesk.

Well, that was the plan anyway, if it weren't for the Ducks/Stars game I'm looking at with 5 minutes to go in the FOURTH OVERTIME PERIOD!!!

It's currently the 6th longest game in Stanley Cup history. I guess I get to watch some hockey after all!
  • Reply 59 of 259
    Jesus christ, Sykora just wrestled Sydor down in the corner, they're both laying on the puck. They're not even trying to get the damn thing, just laying there until the whistle blows. Then they both have a laugh as they slowly drag their tired asses up off the ice, with heavy use of the stick as a crutch.

I guess being one period into of your third playoff game of the night does that to you.

EDIT - 4th OT over. Here we go... 5th overtime coming. Wow. Not too often you get to say "quintuple overtime".
  • Reply 60 of 259
    RORRRWWWW

Jesus H Christ. Anaheim wins it 55 seconds into the 5th overtime. Fourth longest game in Stanley Cup history.

*looks at all my posts in a row*

"Hello, uh, is this thing on?"

*tap* *tap*