oooooooooh.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://bassque.gasullivan.com/rx7_sandrail_384.wmv

yes, it's windows media.

my god.

there's something terribly cathartic about watching this. Place, for instance, in your imagination, whoever you're currently angry with in the driver's seat of that car.

oh yeah.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Perhaps you should warn the poor unfortunates on dial-up that it's an 11 MB download.

• Reply 2 of 22
    mmmmmmmmmmmm

Well worth it, even if you have no bandwidth. Just be patient.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    i don't like SUV's.

I want me one of those.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Damm gotta download Windows meadia player!!! Must be good!
  • Reply 5 of 22
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    ...I want a belt-fed minigun.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    dude, i want one.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    The ultimate in road-warrior accessories.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I watched the episode. Ug. It was kind of a bullshit challenge, since the sand rails it raced were purpose-built AND had bigger engines by far. I think the producers actually wanted to see it fail. Not only is it japanese, but it doesn't even have pistons.

But you should have seen the reaction on rx7forum.com. Wow. (You can get the gist of it by checking rotarynews.com)
  • Reply 9 of 22
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    we have a new policy. if your'e voted a failure with your posts at AI.........
  • Reply 10 of 22
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Wow that sucker gives new meaning to road rage.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    enaena Posts: 667member
    well-done!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    not that it's smart to correct a dude with jesse's attitude and armament,

but, no way that "Dylan Minigun: .30(in) calibre @ 3000 spm" is "the fastest firing".

i call hype.

the old Vulcan 20mm could spit more than 6000 rds/min

Quote:

M61/M61A1 Vulcan 20mm Aircraft Gun (1946-1975). The M61 20mm Vulcan is a U.S. Air Force externally powered, six-barrel, rotary-fire Gatling gun having a rate of fire of up to 7,200 spm. The firing rate is selectible at 4,000 spm or 6,000 spm.

from here

Code:

Specifications for representative members of the Vulcan family,

M61A1 (original Vulcan 20mm cannon); M134 or GAU-2B/A Minigun;

XM124 Microgun "Six-Pak", and GAU-8A Avenger (A-10 aircraft):

Ammunition 20mm 7.62mm 5.56mm 30mm

Muzzle Velocity 3500fps 2850fps 3250fps 32-3400fps

Rate-of-fire 6000spm 4000spm 400 to 2100spm

10,000spm 4200spm

and a 20mm cannon shell is a whole other league of whoop ass...

a .30 cal round is a little bigger than a bic lighter,

a 20mm cannon round is almost the size of a long neck beer!

edit: found a visual reference... the wee one is a .30 - next to it (2nd left) is a 20mm. way more powder

From left to right: 7.62x51mm, 20x102mm, 25x137mm, 40x311mm, 105x371mm

• Reply 13 of 22
    The GAU-8 avenger cannon is a psycho weapon.

1) fires 30mm, 9 inch long depleted uranium bullets.

2) 7x 21 foot long rotating barrells.

3) It produces so much kick back that it actually generates more force than the A10's 2 engines combined. (so don't let it go too long or you'll stall).

But I've seen some footage where the avenger does to tanks what that the minigun did to the car. . . and we're talking about 4+ inches thick of laminated, reinforced metal that is insanely strong.

I remember that in the first gulf war an A10 pilot engaged an Iraqi helicopter with the avenger. The helicopter went down fast.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    ah, the uranium hose...

anecdotally, early Canadian tests of the Vulcan 20mm cannon mounted in an F-104 included a curious case of "friendly fire"

over the firing range and according to the test protocol, pilot released a 1 second burst (@ 6000rds/min) at a ground target.

nose down into power dive, full afterburner, and pulled up over the range for close camera footage of the resulting impact

unfortunately, aircraft velocity outpaced muzzle velocity, and he was level over target area as burst arrived.

first round impacted just behind the cockpit... from there back, the largest single piece of the plane recovered afterwards was about 6 inches long.

hello universal shredder.

not quite the planned demo, but extremely convincing to Air Force Brass, whose recommendations included not only purchase of the Vulcan system, but also new range safety policies.

to my knowledge, the only self-shootdown in modern canadian air combat... and no, the pilot didn't accept the kill they offered to paint under his cockpit
  • Reply 15 of 22
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    only in america...
  • Reply 16 of 22
    And please don't be so damn self righteous and expect me to take it without making fun of Europe. That was a perfectly fine use of a minigun. You will probably never know what it's like to fire a gun, and it's your loss.

Anyway, I think the self inflicted gun disaster is an urban myth. How fast can an F104 go in a full after burn dive without totally losing it? Not faster than Mach 3.5 for sure. The bullets are travelling faster than that.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

You will probably never know what it's like to fire a gun, and it's your loss.

You know, Norway actually has a higher density of firearms than in the USA. In my family alone we have about ten shotguns and rifles.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

You know, Norway actually has a higher density of firearms than in the USA. In my family alone we have about ten shotguns and rifles.

hush! don't tell them that.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    So what do you use the guns for over there in Europe if you don't use them to shoot cars?

Hey man, I've shot cars before. . . for cheap thrills. . . at a junkyard. It's better than bowling, which is better than spending friday night at home. And you don't have to wake up really early and go sit in a camo box.

And no, at the time I did not have a girlfriend.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

hush! don't tell them that.