New 14-inch & 16-inch MacBook Pro sport M3, and come in black

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    Starting price of 14" MBP with M3 being less expensive than previous 14" MBP is interesting. That Space Black looks pretty cool too. Definitely something to think about...

I noted that they mentioned more than a few times how much better things would be for those still on Intel Macs (rub it in, why don't ya!), and in particular, how the 24" iMac M3 was offered as a replacement for either the 21.5" or 27" Intel iMacs. I wonder if that means we won't see a larger iMac any time soon.

ronnmacxpressdewmeAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 67
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    Starting price of 14" MBP with M3 being less expensive than previous 14" MBP is interesting. That Space Black looks pretty cool too. Definitely something to think about...

I noted that they mentioned more than a few times how much better things would be for those still on Intel Macs (rub it in, why don't ya!), and in particular, how the 24" iMac M3 was offered as a replacement for either the 21.5" or 27" Intel iMacs. I wonder if that means we won't see a larger iMac any time soon.

Remember it's only an M3, not a Pro/Max and this replaces the 13" MacBook Pro w/TouchBar so technically it's more expensive. Yes, it's cheaper than any other 14" MacBook Pro previously, but it's more expensive if you wanted a lower end Pro model. However, I think you're getting a much better laptop too so it's deserved. It also only has 2 Thunderbolt ports versus 3 on the more expensive models and only supports 1 Display. 
    edited October 2023 roundaboutnowAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 67
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member

Note that the M3 14” base model is now 8 GB of RAM, vs 16 GB before.

And happy to say I nailed it last week, on here / AI post-invite, with the black ;)
    entropysroundaboutnowwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 67
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Looks like the M3 iMac retains lightning powered peripherals. No USB-C. Wonder why.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 67
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Base 14 inch MBP is the replacement for the old Touch Bar 13 inch MBP. Its purpose is to create a lower headline RRP for the MBP range and I doubt Apple thinks it will sell many. 
    You would buy an M2 MBA over it with extra RAM. If you really need an MBP, you aren’t buying this machine anyway.

MBP 14 M3 8GB RAM, 512 GB storage AUD$2699
    MBA 13 M2 16GB RAM, 512 GB storage AUD$2599 (8GB RAM equivalent AUD$2299)
    MBA 15 M2 16GB RAM, 512 HB storage, AUD$2799 (8GB RAM equivalent AUD$2499)
    edited October 2023 roundaboutnowAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 67
    Wouldn't a completely matte black be more "pro", to reduce reflection?
    If Apple were to make a Vantablack computer, it would be awesome.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 67
    I was hoping for announcements for software to take advantage of all this graphics performance that aren’t on the Mac, like CAD software such as Solidworks.
    Alex1Nwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 67
    macxpress said:

Remember it's only an M3, not a Pro/Max and this replaces the 13" MacBook Pro w/TouchBar so technically it's more expensive. Yes, it's cheaper than any other 14" MacBook Pro previously, but it's more expensive if you wanted a lower end Pro model. However, I think you're getting a much better laptop too so it's deserved. It also only has 2 Thunderbolt ports versus 3 on the more expensive models and only supports 1 Display. 
    All good points!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 67
    The introduction of an M3 model of the 14 inch is odd, especially since the 15 inch MacBook Air is meant to fill that larger cheap MacBook Price point(and it's still $200 cheaper than the Pro with a larger screen than it), I guess some will really pay that much more for the Mini LED display. Otherwise introducing the M3 processor on 2 products that never even had an M2 chip I guess implies they really are trying to slow the rollout till later into next year. The M3 chip still having 8GB ram base is now even more out of date and ashamed since the M3 Pro is now at multiple of 18GB of ram.

It's nice to see the MacBook Pros received 2 upgrades this year and the legacy 13" is gone, and there is even more options than before both on the high and lower prices side, so it's certainly a nice update.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 67
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member

They will be drawing a hard line to discontinue support for all Intel Macs in the near future. The remarks about the comparative boost is both marketing to convince people to upgrade from those and also a warning the the MacOS written to use that new speed and capacity will soon be too much for Intel Macs to handle. 
    roundaboutnowAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 67
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    The black option is ok, but aren’t 90% of all Windows laptops and notebooks already black? Have been for decades. How are normal folk supposed to know that you’re using a Mac?

Easy answer. They’ll see that you’re using a laptop computer without being plugged into a wall power socket. Problem solved. 

Personally I still prefer silver with black keyboard. Maybe it’s due to PTSD from too many years of lugging ugly Dell Latitudes around while scouting for available wall sockets in airports to plug in a power supply the size of a brick. 
    StrangeDaysAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 67
    AppleZulu said:

They will be drawing a hard line to discontinue support for all Intel Macs in the near future. The remarks about the comparative boost is both marketing to convince people to upgrade from those and also a warning the the MacOS written to use that new speed and capacity will soon be too much for Intel Macs to handle. 
    Yep, that's what I'm afraid of...
    thtAlex1Nwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 67
    dewme said:
    The black option is ok, but aren’t 90% of all Windows laptops and notebooks already black? Have been for decades. How are normal folk supposed to know that you’re using a Mac?

Easy answer. They’ll see that you’re using a laptop computer without being plugged into a wall power socket. Problem solved. 

Personally I still prefer silver with black keyboard. Maybe it’s due to PTSD from too many years of lugging ugly Dell Latitudes around while scouting for available wall sockets in airports to plug in a power supply the size of a brick. 
    You mean like my Lenovo P series workstation that costs as much as an MBP? It is cheap plastic shit that is only in my possession for software reasons. But it is grey and black.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 67
    Between the 14” and 16”, difference is $1K!
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 67
    14 or 16 cores and black and 22 hours of battery life????

I am getting that thing. 

Take my money. 

One of the few product releases in recent history where I am going - hell yes, this is it! No ifs and buts, just some awesome hardware. 

It looks badass in black. I need all the cores I can get my hands on. 

Apple is finding its stride with the M class processors - this makes much more sense than releasing a low end model with M3 and having to wait for 6 months until pro and max get upgraded. Features, prices, specs, and performance now neatly line up, like they did in Intel times - or even better really. 
    edited October 2023 watto_cobraronn
  • Reply 36 of 67
    Not at the same spec they're not.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 67
    eightzero said:
    AniMill said:
    It really feels like foolish to buy a Mac Studio M2 Max/Ultra right now. An M2 Max system comes to $3800…and slower than the M3 14” MBP spec’ed above.
    my guess would be the M3 studio line shows up when they can actually get the chip supply. the "missed opportunity" likely caused by the chips not being available in quantity yet. and something had to come out first.
    Yesterday's announcement feels more like the death knell for the Studio. It always was a short-term product to cover up the lack of a Mac Pro. Now that an M3 Max can be put in a MacBook, it can be put in the Mini. The Studio should always have been Mini-sized. Only the top end Studio configurations justified the extra size and heat sinking - the lower-end Studios never did. The M3 range of Mac Minis will be coming out in a few months. They will embarrass the current Studio models, which I would expect to be quietly dropped. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobraronneightzero
  • Reply 38 of 67
    $300 when spec’d the same, which is more than the $200 difference in the M2 generation as I recall, but that’s still pretty reasonable.

The key thing here is they introduced the base M3 model which is the same processor that a MacBook Air has, It being added to the MacBook Pro doesn’t affect the price scheme from before starting at the $2000 level.
    williamlondonwatto_cobraronn
  • Reply 39 of 67
    AppleZulu said:

Yep, that's what I'm afraid of...
      My very capable 2017 27" iMac has already been locked out of future OS upgrades like Sonoma.  
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 67
    timmillea said:
    eightzero said:
    AniMill said:
    It really feels like foolish to buy a Mac Studio M2 Max/Ultra right now. An M2 Max system comes to $3800…and slower than the M3 14” MBP spec’ed above.
    my guess would be the M3 studio line shows up when they can actually get the chip supply. the "missed opportunity" likely caused by the chips not being available in quantity yet. and something had to come out first.
    Yesterday's announcement feels more like the death knell for the Studio. It always was a short-term product to cover up the lack of a Mac Pro. Now that an M3 Max can be put in a MacBook, it can be put in the Mini. The Studio should always have been Mini-sized. Only the top end Studio configurations justified the extra size and heat sinking - the lower-end Studios never did. The M3 range of Mac Minis will be coming out in a few months. They will embarrass the current Studio models, which I would expect to be quietly dropped. 
    It was never a short term product 
    keithwtmaywilliamlondonwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingammacxpressmobird