Apple to buy Tivo?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I don't think this is really a rumor yet but it does sound plausible. I think that it would be awesome if this was an Apple product. It could look somewhat like the IBox clone. After apple got there hands on the UI it would be awesome. I couldn't decide if this would be FH, DH, or GD. I decided on Future Hardware move it if you will. Article below from Business 2.0

http://www.macdailynews.com/comments.php?id=P937_0_1_0

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    isn't it true that steve hates tv and didn't want it at all intergrated with the macintosh platform.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I'd go for that. Very interesting indeed cosidering the recent redezvous compatibility with TiVo. I reall y clould see a sweet aluninum iBox under my TV that's linked to my mac, my iPod, plays my iPhotos, maybe transfers recorded video to my mac?

I would love to see this happen, it would save Apple costs associated with start ups. TiVo already has 665,000 members, that money in the bank and more cash from mac users onced it would be released.

Cool.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

isn't it true that steve hates tv and didn't want it at all intergrated with the macintosh platform.

Correct. He's actually talked publicly about this before -- something about using the computer and the digital hub being "active" and watching TV being "passive".
  • Reply 4 of 47
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    The Author was speaking hypothetially. There's no hard information about any Apple interest. We've all been through this a couple of times. Search the Digital Hub for the threads.

Apple could roll out something TIVO'ish when the time came provided the Music Service is a success.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Correct. He's actually talked publicly about this before -- something about using the computer and the digital hub being "active" and watching TV being "passive".

How does that explain TiVo rendezvous? Other then to say maybe Steve doesn't want to R&D any new devices in an area Apple doesn't currently roam. Hmm, well, TiVo does.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    This is an interesting thread. Apple employees were recently given the opportunity to get new TiVo Series2 units at a substantial discount. The offer is only valid for the month of April, and it might just be a coincidence. Still... very interesting.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

How does that explain TiVo rendezvous?

Apple didn't put Rendezvous in TiVo.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 9 of 47
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "I don't think this is really a rumor yet but it does sound plausible."

Reality check: that isn't a rumor of anything. The linked article is a piece on why Apple *should* buy TiVo, nothing more. Rumors do not become "more real" if they are repeated from site to site.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by chilleymac

It could look somewhat like the IBox clone. After apple got there hands on the UI it would be awesome.

But, but... the TiVo UI is already really really really good. I really don't see how Apple could make it much better than it is. It's already light years ahead of the competition.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    well..... it would be a brushed metal interface
  • Reply 12 of 47
    wyntirwyntir Posts: 88member
    It would make more sense if Apple bought ReplayTV. They are bankrupt, after all, and a lot better tech-wise from what I've heard.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Apple didn't put Rendezvous in TiVo.

No but it shows alliance, it shows sharing of tech and it shows that Apple is interested somehow in TiVo. Doesn't matter who put it in, it matters that it's in.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by wyntir

... They are bankrupt, after all, and a lot better tech-wise from what I've heard.

Whoa, deja vu...
  • Reply 15 of 47
    mjemje Posts: 91member
    Tivo is owned by Sony, I don't think they would sell....
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Which member am I quoting?

Never. Gonna. Happen.

• Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by MJE

Tivo is owned by Sony, I don't think they would sell....

i don't think tivo is owned by sony. philips makes a tivo as well. i have a sony tivo, but i think they're just one manufacturer of tivo units.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Tivo is not owned by Sony.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    I didn't mean that I thought that becoming a rumor made this somehow valid. I meant that this was an article or op-ed piece that put forth an interesting idea, that it was not some concocted tripe from Spymac or MOSR. I don't think I need a reality check.

I still think that it could be an awesome device. I can just imagine my parents or friends walking into my house and asking to see some pics of my kids. I open up my PB and Voila the pics pop up on the TV. Or better yet my buddy wants to see the trailer for the new X-men movie on line and voila there it is. My wife and I are throwing a party and I simply stream my tunes to my set-top box from RadioIO. It makes my geeky parts all tingly.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Apple would do better to sell or promote a TiVo-like firewire peripheral which saves MPEG2/4 video to your hard drive.

I'd buy one.