German Beers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What are your favorite German (or german-like) beers? I'm looking for some good beers to try and I tend to like German-Tasting ones the best.

Some of my favs:

- DeGroen's!!! made in Baltimore. The best Pilsner on earth.

- Becks

- Stella

I'm having a St. Pauli Girl right now for the first time. OK. It's pretty mellow. Still prefer those crisp Pilsners, but mellow has a time and place.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I honestly can't think of any German import that I really like. To me their brews usually taste watered down or have no flavor in general. I do enjoy the local microbrew malty German-style bocks though. In general I like hoppy ales the best...the more bitter the better.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I prefer the belgium beers.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    German beers are made according to stringent 'purity laws'; French and British-brewed and Australian and Scandinavian beers aren't. German beer has no sweeteners or preservatives (they put sulphur into beer and all sorts of noxious chemicals apparently) and I'm convinced that it doesn't give you the same kind of hangover. I suspect that Belgian beer, which is the best in the world by a very, very long distance, has similar purity laws. (You've never lived until you've drunk double-strength blackberry-infused beer brewed by Belgian trappist monks.)

Interesting fact: beer brewed in the former German colonies is made according to German purity laws. Well, 'Windhoek', brewed in Namibia is, which is why if you find yourself in Southern Africa you should drink that rather than South African 'Castle' lager which is urine.

Interesting fact: the only place outside of Ireland where they brew Guinness is in Nigeria. They love Guinness in Nigeria.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Oh, Becks is nice. Stella's nice.

Proper Czech Budvar is a good pilsner (it is a Pilsner, right?)

I'm not much of a beer man, though, I must admit.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

- Stella

Ugh

Stella is a BELGIAN beer!

Talk about treading on Kopf's ego.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    "Interesting fact: the only place outside of Ireland where they brew Guinness is in Nigeria."

Wrong! What about Park Royal in London, a rather large Guinness brewery that I've done work in. Oh and we like Guinness in London too.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

German beers are made according to stringent 'purity laws'; French and British-brewed and Australian and Scandinavian beers aren't. German beer has no sweeteners or preservatives (they put sulphur into beer and all sorts of noxious chemicals apparently) and I'm convinced that it doesn't give you the same kind of hangover. I suspect that Belgian beer, which is the best in the world by a very, very long distance, has similar purity laws. (You've never lived until you've drunk double-strength blackberry-infused beer brewed by Belgian trappist monks.)

Interesting fact: beer brewed in the former German colonies is made according to German purity laws. Well, 'Windhoek', brewed in Namibia is, which is why if you find yourself in Southern Africa you should drink that rather than South African 'Castle' lager which is urine.

Interesting fact: the only place outside of Ireland where they brew Guinness is in Nigeria. They love Guinness in Nigeria.

Somehow I doubt these 'purity laws' really mean anything. Buzzword compliance almost...

I've tried Hoegaarden (sp?) for example ... because everybody said it was awesome...didn't really like it much. I'm not really fond of fruity beers, which most German, Belgian and Dutch labels seem to be. The Germans also seem to be obsessed with wheat beers, which make me gag.

Guinness...ech. I don't like nitro beers either. And in general, I prefer porters to stouts...imperial Russian stouts being the exception.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

"Interesting fact: the only place outside of Ireland where they brew Guinness is in Nigeria."

Wrong! What about Park Royal in London, a rather large Guinness brewery that I've done work in. Oh and we like Guinness in London too.

Oops. Make that 'outside Europe.'
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Guinness...ech. I don't like nitro beers either. And in general, I prefer porters to stouts...imperial Russian stouts being the exception.

No, no no! Guinness is no 'nitro beer'! It's an institution. It's a very different animal when you drink it draft, but apparently it doesn't travel well.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

No, no no! Guinness is no 'nitro beer'! It's an institution. It's a very different animal when you drink it draft, but apparently it doesn't travel well.

It travels bloody horribly....I used to drink Guiness in Dublin, back in the 80's...it was deep & oakenly dark....But I never got that used to it....They sell it here in Oz & it gets put brought over in vats to be mixed with the local water & other Sh...t..additives.... God.... whatever..but no matter what.....it always tastes like " metallic & tanked " sh...t.

The spirits people have no shame either....putting their stuff like Jacks & Gordon's gin into concentrates to be watered down..those two also taste like they've come out of a metal tank....Yuk.

Getting back to Guinees....

if you ever go down to Cork you'd be putting your life in danger asking for a Guiness..down they're they consider it almost treasonable to drink anything but Murphy's...I drank copius amounts of that stuff & really liked it..It was more mellow on the tongue & slightly sweeter too....Now that's a real nice drop as they say....
  • Reply 11 of 16
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Proper Czech Budvar is a good pilsner (it is a Pilsner, right?)

I think it's a lager.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Somehow I doubt these 'purity laws' really mean anything. Buzzword compliance almost...

I've tried Hoegaarden (sp?) for example ... because everybody said it was awesome...didn't really like it much.

The purity laws state that only water, yeast, barley and hops can be used. Hoegaarden wouldn't be an example, since it also contains wheat, coriander and orange peel. Apparently the purity laws are not in effect anymore either, except as the policy of individual breweries.

By the way, what's wrong with nitro beer? I really haven't tried much in the way of beer, so I'm not very good at distinguishing flavours yet.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Fork

Apparently the purity laws are not in effect anymore either, except as the policy of individual breweries.

Most german breweries still brew according to this law from 1516. I think most germans (at least the older ones) wouldn't touch a beer with "artificial" ingredients. Germany has many local or regional breweries. BTW, I'm just drinking a "Dinkelacker Märzen". Other beers I like, are "Das Schwarze" and "Das Echte" von Schwabenbräu or a Jever Pilsener.

• Reply 14 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    optimator (sp?)

great double bach.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Ugh

Stella is a BELGIAN beer!

Talk about treading on Kopf's ego.

Well, DeGroen's is American. I'm more referring to the continental style than specifically German, but I think that would confuse people. I simply hate UK beers.

I saw Budvar for sale. I think it's lager. . . I know it's the original Budweiser.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    My mother is originally from Germany and I have visited the country fairly often. I really, really, really, like the beer when I am there.

Unfortunately, I have never yet tasted a beer from Germany while in Canada or the U.S. that tastes nearly as good as German beers do in Germany. Perhaps German beer does not travel well. Perhaps you really have to drink it draft (I have not seen a German beer on tap in Canada or the US.). Perhaps they don't export their good stuff.

In the end, I don't know the reason why, but the result is that I cannot recommend any of the German beers available here.