Apple debuts third-generation Apple Pencil with USB-C charging

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    HonkersHonkers Posts: 156member
    This a pretty poorly written article. 

Apple isn’t replacing either the gen 1 or gen 2 Apple Pencil with this one. Both the gen 1 and 2 are still being sold.  They are adding a lower cost option to the line up and not it’s not terribly surprising that the lower end version doesn’t have all the features of the higher end versions. 

They also aren’t calling it a generation 3 pencil. That’s something Apple Insider has made up. Apple is calling it Apple Pencil (USB-C). They

specifically avoided calling it Gen 3 to avoid the confusion Apple Insider has created. 

Just delete the article and start over. 
    The other 2 pencils are lightning based. Because the ipads they paired with were lightning based. 
    The Pencil 2 is not Lightning based.
    netrox9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 48
    This a pretty poorly written article. 

Apple isn’t replacing either the gen 1 or gen 2 Apple Pencil with this one. Both the gen 1 and 2 are still being sold.  They are adding a lower cost option to the line up and not it’s not terribly surprising that the lower end version doesn’t have all the features of the higher end versions. 

They also aren’t calling it a generation 3 pencil. That’s something Apple Insider has made up. Apple is calling it Apple Pencil (USB-C). They

specifically avoided calling it Gen 3 to avoid the confusion Apple Insider has created. 

Just delete the article and start over. 
    The other 2 pencils are lightning based. Because the ipads they paired with were lightning based. 

New idevices are usb-c from now on. Apple has to provide usb-c accessories. It’s basically the only way to charge unless you have an older lightning cable (first gen) or go buy one. So it is basically the replacement. And prices low because it doesn’t have the functionality to make it useful as anything other than a UI stylus and basic sketch/text tool. 
    What are you talking about? The 2nd generation Pencil isn’t lightning based. It doesn’t plug in at all.  It pairs and charges wirelessly.

9secondkox2Alex1Nwatto_cobrabyronltht
  • Reply 23 of 48
    nubusnubus Posts: 386member
    If we're confused here, then just imagine ordinary shoppers! It should have been named Apple Pencil SE. Removing pressure sensitivity seems like a.. sensitive decision. It also indicates that Apple is looking at cost for iPad as a platform. I wish Apple would fix the naming of iPad accessories. The "Pencil 4th gen" should be "Pencil Pro".
    pscooter639secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 48
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    nubus said:
    It also indicates that Apple is looking at cost for iPad as a platform. I wish Apple would fix the naming of iPad accessories. The "Pencil 4th gen" should be "Pencil Pro".
    I don't remember Apple using the Pro descriptor for any of its peripherals. Perhaps they did at one time but it doesn't appear to be their current marketing strategy. Probably too confusing. That implies that it would only work with the iPad Pro models.

Many people will gravitate to the least expensive model anyhow, regardless of the generation number.

Remember that Apple prototypes many different things. There is undoubtedly a Pencil prototype with pressure sensitivity and USB-C charging. There's probably another with wireless charging. There are probably prototypes with other unreleased features.

Apple chose to release this particular one to market at this time. Undoubtedly they started working on the 4th generation Apple Pencil months ago.
    edited October 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 48
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Do none of you people remember this article from a few weeks back:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/09/30/apple-pencil-3-leak-claims-changeable-magnetic-tips-are-on-the-way

They’ll likely reintroduce pressure sensitivity via dedicated tips, so that only the people that need the function will have to pay for it. 

We’re all going to be ok. 
    edited October 2023 muthuk_vanalingamAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Please - rewrite this article to reflect the Pencil situation. This is not the 3rd generation in the Apple Pencil line.

I was incredulous reading the specs of this new Pencil and considering buying three or four ‘old’ Pencils with wireless charging for future proofing, until I read the comments, which clarified things.

Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 48
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    I haven't tried Apple Pencil competitors but it seems like it would be a lot cheaper to just use the competing pencils sold on Amazon since the 3gen pencil doesn't support pressure sensitivity. 

Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 48
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    dymmas said:
    Please - rewrite this article to reflect the Pencil situation. This is not the 3rd generation in the Apple Pencil line.
    The previous product is marketed by Apple as Apple Pencil (2nd generation). So for all intents and purposes this is really the third generation product, whether or not Apple uses those words. They do not. This product is marketed as Apple Pencil (USB-C).

Joe Consumer will refer to it as the 3rd generation Apple Pencil anyhow.
    edited October 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Very serious question here, why offer tilt INSTEAD of pressure? is tilt cheaper? What features does it offer better than pressure?

I have a iPad Pro with a 2nd gen pencil, I also have an iPad with logetec crayon (I think that's pressure sensitive). Both are great and I tend to think of tilt more for artists and pressure for general but I'm probably totally wrong here since my art ability is non existent. 

I guess I'm wondering if this is just to differentiate it from the multitude of pressure sensitive ones or is there a distinct advantage?

Steve
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 48
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    So hang on.  It’s WORSE than Apple Pencil 2 in every way?  Am I missing something?
    Yep. 

Without pressure sensitivity, it’s a total fail for anyone doing creative design work. 

Unbelievable. Perhaps it will be updated via software? If it can’t be, this thing is DOA. Who the heck approved this thing to launch with such a foundational feature missing? 
    Absolutely nobody who is using an iPad and Pencil for anything other than "creative design work" has the slightest need for pressure sensitivity. 

The roundabout 50% of students at my university who are using iPads to take notes in class mostly use Pencils, and they now have an option that does not cost 150€. 

And for those that prefer wireless charging and/or do "creative design work", the Pencil 2 is the high-end option. 

How is this confusing? 
    9secondkox2Alex1Nwatto_cobrathtbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 31 of 48

If it’s basically just a generic stylus… I don’t see the point. It sounds like a horrible product. I also have to say thank god I have a gen 2! I use the Magnetic Charging all the time-so useful and efficient. And to reduce the artistic flexibility is also just bizarre. This seems like a totally misguided cheapening of a product. if I want a cheap stylus they’re available everywhere already. 
    Truth. Funny how a couple folks got mad at you stating the facts. 

This product literally does not need to exist. 

Apple made a case for the pencil with very specific use-cases because they had to overcome Jobs saying “if you’re using a stylus, you’re doing it wrong.” And apple succeeded. The pencil earned its right to exist with its creative precision and ability. 

This… is “doing it wrong” as Jobs said. It’s just a stylus that doesn’t need to exist. Feel bad for the people who buy this without paying attention to the details that it basically can’t do any creative work other than drawing the same lines over and over. I see a lot of returns in the near future. 

This is confusing the market. Come on, Apple…
    I absolutely DEPEND on the Pencil for my work — it is literally what makes the iPad useful to me (writing music sheets). 

I also use the Pencil to take notes in class. 

The vast majority of people who own and use iPads with Pencils do NOT use them to draw stuff. 

They use them to WRITE stuff. 

(FWIW, I never use the Pencil as a UI stylus — always fingers.)
    edited October 2023 9secondkox2Alex1Nwatto_cobratht
  • Reply 32 of 48
    I find it pretty funny to see how easily people are "confused" by something that isn't the slightest bit confusing. 

For anything iPad 10 and above, the default tool is the Apple Pencil (USB-C). 

For those who need pressure sensitivity, there is the Pencil 2, which also comes with double-tap tool switching and wireless charging. 

Apple Pencil 1 is a legacy product that exists because of iPad 9 and will work with iPad 10, because the USB-C Pencil wasn't ready when the iPad 10 was released. 

That's all. 

(Yes, Apple Pencil 1 adds pressure sensitivity to the iPad 9, but if you're really into graphic arts, you didn't buy the iPad 9, anyway, because of its inferior display.) 
    9secondkox2Alex1Nwatto_cobratht
  • Reply 33 of 48
    themind said:
    Very serious question here, why offer tilt INSTEAD of pressure? is tilt cheaper? What features does it offer better than pressure?
    Pressure requires a more expensive mechanical tip. 

Tilt is an internal feature that probably comes for free if they're just reusing the Pencil 2 circuit board. 
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 48

“Removing one key feature”- writes Apple insider. 

Let’s count:
    1. No pressure sensitivity
    2. No magnetic charging 
    Seems that they removed two, not one.
    3. double-tap to change tools
    9secondkox2Alex1Nwatto_cobranetrox
  • Reply 35 of 48
    nubusnubus Posts: 386member
    mpantone said:
    nubus said:
    It also indicates that Apple is looking at cost for iPad as a platform. I wish Apple would fix the naming of iPad accessories. The "Pencil 4th gen" should be "Pencil Pro".
    I don't remember Apple using the Pro descriptor for any of its peripherals. Perhaps they did at one time but it doesn't appear to be their current marketing strategy. Probably too confusing. That implies that it would only work with the iPad Pro models.
    The current "Studio display" is linked to a Studio computer. That display works with all Macs.
    The printers from Apple were either "Personal" or "Pro". So... it is indeed possible.

The name "Pencil (USB-C)" doesn't indicate that it is less capable than "Pencil 2nd gen". To avoid confusion the advanced version could be "Pencil+".

9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 48
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    So hang on.  It’s WORSE than Apple Pencil 2 in every way?  Am I missing something?
    Yes, you’re missing that it’s only $79, compared to the $129 of the 2nd gen. You get to choose, it’s not replacing the 2nd gen.
    The 2nd gen pencil dips down to $89 on occasion, which still keeps it in the running. I'd be looking for Black Friday deals if you're making a price based decision. Of course now that the new version is out it may dip even lower, perhaps to $59 or so.

I got the AP2 when it was at the $89 price point and I'm still trying to like it, but it's still more of a novelty for me than a go-to tool. I've been trying for a very long time to find an electronic replacement for my numerous notepads, but nothing so far has felt natural enough to give the old paper & pen the boot. Writing on glass, even with a nib that has some resistance, combined with the weight and delicate nature of an iPad or tablet of any sort has always been an impediment to me making the switch. Old habits die hard.  
    Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Japhey said:
    Do none of you people remember this article from a few weeks back:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/09/30/apple-pencil-3-leak-claims-changeable-magnetic-tips-are-on-the-way

They’ll likely reintroduce pressure sensitivity via dedicated tips, so that only the people that need the function will have to pay for it. 

We’re all going to be ok. 
    That doesn't make any sense. How would the tip introduce pressure sensitivity if that functionality needs to be present in the Pencil itself, which it isn't? The tips themselves don't have any circuitry, nor is there any good reason to do it that way.

If the above rumor is true, I'd say that would be a successor to the Pencil 2 that would arrive alongside new iPad Pros next year. 
    watto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Removing pressure sensitivity is a dumb move. Sure, a lot of people do not need it. But some people may not even think about it until they *try* doing things with the Pencil that they need pressure sensitivity for, then wish they had it. It's basic functionality that adds not only tools for artists, but can be used for all sorts of other interactivity beyond painting/drawing. And, if you buy an iPad that doesn't have magnetic charging, you can only get pressure sensitivity by buying the shitty 1st gen Pencil. This smacks of a bean counter choice that degrades the product line and makes it more confusing for no reason other than to hit a price point still with a huge margin. Maybe it will make more sense once the next wave of iPads (and possibly the Pencil Pro with interchangeable tips) arrives, but as usual the timing with this rollout just muddies everything for the time being.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 48
    dewme said:
    Yes, you’re missing that it’s only $79, compared to the $129 of the 2nd gen. You get to choose, it’s not replacing the 2nd gen.
    The 2nd gen pencil dips down to $89 on occasion, which still keeps it in the running. I'd be looking for Black Friday deals if you're making a price based decision. Of course now that the new version is out it may dip even lower, perhaps to $59 or so.

I got the AP2 when it was at the $89 price point and I'm still trying to like it, but it's still more of a novelty for me than a go-to tool. I've been trying for a very long time to find an electronic replacement for my numerous notepads, but nothing so far has felt natural enough to give the old paper & pen the boot. Writing on glass, even with a nib that has some resistance, combined with the weight and delicate nature of an iPad or tablet of any sort has always been an impediment to me making the switch. Old habits die hard.  
    You could try one of the paper-like textured screen covers for iPad, like this one (which also comes with a pen-like tip): 
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 48
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    I admit, Apple’s choices on this confused me at first as well. But let’s review:

1. It’s not called third-gen. It’s called Apple Pencil USB-C.

2. (And I think this is key) It’s $50 cheaper than the Gen 2 because (FTA) Apple says it “unlocks another great option to experience the magic of digital handwriting, annotation, marking up documents, and more.” Not a WORD about drawing/sketching, which really needs pressure sensitivity.

This leads me to think that Apple is seeing a lot of people who want to use it for note-taking and markup, but it’s too pricey. So this solves that problem.

People who want the FULL Apple Pencil experience should continue to buy the Gen 2, which looks to be coming down in price.

This is just my guess, but it makes sense, AND it will let Apple quietly discontinue the Gen 1 Pencil. Now if they’d just been smart enough to rename the new one as “Apple Pencil Note” and the Gen 2 as “Apple Pencil Pro” … sigh.
    watto_cobraspheric