12" PB Start up times

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I recently purchased a 12" PowerBook for a friend ( I get to play with it until their birthday ). I showed it to someone (a Windows user) and they commented on the slow startup time. I know that the HD is varified and repaired at startup, so I expect generally slower startup times compared to a Windows machine. But I also noticed that it was alot slower at startup and shutdown than my 700 MHz G3 iMac. Both have the same capacity HD's only the PB's is relatively empty whereas the iMacs is 2/3 full. Both run OS X 10.2.5.

Now does anybody know what determines the startup and shut down times and why the difference?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I don't have any specifics for you on startup speed... but I'll ask this question nicely before a dozen people rush in here screaming.

Why did you have to start it up in the first place? Most of the Mac using people I know never shut down their laptops unless they're installing RAM, an Airport Card, or they're rebooting after an OS update.

Not the answer you're looking for, but when even a weekly reboot is a lot, it's not something I even give a second thought.

• Reply 2 of 41
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    My 12" PB takes seemingly forever to boot: it's got to be a good five minutes. I don't have any insight as to why this should be, but, again, I just let it sleep when I'm not using it.

On the other hand, my 1.2GHz Cube (also with a 40GB hard drive) gets to the login screen 20 seconds after I power it up, which is handy since it won't wake from sleep...
  • Reply 3 of 41
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    five minutes is excessive, is it looking for network drives/devices?

but as others mentioned, OSX is designed to be put to sleep and woken up again, not shut down and restarted all the time.

most people restart their macs once every 10-20 days at most.

(see, no screaming)
  • Reply 4 of 41
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

most people...

You mean... "most Apple geeks who post at AppleInsider..."

The few people I've seen who are new to OS X generally shut down their computer, at which point I tell them that having it sleep is better. My mom's dual 500 always sleeps now.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

five minutes is excessive, is it looking for network drives/devices?

Nope, I don't use no steenking DHCP and always disconnect network devices before I sleep it. I honestly don't know just how long it is, because I'm usually doing something else while I wait.

It's not something I'm going to get upset over, anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    cesarocesaro Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Why did you have to start it up in the first place? Most of the Mac using people I know never shut down their laptops unless they're installing RAM, an Airport Card, or they're rebooting after an OS update.

hmm.. Thanks for the restrained comment.

This is something that I will have to get used to (at least until I have to give the PB away hrmph. ) I had tried this for a little while until everything froze and I had to force a restart! not something I expected from a brand new PowerBook but perhaps it was caused by something else.

Putting PB to sleep now....
  • Reply 7 of 41
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    How much RAM does it have? More RAM could lengthen the boot process.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

How much RAM does it have? More RAM could lengthen the boot process.

Well The 12" PowerBook has 640MB RAM but the iMac has 768MB RAM, so that doesn't seem to follow. Maybe it has something to do with the Boot ROM version?
  • Reply 9 of 41
    The fact that the hard drive is giving away some 3000rpm on the PowerBook might be a factor...
  • Reply 10 of 41
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    have you repaired permissions recently? it speeds up start-up by a considerable amount...
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Not since 10.2.5, but repairing them after 10.2.4 didn't seem to speed it up any.

Like I say, it's not really an issue: I virtually never reboot this machine.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Restart? Shutdown?

I haven't seen an OS X machine boot in so long that I've forgotten how long its supposed to take. The only time I reboot is when required by an update and normally I just go grab a glass of water. Upon returning, the login prompt is waiting for me.

Can you time the startup and post the results? I'd reboot my dual 450 for old-time's sake and to provide a comparison.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Overhope

Not since 10.2.5, but repairing them after 10.2.4 didn't seem to speed it up any.

so after installing 10.2.5 did you repair permissions? if not then try that. i did and it did speed up start-up a bit...
  • Reply 14 of 41
    I have an aluminum footlong, and it boots up just like normal My 12" PB boots fine too

I haven't noticed it being any longer than I would expect (I don't reboot often). And definintely nothing in the range of 5 minutes. 640MB RAM here.

Something is going on with your install it sounds like.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Well lets see... On 12" PowerBook 640MB RAM OS X 10.2.5 with permissions just repaired, shutdown took 12 sec, not bad this time. Startup took 1 min. 20 sec. to get to OS X status screen and another ten seconds to get to user login screen, not too great but it's not five minutes either. However this no longer seems a problem since wake from sleep is a few seconds if shutting down all the time is not necessary.

I'd be interested to see how these times compare to others.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    a minute and a half sounds about right to me. 5 minutes would be long.

let us know how the sleep method works though. i think you'll be pleasently surprised.

my wife scares the crap out of me with that stuff though. she'll be working on 200MB photoshop files, not even save them, then close the lid. she'll come back in an hour, open in back up and keep right on working. she hasn't lost any work yet, but it still makes me cringe to see it.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    /me resets uptime on PowerBook

1 minute 27 seconds to the login screen

Just seems like forever compared to my Cube.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    My 12" PB takes 1 minute 39 seconds, also significantly longer than my G3 iMac DV 400. Same OS X 10.2.5, same 640 MB of RAM. I'm chalking up the difference to the HD's rotational speed.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My powerbook took 1:36 to boot.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    go to Directory Access. Only click on as much you really need.

for me: rendesvous; apple talk; smb.