Apple's intricate Thunderbolt 4 Pro cable design revealed under CT scan

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,253member
    How was I able to buy two 5 inch flat 240 watt 40Gbps 8k video cables from APEXSUN for $7 on Amazon?

“APEXSUN (2 Pack) FPC 0.4FT USB C Cable,USB C to USB C Flexible Cable. Support Thunderbolt 4/3, USB4, 240W Charging, 8K Display, 40Gbps Data Transfer for External SSD, EGPU, Docking, MacBook, Pad, iPhone 15”

You can NOT trust what is written on Amazon product listings. It's a highly-abused marketplace, and there appears to be no easy way to report false advertising! Vendors are getting away with so many sneaky listing descriptions.

Looking at the reviews of your cable — which is a beautiful cable at first sight! — it might be able to achieve maximum performance for short periods, but reviews have claimed that the cable gets way too hot after a period of time. That's a good example of where reputable cables (say, from Apple) differ greatly. Those cables are designed to sustain performance over time, not just in short bursts.
    Alex1Ndanoxwatto_cobramacxpress
  • Reply 22 of 29
    darkvader said:
    Because Apple likes to charge highway robbery prices for cables.  They always have.

The chances that's in any way significantly different than any other Thunderbolt cable are ZERO.  It's a standard, anybody building a cable is going to use a similar design. 
    Your lack of faith… disturbs me.

If you can’t distinguish between standard specifications and implementation, maybe this is not the forum you’re looking for.
    XedAlex1Ndanoxwilliamlondonwatto_cobraradarthekatjas99h4y3s
  • Reply 23 of 29
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,323member
    How was I able to buy two 5 inch flat 240 watt 40Gbps 8k video cables from APEXSUN for $7 on Amazon?

Because lying Chinese Amazon sellers know a gullible sucker when they see one?
    danoxwatto_cobrajas99
  • Reply 24 of 29
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,323member
    Honkers said:
    I’m sure five inches seems like a lot to him. :)
    watto_cobrah4y3s
  • Reply 25 of 29
    darkvader said:
    Because Apple likes to charge highway robbery prices for cables.  They always have.

The chances that's in any way significantly different than any other Thunderbolt cable are ZERO.  It's a standard, anybody building a cable is going to use a similar design. 
    As much as I agree with you, I’ve annoying found just the basic Apple lighting cables to have much higher longevity than just about any cable I’ve found. Like everyone, I bought a bunch of cheap and often not cheap cables that have braided sheaths ect but many die in a week, month, or months. However, the Apple ones seem to last years, even when the inner wires are showing. 
    danoxwilliamlondonwatto_cobrajas99h4y3s
  • Reply 26 of 29
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Honkers said:

“APEXSUN (2 Pack) FPC 0.4FT USB C Cable,USB C to USB C Flexible Cable. Support Thunderbolt 4/3, USB4, 240W Charging, 8K Display, 40Gbps Data Transfer for External SSD, EGPU, Docking, MacBook, Pad, iPhone 15”
    Good luck with a 5 inch video cable.

https://www.tomsguide.com/features/thunderbolt-4-vs-usb4-whats-the-difference

Works perfectly for me using Blackmagic Camera App on my 15 Pro Max recording 4K 60 H265 video to an external Samsung T7 Shield SSD attached to a USB-C Hub in my pocket that’s connected to my iPhone via a 10Gbps/PD cable. The 5 inch video cable is over speced for my purposes. I’m also running a charging cable that came with the iPhone 15 Pro Max from a battery pack in my shirt pocket to the PD port on the USB-C Hub.

• Reply 27 of 29
    Apple tends to over-engineer everything. There is more computing power in an Apple USB-C power adapter than powered the first moon landing. Those who study practically any Apple laptop or desktop say they use three to four times the number of screws and bolts of any other manufacturer. The simplest dongle, or cable in this case, would be uneconomic for any other company to design and manufacture. Apple may be just a little pricey but by far the best value. 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondonjas99
  • Reply 28 of 29
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,359member
    Here's my beef with buying a cable that expensive: you'll get limited use out of it seeing Thunderbolt 5 is set to debut in 2024.  Even though it make take time for Apple to implement it, and you don't have such an Apple device now, it's almost Nov. 2023 right now.  So if you buy a super expensive TB4 cable but then upgrade to TB5 over the next year or two, your TB4 cable investment isn't a good one.  However, if you buy a TB5 cable when they become available, it would be backward compatible with your TB3/4 devices, and you could continue to use that expensive cable when you upgrade your hardware to have TB5.

Also, with regard to charging cables in general, it is possible to buy high wattage cables that also support fast USB3 and higher speeds, not just USB2.  I think most cables should be like that because (1) tech needs to move forward and (2) it's confusing to cable unmarked USB-C cables in the home and never know which support what charging rates and what data speeds.  If the cables were marked, that would help.  But we really need to stop with the slow USB2 speeds and just make all USB-C cables support USB3 and faster speeds.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,262member
    Xed said:
    darkvader said:

Someone doesn't like to read articles before posting.
    Or look at the pictures even. 
    williamlondonjas99watto_cobra