Is... S.A.R.S. Overblown ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The statistics don't lie, of every 100 cases....95+ survive.

& yet the "media" have created such a panic, that whole cities & national industries are facing economic ruin.

It's really beginning to bite hard...& I really think that the media should be held accountable for causing such a world wide panic.

Toronto is getting a real kick in the guts over this.

Compared to the " Spanish Flu " of the early 1900's, this is a cake walk, & sars certainly hasn't got anywhere near the lethality of Bubonic plague, or even malaria.....& yet the media pumps this for all its worth..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2973293.stm

By the way It's Malaria in Africa awareness week.

In case anyone didn't notice, 3000 children die of malaria in Africa EVERY DAY. That's Not including the frail, elderly or even healthy adults....& doesn't include other malarial countries (mostly 3rd world.)

But then, these deaths aren't as important to the world, because they don't have as much economic clout....& maybe it's because they're .....dare I say it.......Black !

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    let us hope for a remedy soon \\\\

• Reply 2 of 43
    yes it is. it's the same with the west nile virus and the shark attacks a couple years back.

"don't believe the hype" - Flavor Flav
  • Reply 3 of 43
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    ......and all those government reports of "imminent terrorist attacks"....
  • Reply 4 of 43
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    The scary thing about SARS is not is fatality rate, but its infection rate.

Just close contact alone is able to spread this terrible virus.

there's a case in Singpaore where a woman infected her entire family and only she survived. She also infected 50 other people. I am sure she will feel very remorse for the rest of her life.

SARS is definately not overblown and one should be very careful and see the doctor fast if symptons of SARS occur.

I pray no one in the AI community will get this virus.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    I don't know...I think that even though SARS might not be quite as fatal, the problem is that not enough is known about it. In addition, as a virus it mutates quite easily and already has. I think the point of the WHO health warnings is that they don't know enough about the disease and there's no real pattern as to who dies from it and who doesn't. It's not like diseases that just pick off the elderly, or children, or people with weak immune systems. Besides, I'd rather have a media that tells us too much then the Chinese media that tells us nothing.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My boss is flying to Europe and his wife is making him wear a mask. I'm sure he'll have to leave his balls behind too
  • Reply 7 of 43
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

......and all those government reports of "imminent terrorist attacks"....

• Reply 8 of 43
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

The statistics don't lie, of every 100 cases....95+ survive.

& yet the "media" have created such a panic

Imagine if 1/20 people died from the common cold...SARS is just as easily transmitted to another person.

I yanked a few Kimberley-Clark and 3M N95 respiratory masks from my sister just in case.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Imagine if 1/20 people died from the common cold...SARS is just as easily transmitted to another person.

Yep at the world scale it make 300 millions deaths, and in US only 15 millions.

The potential threat of SARS is really overated.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Yes SARS is scary shite and countries should be taking every precaution with any outbreak of disease but...... come on...... it's not as much as 1/20 cases resulting in death. And you can't take a percentage and apply it equally to every country..... How many people have died so far? 258? And how many people die every year from influenza? 35-40 THOUSAND? I know it's not quite the same situation.. but SARS is no different than any other over-hyped story in the media. 24 hours news has no other choice but to take the top story and run with it. It's the nature of the beast. And now that there's even more 24 hour cable news networks... it's amplified.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    enaena Posts: 667member
    overblown?

What does this have to do with the Dixie Chicks?

...oh wait, wrong thread.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

My boss is flying to Europe and his wife is making him wear a mask. I'm sure he'll have to leave his balls behind too

Very thoughtful of her. We wouldn´t want it spread here as it has done in US

According to the WHO overview US have 50% more cases of SARS than we do. And we are more people.

http://www.who.int/csr/sarscountry/2003_04_23/en/

WOW. You have 39 cases? We better close the boarders from US right NOW.

Notice SARS isn´t just bad. Look at Malaysia. Apperantly it also cures people who have died from other diseases.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Indeed! I agree! I wouldnt be surprised if more people died each day around the world from the common cold*

In fact I heard something like that on the radio a little while ago!
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by trevorM

Indeed! I agree! I wouldnt be surprised if more people died each day around the world from the common cold*

In fact I heard something like that on the radio a little while ago!

Heh, just wait 'til SARS reaches critical mass. First, do you think China is being completely honest with the number of cases reported? And second, what will happen when SARS and sub-Saharan Africa meet-up? If a modern metropolis like Toronto or Hong Kong can't handle SARS, what do you think could happen elsewhere?
  • Reply 15 of 43
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by n a d n e r b

. but SARS is no different than any other over-hyped story in the media. 24 hours news has no other choice but to take the top story and run with it. It's the nature of the beast. And now that there's even more 24 hour cable news networks... it's amplified.

Wrong , a infection which is able to kill 5 % of infected people and that can spread around easily is a real danger. If Sars contamined as many people as influenza, the result will be dramatic. Unlike influenza there is no vaccination nor therapy.

You blame the media, for is amplification, i think that you should thanks the chinese media for their excellent dedramitized reporting of the subject, that has allowed it to extand.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:

You blame the media, for is amplification, i think that you should thanks the chinese media for their excellent dedramitized reporting of the subject, that has allowed it to extand.

I agree completely

On a side note the economy is already taken a hit from the SARS scare, whats the worst that could happen now from the media hype? Some people might not get sick?

On the other hand if you look at the number of deaths almost all the people who have actually died from it had prior health problems and where almost all over the age of 40.

When I say health problems I`m refering to Heart, kidney and liver problems..

Take it how you will but a man in a town less that 20 miles away from me was just taken in for it and with out this media hype me nor my family would know or be prepared for an outbreak that close to home.

PS: That man was in canandaigua, NY, USA
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Be prepared!

• Reply 18 of 43
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    [IMG]DSCN0001.JPG[/IMG]

Apparently I am unable to post attatchments...weird ?

So for Eugene....I was posting an image of a flyspray can next to my Mac.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Heh, just wait 'til SARS reaches critical mass. First, do you think China is being completely honest with the number of cases reported? And second, what will happen when SARS and sub-Saharan Africa meet-up? If a modern metropolis like Toronto or Hong Kong can't handle SARS, what do you think could happen elsewhere?

Actually thats a scary thought if it hit a poverty stricken or less developed region. It truely would be devistating!
  • Reply 20 of 43
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Eugene's cat.