Stolen Device Protection to thwart iPhone thieves with passcodes with time delay

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Xed

great suggestions but how to do this--4 character long press ???
    PS: I recommend to not use a PIN. Use a complex passcode. You have those long-press characters on the iOS and Mac keyboards, too, which means you can make a simple 4-character passcode that has over 3 billion possible combinations by using one of those characters. It also makes it a lot more difficult for something to see what you're typing in over a regular keyboard or a number pad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 55
    XedXed Posts: 2,820member
  • Reply 23 of 55
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member
    Isn’t this solved already by using ScreenTime with a different Code and disable changing accounts?
    Sort of. Using ScreenTime restrictions, you can't even view accounts and usage, though. If you disable the restrictions to do some account management, you'll need to remember to re-enable the restrictions to restore security.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 55
    I want iOS on a TouchID device to include a feature where using a certain fingerprint will zeroize the phone. That way if a cop or criminal demands that I unlock my phone, I can just use the wrong finger, and give them the phone. They will never know.

I would set my phone up so that one finger unlocks my phone, and four other fingers zeroize my phone.

I'm not sure how to implement this on a FaceID device.

I also want my bank to give me a secondary PIN code for my bank card which still functions correctly but informs the bank to call the police.
    h4y3savayasAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Not sure how to feel about this. My phone Face ID kinked out and I can’t get it to recognize me for anything. 
  • Reply 26 of 55
    Not sure how to feel about this. My phone Face ID kinked out and I can’t get it to recognize me for anything. 
    Then fix your phone, get a new one, or don't enable this feature if and when it becomes available.
    williamlondonStrangeDayskiltedgreenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 55
    maltzmaltz Posts: 488member
    dk49 said:
    Why don't they allow to prevent switching off the device without unlocking the iPhone? If the user has esim, then the thief cannot switch off the device, and then it can easily be tracked by logging into Apple account.

At least for newer phones (I can only speak to iPhone 11 and newer)  Even if you turn the device off, it's still "on" enough to be tracked via Find My.  That can be disabled to turn the phone COMPLETELY off, but... you need the pass code.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 55
    maltz said:
    dk49 said:
    Why don't they allow to prevent switching off the device without unlocking the iPhone? If the user has esim, then the thief cannot switch off the device, and then it can easily be tracked by logging into Apple account.

At least for newer phones (I can only speak to iPhone 11 and newer)  Even if you turn the device off, it's still "on" enough to be tracked via Find My.  That can be disabled to turn the phone COMPLETELY off, but... you need the pass code.
    Intersting.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 55
    nofeer said:
    Xed

PS: I recommend to not use a PIN. Use a complex passcode. You have those long-press characters on the iOS and Mac keyboards, too, which means you can make a simple 4-character passcode that has over 3 billion possible combinations by using one of those characters. It also makes it a lot more difficult for something to see what you're typing in over a regular keyboard or a number pad.
    I have an iPhone 5 that’s currently locked out for the next few months because I forgot which pin i set for it and kept inputting the wrong one. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 55
    longfang said:
    nofeer said:
    Xed

I have an iPhone 5 that’s currently locked out for the next few months because I forgot which pin i set for it and kept inputting the wrong one. 
    It sounds like you’re suggesting that no one should use decent security because you forget something. My suggestion  is to use a robust password manager to store personal data so losing it is far less likely.
    edited December 2023 h4y3sAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 55
    longfang said:
    nofeer said:
    Xed

An iPhone 5? Oh my
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 55

Isn’t this solved already by using ScreenTime with a different Code and disable changing accounts?

I'm not familiar with using ScreenTime's security features. Does it allow you to set a _different_ passcode from your device passcode? Is that to what you are referring?

I think this Stolen Device Protection is another good step forward, as it considers location proximity into the equation. Our Smartphones are getting smarter.
    Yes, you can set a separate a different four digit passcode. And  you can choose to need your full AppleID and password to reset it in case you forgot it. So this sounds like an additional layer of safety - unless I am missing sonething here. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 55
    I'm a big fan of the changes and will definitely be enabling them. If there were options to make it stricter and increase the timeframe, I would use them.

As someone who lives in a country with higher rates of crime, the amount of access your device passcode gives has been a concern for me. It's becoming more frequent for people to be forced to hand over their device passcode when being mugged. This is one of the main reasons I use 1Password rather than iCloud Keychain - 1Password falls back to a password if Face ID fails, rather than the device passcode. 
    avayaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 55
    zeus423 said:
    longfang said:
    nofeer said:
    Xed

An iPhone 5? Oh my
    It was just being used as a remote camera to monitor the home while i was out, so not that big of an issue losing access to it. Just pointing out that the current delay seems to grow exponentially. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 55
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,672member
    This sounds like a reasonable and well thought out step in the right direction. Using location information and a time delay seems like a smart idea. I imagine some users like me may want the option of extending the time window and narrowing the geolocation to a smaller zone.

This is starting to lean towards a two key system analogous to what it takes for military personal to enable the launching of certain weapons. You know, the classic movie scene where two people have to turn keys simultaneously to proceed with the launch, which is a real thing by the way. I suppose Apple could provide an option of a user designating another device as the second key. For example, you’d have to have your iPhone and Mac in close physical proximity or your iPhone and network router on the same LAN with a physical key or button on the router (assuming Apple made a router) to allow the blocked function to proceed. 

Like any security lock or feature it comes down to balancing security versus convenience. What Apple has done seems like a reasonable balance. But there a still folks out there who really want something akin to attaching the gas station bathroom key to a hubcap just to make things are little more difficult to bypass. 
    h4y3sAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Apple makes this "SOUND" great.  I'm not sure how helpful a 1 hour window is to prevent Apple IDs from being reset.

If Apple cared about thieves taking over Apple IDs, they would require questions to be answered, along the line of first pet, mothers name.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 55
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,272member
    This will help with the worldwide stolen iPhone Three Body Problem, and seeing your missing iPhone in the middle of China two days later.
    edited December 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 55
    BirderGuy said:
    I’m not sure why this is necessary if you have two factor authentication set up.  Even if they get into the phone they would need the code sent to a trusted device.  No?  

What if the iPhone IS the trusted device? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 55
    adbeadbe Posts: 29member
    nofeer said:
    I have 2FA also recent security articles say to use screen time passcode to prevent this

doesnt screen time passcode work
    or do we need more ?? 

Screen time password does not work. You only need the main passcode to disable it. At best it slows down the process by a few seconds.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 55
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,083member
    mrluis63 said:
    Big question for Apple 🍎 how much ? This is going to cost the American people. I know is not going to be free. Or is it?????????
    Please troll somewhere else. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra