changing many songs' file location for iTunes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello. I have all my MP3s stored on two places on my home network. One is stored on my Windows client which is what iTunes uses. I also store them on my Linux machine using Samba. I would like to change iTunes from using the Windows network share to the Linux one (which is on 24/7 and has an uptime of over 110 days). What would be the best way to do this? I found the files where iTunes stores the Library, but there are two files and I don't know which one to edit. Should I edit the .xml file or the other one? Or, is there an easier way?

Thanks,

Andrew Hitchcock

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    Sorry, but *bump*. Doesn't anyone know the answer? I will be glad to clarify if you don't understand my question.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I don't think that you need to edit any of those files. I put my iTunes music into a shared folder so that my wife can access the music when she logs on. If you go into iTunes Prefs you can specify which folder to put your music in.

Hope this is what you're looking for.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    If you've got your entire collection in both places then it would be easiest to trash your link to the first and just start again with the second.

If you do this you will lose some metadata, times played, ratings etc.

This seems easiest, is there a reason why this won't work for you?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    Happy Camper: Err, not quite. I have to files duplicated on two network drives and I just wanted to move which one iTunes uses to the other networked Volume.

stupider...likeafox: Okay, thanks. I tried editing my library file with no success. I guess I will just do that then. The reason I am hesitant is because I have rated a lot of songs and, since I don't use iTunes very often, it took a while to build up somes stats. However, if I get an iPod on Monday it won't matter if I wipe the stats now because they will be rebuilt real fast.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    guestguest Posts: 112member