Jobs alludes to future discussion on Motorola

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Think Secret

Quote:

A concern about hardware speeds was expressed. Jobs first made point that clock speed does not necessarily tell the whole story, and that even Intel is emphasizing diminishing importance of clock speed as it release new portable processors that are faster at slower clock speeds. He then acknowledged that it is a problem, and that Apple is very aware of the issue. He said "there will be a time" when Apple would speak about its relationship with Motorola, and that the particular shareholder who asked the question would be invited, if he desired.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Yea, whenever steve says something like this it just makes me uneasy. I wish he would just come out and tell us whats going on. You do realize how much it would help Apple stock to know that the 970 is on the way shortly. Apple not saying anything makes me feel like they are trying to cover something up... I WISH THEY WOULD STIOP!
  • Reply 2 of 48
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

Yea, whenever steve says something like this it just makes me uneasy. I wish he would just come out and tell us whats going on. You do realize how much it would help Apple stock to know that the 970 is on the way shortly. Apple not saying anything makes me feel like they are trying to cover something up... I WISH THEY WOULD STIOP!

And have sales of the PowerMac grind to a stand still until whatever it is they are working on comes out?

I would rather Apple not say a word and their sales inch up slowly then fall down at light speeds.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Ditto.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    If apple ever plans on taking the business market, they are going to have to release a roadmap of some sort. It is very hard on businesses to know when to buy no hardware when there is not time table.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

And have sales of the PowerMac grind to a stand still until whatever it is they are working on comes out?

I would rather Apple not say a word and their sales inch up slowly then fall down at light speeds.

I agree.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

If apple ever plans on taking the business market, they are going to have to release a roadmap of some sort. It is very hard on businesses to know when to buy no hardware when there is not time table.

If Apple release a roadmap of any sort it would be suicide.

Apple is not like Intel or AMD where they lisence out their chips to different manufacturers.

Intel can have a public roadmap because these manufacturers do not do business with each other, they compete.

Apple has no competition (in-terms of Macintosh based computers) so they relay on secrecy, otherwise their sales would be dead in the water and people would wait until the latest and greatest came around, or waited until speeds were good enough to themselves.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Roadmap? I honestly don't remember too many PC companies realeasing a roadmap. It is too up in the air. They may pre-announce products, but not a distant guessing-game roadmap. I think the way they do things is fine. Does it hurt me? Hell no, I rarely own a main computer that is more than a year old anyway so speed is never an issue. For corporations? Hell no, they typically don't buy bleeding edge anyway. The power-user? Sure, but a product that is currently offered is not a great big piece of crap all-of-a-sudden. A dual 1.42 is just fine for most power-users. If a power-user can wait a few months, they are fine. If not, buy what is current. No tragic loss. No stock loss due to stagnant sales while people wait for new goodies. No harm, no smoke blown up the a$$ ala Microsoft, etc... I rather like the concept of announcing when ready/near ready.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    It would suffice to have IBM lay out a road map to their chips. That would at least spur some thought. All has to wait 'til at least they (Apple/IBM) have a computer on the table.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    WHAT SALES!?

Get this through your skulls: There are no Power Mac sales expect to pros who can't (for one reason or another) leave the Mac platform but need new computers now.

Mac cultists and pros who can wait ARE waiting for the G5/970

Platform agnostics are buying PCs

There will be no increase or decrease in sales until the PPC970.

----------------

What if the next Power Mac was called the "Power Mac 9700" in honour of the 9600 (and the 9700 6-slot G3 which was cancelled).

Barto
  • Reply 10 of 48
    I still think that when apple does decide to finally gain some market share, they are going to have to act a little bit more like a company and less like a cult. I agree that secrecy has been their best strategy in the past; however, I do not think that apple should keep it up much longer. After apple switches to IBM, they will no longer be able to keep many secrets anyway. IBM has roadmaps and often talks about future products, so Apple might as well do so also. Most people who buy Macs have at least some vague idea that the "G5" is coming soon, and most people are holding off buying new hardware. Apple does not have to let on to all their secrets, however, they should in the case of the 970 and future 970 versions. Not doing so only makes people nervous and unsure as to the future of a small company.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Ummm, well I just ordered a 1Ghz and dual 1.25Ghz at work. So there are some sales.

Justin
  • Reply 12 of 48
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

WHAT SALES!?

Get this through your skulls: There are no Power Mac sales expect to pros who can't (for one reason or another) leave the Mac platform but need new computers now.

A meaningless anecdotal datum: I was in the Apple Store in Salem, NH last week, taking a look at the 17-in PB again (now that there was one on display that I could get my hands on directly) when I overheard:

Customer: I'll take one.

Sales guy: Which one have you decided on?

Customer: I'd like one of the dual 1.25s.

And then, miracle of miracles, it appears that an actual sale of a current model Power Mac actually took place.

Of course, I'm thinking to myself: Doesn't this guy know the 970s are coming!?

Then again, mere months ago, August to be exact, I bought a dual 1.25 myself. At that time, however, indications of the 970 weren't as strong (IBMs formal announcement was still two months away), plus I figured I'd likely get a good year out of the thing before wanting to upgrade.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

WHAT SALES!?

Mac cultists and pros who can wait ARE waiting for the G5/970

Platform agnostics are buying PCs

There will be no increase or decrease in sales until the PPC970.

----------------

What if the next Power Mac was called the "Power Mac 9700" in honour of the 9600 (and the 9700 6-slot G3 which was cancelled).

Barto

Ok, First off. I love the Name PowerMac 9700. SWEET NAME. I'm impressed. That would be too cool. Second "Mac cultists and pros who can wait ARE waiting for the G5/970" That I am doing, but if PowerMac's are not up to par, I am not exactly a Platform agnostic if I have to switch to dual Xeon Setup for 3D.

I can only hope for some serious Power from Apple because I will have to leave my beloved PowerMac behind as I am forced to move foreward.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    It's common sense that you don't buy Apple stuff before big events like Macworld Expo, the WWDC, or perhaps even other events like Seybold. But AFAIK, it's common sense to the hardcore Mac junkies who frequent the message boards on rumor sites or who scour the internet for the latest goods on the G5 or the 970 or the iPod2, or Panther, or OSX/Intel...not that there's anything wrong with it of course!

To people who just want to buy a Mac (and I mean the people who've already made up their minds and said "Yes, I'm going with Apple"), they really don't care. They just want a Mac that will suit their needs and will address those needs for the foreseeable future. It's not necessarily ALL about getting the Latest and Greatest...it's just getting something that will give them the best bang for their buck. And most of them probably don't waste their time reading rumor sites.

As any computer owner should know, obsolescence is just a part of the game...I think Mac owners do and should know this most of all. Right now, I think the current line of PM's are, well...fairly good...save for the low-end single processor 1 Ghz, which SHOULD be a dual processor machine. When faster, better, cheaper machines come out--be they 970's, or G5's or Hammer/Opteron's--well, they'll come out, and then they'll be replaced, too...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if yeah, buying a new G4 right now may not be the best of decisions, with the prospect of 970-based Macs a strong possibility. But if you're languishing with an old 604, Beige or B&W G3, or even an old Sawtooth clunker like myself, I think the current crop of G4's aren't so bad a buy after all.

...besides, everyone knows you shouldn't get a Rev. A model of any new product from Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    I don't think a couple more months of patience on our part and on Apple's part will do any damage. Being impatient would probably cause problems, forcing already low PowerMac sales to rock bottom, yadda-yadda-yadda; we all know it. We've just gotta have patience. After all, in a couple years when the 970 has a firm ground in Apple's product line, we've been through a couple more OS X point releases, we've got plenty of new Apple software and totally new hardware, we're nearing the release of the 980, and perhaps quad machines are around the corner, we won't be looking back on spring '03 saying "I wish they would have announced the 970 sooner!" We all know it's coming anyway. Consider this the calm before the storm.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Well all I can say is that the next revision of the PowerBook better have the 970, because I'm getting one of them no matter what! Top end 15.2" model. I'm hoping for 1.4Ghz 970 not a 1.2ghz G4. Oh and the light up keyboard. Gosh I'm getting excited! APPLE hurry up with my 970 PowerBook! ok sorry, I know it was off topic, but I had to do that.

Apple really should say something about the 970 before it is released, maybe they will talk about it at WWDC.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    herbivoreherbivore Posts: 132member
    It is a given that we will see a 970 based PowerMac as soon as Apple can put together enough of them to satisfy the pent up demand.

But what does Steve Jobs' statement regarding Motorola mean? Perhaps Apple might be going to an all IBM line up? Could it mean 970 chips across the board? Well, perhaps the iBook might straggle a bit with a G3. Hopefully Apple and IBM will be able to keep the G3 competitive somehow.

Hopefully, using IBM as a single supplier of chips won't cause similar problems to what Apple faced with Motorola.

Well, here's hoping for a 970 based PowerBook. Even more than the PowerMac, a PowerBook based on the 970 will storm the market. Apple must know this. Perhaps there was more meaning in the "year of the laptop" than we were lead to believe.

If the Intel/AMD are having a hard time matching the PowerPC in portable performance now, they will be sunk when Apple brings out a 970 based PowerBook.

• Reply 18 of 48
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Roadmap? I honestly don't remember too many PC companies realeasing a roadmap.

It seems that plenty of you have very short memories. Hasn't Apple had a pretty extensive roadmap leading up to an beyond the release of MacOS X?

Didn't Apple have a roadmap leading up to the introduction of PPC?

It's really short sighted to say things like "yeah, but it'll kill PowerMac sales leading up to the date...". It'll only kill PowerMac sales in a fairly small window, if the date was exactly known then it might have an effect for around a month, at the most. And that slack would be taken up immediately upon the release of new kit.

People buy machines because they *need them now*, not in a month or three months time.

The worst scenario here is that Apple has poor cashflow for a month - with $4Bn in the bank this doesn't seem like a big deal.

On the plus side announcing a roadmap would give people more confidence in the platform and the immediate future... maybe that's why they made such a big deal about a roadmap for MacOS X?
  • Reply 19 of 48
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

He said "there will be a time" when Apple would speak about its relationship with Motorola, and that the particular shareholder who asked the question would be invited, if he desired.

On subject now, what, you think, Apple would say about its relationship with Motorola?
  • Reply 20 of 48
    wwworkwwwork Posts: 140member
    The argument for releasing a roadmap assumes that there is no confidence in the future of Apple. (so they have to release a roadmap) I disagree with this. Apple is in better shape than in the past 5 years. Most would agree with this. Better products and a kick-ass operating sytem that is modular and faster to develope than Windows.

Apple competes on the strength of it's operating system, hardly ever on chipspeed. Releasing a roadmap would esentially create competition between people who have already decided to buy a powermac. Buy a mac now or buy a mac later. Apple would probably prefer that you buy now and buy later again.

Can you imagine a regular Joe about to buy the fastest Wintel box (which he probably does not really need) stopping to wait for a powermac available in 4 months?

Besides what if there is a problem? What if Apple had a roadmap that had a G5 available in late 2002? That was the plan, right? Then motorola messed it up. You can't have a chipset roadmap if you are not making the chips.