iPod Color Screen to display lyrics

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What if the new ipod has a colored screen that in conjunction with the new music service downloaded the songs with a couple of jpeg's containing lyrics?

It would be a good idea for many because alot of songs are hard to understand.

¿Opinions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nx7oe

What if the new ipod has a colored screen that in conjunction with the new music service downloaded the songs with a couple of jpeg's containing lyrics?

It would be a good idea for many because alot of songs are hard to understand.

¿Opinions?

Wow, it'd have to be 2-3 per screen shot and they'd have to be set to a .5 sec slide show setting. Either that or the song would pause until the next jpg was displayed. The iPod is pretty small and the sceen is even smaller. Imagine closed captions on a beeper.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    It's not a bad idea, but I would rather apple just have the lyrics on their music site. Did this really need its own thread?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

It's not a bad idea, but I would rather apple just have the lyrics on their music site. Did this really need its own thread?

How about each line of the lyric displayed with a little bouncy ball hitting each word...

It's far less silly a thread than, well, almost all the others, so why not? We could add that Apple were buying Boeing and a '**confirmed**' if that would help.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Wow, it'd have to be 2-3 per screen shot and they'd have to be set to a .5 sec slide show setting. Either that or the song would pause until the next jpg was displayed. The iPod is pretty small and the sceen is even smaller. Imagine closed captions on a beeper.

I hope you're joking.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    It wouldn't be jpg. It would be plain text. But scrolling lyrics would be KEWL. Great idea.

Barto
  • Reply 6 of 17
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i dont think it would work well because of how small the screen is, but i always thought it would be cool if apple could do this and get it to work with itunes, there would be another button beside the visual button taht would scroll they lyrics down the screen (apple would have to make it look cool)
  • Reply 7 of 17
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

It wouldn't be jpg. It would be plain text. But scrolling lyrics would be KEWL. Great idea.

I'm curious how that would work with some classical vocal works, since it is fairly common for different lines of text to be sung at the same time? Probably no bouncing ball in that instance.

And imagine all the MB's eaten up with the libretto to Wagner's "Ring" cycle.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    man, that would be so great for iPod karaoke!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

I'm curious how that would work with some classical vocal works, since it is fairly common for different lines of text to be sung at the same time? Probably no bouncing ball in that instance.

And imagine all the MB's eaten up with the libretto to Wagner's "Ring" cycle.

Eh, I think you are overestimating the number of bytes it takes to store lyrics.

As well, I could see the iPod scrolling several lines of independent lyrics at different tempos.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I could see no such thing.

Besides there is a lot of lyric that hasn´t been...errr....digitalized. 90% of the music I listen to isn´t in any of the lyric databases on the net. Apple would not give us things that doesn´t work more than 50% of the time.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Why's this in hardware? This could be achieved in software. With today's iPods, too. No need for a colour screen for LYRICS... *sigh*
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Seems a bit odd that Apple et al would bust themselves with a color screen so they could incorporate lyrics into the functions of the ipod
  • Reply 13 of 17
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

I could see no such thing.

Besides there is a lot of lyric that hasn´t been...errr....digitalized. 90% of the music I listen to isn´t in any of the lyric databases on the net. Apple would not give us things that doesn´t work more than 50% of the time.

well i think if they got the popular songs then it would work more then 50% of the time. just not 50% of the time for you!

the majority of peopel listen to pop, which is what they should focus their attention on

i dont listen to much pop but the peopel taht do who have iPods (which i assume the majority of peopel who buy iPods listen to pop) would benefit
  • Reply 14 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Color or not, I think the feature should be added. Also, in terms of reading, screens are available that are better than the current iPod. The current screen is not good for fast movement like a 'ticker' at the bottom would be, but a better screen could easily do it.

I was just reading in Wired about a watch that's going to have a screen with the full Palm resolution. Not a Palm sized watch, but a watch sized watch. Maybe a big watch, but probably smaller than the current iPod screen.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    zedzed Posts: 7member
    Sorry, but I wouldn't go for that feature. Maybve a vizualizer tho.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Aargh! I hate how all these topics about people's silly little opinions on what apple should make or do are always phrased as a factual newspaper headlines. How hard is it to add a Could... or a what if.... or just a simple question mark!?! Goodness! Of course this entire forum has gone to hell in a handbasket, so who really cares anymore, really?

[/rant]
  • Reply 17 of 17
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    but, but, what about explicit lyrics?

although, it might help settle some bets about misheard lyrics

such as these gems