Apple promises 'scary fast' Mac announcement the night of October 30

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    It’s a shame it’s far too soon for a real M3 Mac Pro with an extreme chip.

Still, I’ve been holding off on buying an iMac for the kids. So this should end that wait.
    9secondkox2Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 53
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 156member
    Seems kinda awkward that the M3 would be announced so low-key. But just announcing M2 iMacs feels too small to justify an on-line event. So…M3 iMac, M3 MacBook Pro 13”, and Mac Mini. M3 Pro/Max/Ultra will be next year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 53
    AniMill said:
    Seems kinda awkward that the M3 would be announced so low-key. But just announcing M2 iMacs feels too small to justify an on-line event. So…M3 iMac, M3 MacBook Pro 13”, and Mac Mini. M3 Pro/Max/Ultra will be next year.
    Yeah, that’s my bet too. The wave 1 machines will get M3.  No form factor change so they’ll  make it a routine spec bump announcement. . 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 53
    It seems to me that speed is becoming less of an issue compared to storage.

Across all current Mac models, internal storage is very expensive (for that matter, RAM is too), and it's limited. You can quickly fill your HD while editing video or keeping a moderately large photo library. You cannot expand that storage either (even on a desktop Mac). More practical storage options are needed.

The other issue with storage is that APFS works great -- until it has a hiccup, and then it's a crap shoot whether or not you can recover the data.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 53
    danox said:
    tyler82 said:
    All the chronic rumor deniers eating crow right now.
    Will gladly, eat crow if Apple reintroduces a new 27 inch iMac at least someone will get to use the re-introduction of a great all-in-one Mac computer, too late for me I had to buy a Max Headroom Mac……
    You might as well enjoy it then. Here’s a suggestion from ChatGPT. Please, let us know if you liked it.

**Crow Pie**:

**Ingredients**:
    1. 2-3 cleaned and dressed crows
    2. Salt and pepper, to taste
    3. 1/2 cup chopped onions
    4. 1/2 cup chopped celery
    5. 1/4 cup chopped carrots
    6. 2 cloves garlic, minced
    7. 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
    8. 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
    9. 2 tsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
    10. 2 tsp fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried rosemary
    11. Pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
    12. 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
    13. 2 tbsp butter or oil

**Instructions**:

1. **Preparation of Crow**:
        a. Pluck the feathers from the crow and clean them thoroughly.
        b. Cut them into serving pieces.

2. **Cooking**:
        a. In a large pan or Dutch oven, heat butter or oil over medium heat.
        b. Add the crow pieces and brown on all sides.
        c. Remove the crow and set aside.
        d. In the same pan, add onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Sauté until the vegetables are soft.
        e. Add the wine (if using) and scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze.
        f. Return the crow pieces to the pan. Add the broth, thyme, and rosemary.
        g. Cover and let simmer for about 1.5 to 2 hours or until the crow meat is tender and fully cooked.

3. **Pie Assembly**:
        a. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
        b. Roll out the pie crust and place one in the bottom of a pie dish.
        c. Remove the crow pieces from the stew and place them on the pie crust.
        d. Pour the vegetable and broth mixture over the crow.
        e. Place the second pie crust on top, crimp the edges, and cut a few slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
        f. Brush the top with the beaten egg to give it a golden color when baked.

4. **Baking**:
        a. Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for about 30-40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
        b. Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving.

Enjoy your crow pie with a side of mashed potatoes or a green salad. Remember, like all wild game, ensure the crow is cooked thoroughly to avoid any potential illnesses.

😋
    williamlondoneightzeroAlex1Nbyronl
  • Reply 26 of 53
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
  • Reply 27 of 53
    It’s definitely a Mac announcement (could add iPads into it I suppose) due to the finder icon being represented in the invite animation (transitioning from apple brandmark). 

Difficult to see the title relating to just m3 base models. Last time apple referenced performamce (“hi, Speed”), we saw the pro and max chips being introduced. “Scary fast” is a bit of a statement - even with Halloween in the picture. If it’s just base m3, the title will seem like a letdown - unless it refers to an m3 iPad in addition to the macs as it would indeed be “ludicrous speed” for a tablet. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 53
    Xed said:
    The all new eyeMac.

Wonder what kind of polishing cloth apple will an accessorize that with in order to clean the fleshy bits around that eye. Thanks for the nightmares buddy. Lol
    Alex1Nbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 53
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    Xed said:
    tht said:
    This better not be a play on words vis-a-vis Halloween!
    It seems evident that the use of scary as a descriptor is in regards to Halloween.
    And possibly a deep black color option, like on the MacBook Air 15”. 

Pastels be damned, bring on a Midnight Black iMac. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 53
    AniMill said:
    Yeah, that’s my bet too. The wave 1 machines will get M3.  No form factor change so they’ll  make it a routine spec bump announcement. . 
    I could see the 13 inch MBP getting a form factor update as part of this. The M1 saw the iMac and larger MBPs get new designs. M2 brought the new MBA. So it seems like Apple is working its way through the produce line with the 13 inch MBP, Mac mini and Mac Pro still to go. My wholly uninformed opinion is we will se the 13 inch MBP and Mac Mini get new form factors with the M3 series and the Mac Pro with the M4 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 53
    carlflemingcarlfleming Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    The UK/Ireland time is incorrect as BST ends on the 29th, so the keynote is at midnight GMT/UTC here and not 1am. 
    williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 53
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,308member
    Multiple stories have said that the TSMC 3nm process that Apple is currently using is more expensive and lower volume than is typically the case for new TSMC processes. So it might make sense to introduce the M3 in lower volume members of the Mac lineup, like the MBP and iMac. 
    eightzeroAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 53
    kkeekkee Posts: 19member
    I want a refresh iPad Mini.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 53
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,323member
    Yes! So many denying the smoke that’s been swirling for a while. Here comes the fire. 

Likely multiple Macs - iMacs and MacBook pros. 

M3, here we come, baby!

Ohmigosh. Is apple actually going to launch pro and max chips also????

if so, it looks like apple is on the hunt again. Good stuff. 
    If they do it would suggest the M3 family will be single die binned to the variants instead of 2 like now. So could be more options in each model. 

I assume ultra will need to wait for yields and demand to drop. 

Wonder what other tricks Apple has up its sleeve if they can use new GPUs from the A17 pro. That would be a Mac super cycle for sure.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    blastdoor said:
    Multiple stories have said that the TSMC 3nm process that Apple is currently using is more expensive and lower volume than is typically the case for new TSMC processes. So it might make sense to introduce the M3 in lower volume members of the Mac lineup, like the MBP and iMac. 
    This is the way.
    williamlondonmattinozAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 53
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    If they go for iMac with M3, it's obviously "scary fast" since it is essentially a 30% increase from M1 but not necessarily "scary fast" like the current M2 mac studios.  

• Reply 37 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    Maybe because they will also release re4 with the announcement with crazy good graphics on m3 🤔
    That's what I thought too because they will have hardware ray-tracing.

Only thing is, it's really soon for a 15" Air refresh as it only came out 4 months ago in June.

There have been rumors about 50% RAM bumps (baseline 12GB in Air, 24GB in Pro) and M3 Max getting 12 p-cores (50% more than M2 Max).

Maybe they will announce some models for pre-order now and have them ship in December.

If they do launch M3, Vision Pro will probably launch with M3 too (similarly with 12GB RAM baseline).

The A17 didn't show as big of a jump as expected for 3nm over 5nm - 20% GPU boost. Hopefully the Mac chips can push a bit higher than this, at least in the higher-end models. 40% boost would be pretty good. M2 Max is 14TFLOPs, another 40% brings it to M1 Ultra level in a laptop and hardware RT will push it much higher for some 3D.
    fastasleepAlex1Nwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 53
    eightzero said:
    We likely agree on much, and your points are fair and accurate. However, when I said the mac is not for you, I wasn't clear. I did not intend to suggest the PC as an a
    What I was trying to write, and didn't, was for a desktop experience, maybe we are at a stage where a MacBook (yes thats a mac and my bad for being particularly bad about implying otherwise) can feed a nice desktop sized display...or maybe a iPad or even iPhone will do that. I'm reminded of my very first Mac, the PowerBook Duo 230 with a docking station. But still...the macOS (and iOS and PadOS) need help being much simpler. I think that was what I was trying to express, but didn't.

My last iMac was a mid 2009 27" version. I would still be using it, but it has developed thermal problems requiring manual control of the internal fans, making it noisy. 

Yes...this makes a lot more sense than how I saw your original post.  I'm an Expert in a store and many customers do not want both a desktop and laptop...and your idea- laptop and external monitor is a common suggestion.  In fact, when the Air, iMac, and Mini were all M1, I would tell customers, they are for the most part, the same computer in a different form factor.

Beyond that, the Air is more than enough computer for a large majority of users.  
    dewmeAlex1Neightzerowilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 53
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    eightzero said:

What I was trying to write, and didn't, was for a desktop experience, maybe we are at a stage where a MacBook (yes thats a mac and my bad for being particularly bad about implying otherwise) can feed a nice desktop sized display...or maybe a iPad or even iPhone will do that. I'm reminded of my very first Mac, the PowerBook Duo 230 with a docking station. But still...the macOS (and iOS and PadOS) need help being much simpler. I think that was what I was trying to express, but didn't.
    What on earth are you talking about? Are you somehow unaware you can use a desktop display with a MacBook or iPad, and now the iPhone with USB-C?

What do you mean they "need help being much simpler"? For whom? I don't see many people struggling to use these devices, do you?
  • Reply 40 of 53
    NYC362 said:
    eightzero said:
    We likely agree on much, and your points are fair and accurate. However, when I said the mac is not for you, I wasn't clear. I did not intend to suggest the PC as an a

My last iMac was a mid 2009 27" version. I would still be using it, but it has developed thermal problems requiring manual control of the internal fans, making it noisy. 

Yes...this makes a lot more sense than how I saw your original post.  I'm an Expert in a store and many customers do not want both a desktop and laptop...and your idea- laptop and external monitor is a common suggestion.  In fact, when the Air, iMac, and Mini were all M1, I would tell customers, they are for the most part, the same computer in a different form factor.

Beyond that, the Air is more than enough computer for a large majority of users.  
    I do t know what you’re seeing in that store, but I and everyone I work with want desktops AND laptops. Apples OS tools and services make it s piece of cake to keep systems synced. Dropbox is great too. 

I hate setting up my laptop all the time. All I want to do with it is open the lid… and then… close the lid. Just keep the desktop in one spot and travel with the notebook.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra