Apple insists to EU antitrust regulators that it runs five App Stores, not one

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    rob53 said:
    Apple is correct in stating there are five stores because the software available in each store only works on a specific platform. This is like saying a company that owns a pharmacy, sporting goods store, hardware store, grocery store and electronics store is required to call all of them one store, maybe called PSHGE, instead of five different stores carrying different products. There are many companies that have multiple store fronts with different names that keep their stores separate. (don't ask me specifics, because I don't care to research this but take a company like Whirlpool, who makes all kinds of brands of household products, each having a store under the brand's name) 

As for anything the EU does, it's time they quit trying to run another country's product line. I'm sorry but anything related to current computers and operating systems rarely is created in EU countries anymore. Sure, you can find a few high tech companies in the EU but not as many as before and nowhere near as many as in the USA.
    The “different” stores are just a filter depending on the device.

By that logic, Amazon.com, and the Amazon app are separate stores too because they don’t have the same products available to buy.

Logically that makes no sense, but that’s the argument Apple is trying to make here.

if anything the App Store is a single store, but with different departments for each device type… some products may be stocked in two places, some may be exclusive to one.

On the backend developers have a single portal and whether an app is shown on a certain device is a simple checkbox… especially in the case of macOS because it can natively run iOS / iPadOS apps.
    edited January 9 elijahgmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 43

caskey said:  The more correct analogy would be to say they were like a GameStop. They sell games for X Box PlayStation and Nintendo…different platforms, but it’s still one marketplace.
    It's not like GameStop. The Mac App Store only sells Mac versions of games. The iPhone App Store only sells iPhone versions of games. Etc. 

And if you buy a Mac, Apple doesn't give you an iPhone/iPad/ATV/Watch along with it. You buy all those things separately. 
    Then why can I buy a game on iOS and get the same game on macOS for no extra charge?

The Mac App Store absolutely sells you iOS apps, it’s just up to the developer if they don’t want to.
    elijahg
  • Reply 23 of 43
    ctt_zh said:
    rob53 said:

As for anything the EU does, it's time they quit trying to run another country's product line. I'm sorry but anything related to current computers and operating systems rarely is created in EU countries anymore. Sure, you can find a few high tech companies in the EU but not as many as before and nowhere near as many as in the USA.
    It's not where a product is created that is important here, it's simply whether or not a product is sold in the EU that matters to the EU regulators. Doesn't matter if the product is created in America, Japan, China, Vietnam, the EU, wherever... the number of high tech companies in Europe compared to America is completely irrelevant.
    It does matter where the product is created though. Why should someone literally on the other side of the planet have any say about what I do? They are trying to force their views upon us. Look, I think it’s fine that they want things a certain way. I’m cool with that, but they aren’t doing that. They are forcing a company that isn’t in their area of control to do something that they shouldn’t have to deal with. They should have done this 20 years ago if it meant that much to them. Same with the whole usb-c thing. “Trying to save landfills from e-waste.” Created a decades worth of e-waste from literally every country all around the planet. Good job at stopping waste, because usb-c will totally be around in a decade and it’s going to take that long to stop the lightning cables from being around. It’s stupid. You want to stop waste? This is where you stop it. Stopping the EU from doing stupid stuff. They got away with the ridiculous waste of usb-c, now you want them to run app stores? There will be many more power hungry server farms now. So, more e-waste, more power hungry server farms that use coal for power. Good job EU!
    The EU has a say because Apple sells their products there.  Governments have the power to regulate stuff being sold in their borders.

if Apple doesn’t want to comply, they’re absolutely free to stop selling all products in the EU and there’s nothing they’d be able to do about it then.

On the flip side, do you also think the U.S. shouldn’t be able to regulate products from other countries that are being sold in the U.S.?

I mean, the counterfeit AirPods are fine in China, so why is the U.S. interfering with the sale of them?
    nubuselijahgmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 43
    If the EU persists in this, Apple could separate its App Store into two different App Stores:
    * one in the EU where only EU developers could upload code, and
    * one for the rest of the world where the rest of the world could sell there software.
    Nobody from the EU could sell apps in the worldwide store, and nobody from outside the EU could sell apps in the EU store.
    They could, but they won’t… are you aware of just how many apps are developed by EU developers? It’s an international marketplace, and isolating them like that would hurt everyone
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 43
    nubusnubus Posts: 562member
    If the EU persists in this, Apple could separate its App Store into two different App Stores:
    * one for the rest of the world where the rest of the world could sell there software.
    Nobody from the EU could sell apps in the worldwide store, and nobody from outside the EU could sell apps in the EU store.
    Apple wouldn't be able to earn 30% on apps from EU developers and Apple would block Google, MS, Facebook etc. from the iPhone in 27 countries and make iPhone less interesting to EU customers due to reduced number of apps. How would Apple benefit from any of that?
    Respitemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 43
    nubus said: We had the exact same problem when Apple in November told EU it had 3 different browsers all called Safari. https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/11/03/apple-told-eu-regulators-it-has-three-browsers-all-called-safari - that was pretty ugly, and here we go again. With Apple Arcade being "available across devices" and Apple telling how similar things are - and how apps now can be binary compatible across most platforms.
    Apple Arcade still requires unique versions of the app for each OS and type of hardware that it runs on. I play NBA2K all the time on Apple Arcade and that game is definitely not identical on each platform. I think Apple does have a valid point with this. 

Think about AAA games that are available on Windows, Playstation, Xbox and Switch. 
    And game consoles require different versions for each console too… but that doesn’t mean a single location selling games for all platforms is a different store for each one.

An Apple developer has the option of making a universal binary compatible with all Apple platforms, but a lot choose to release them as separate apps limited to each platform for whatever reason.

Theres one App Store management portal for developers, and developers get paid from one legal entity for the App Store.  App Store can share universal binaries, or developers can choose to restrict them to certain platforms.
    gatorguyelijahg
  • Reply 27 of 43
    RespiteRespite Posts: 111member
    nubus said:
    Apple wouldn't be able to earn 30% on apps from EU developers and Apple would block Google, MS, Facebook etc. from the iPhone in 27 countries and make iPhone less interesting to EU customers due to reduced number of apps. How would Apple benefit from any of that?
    A chump on the internet gets his petty feeling of superiority.  That's what they get.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    You can buy iOS (iPadOS) apps in the iOS store that can be also used on Apple Silicon Macs.
    But in the end it does not matter – the relevant App Store is the iOS store and I guess this would be what EU is after.
    edited January 9
  • Reply 29 of 43
    xyzzy-xxx said:
    You can buy iOS (iPadOS) apps in the iOS store that can be also used on Apple Silicon Macs.
    But in the end it does not matter – the relevant App Store is the iOS store and I guess this would be what EU is after.
    The relevant store is the “App Store”.  There’s just as much issue in iPad and Apple TV as there is on iOS… you could maybe even argue there’s more of an issue in Apple TV because there’s no web browser for people to sign up for services with, or for apps to direct them to.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,643member
    badmonk said:
    I hope the EU is ready to track down all these little app stores for appropriate taxation.  They may regret their decisions in this regard.
    What makes you think the EU has the slightest problem with Apple filing five separate lines of an Excel sheet vs. filing just one? 
  • Reply 31 of 43
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,643member

Respite said:
    Hell, Apple gift cards work across all their stores, it's very clear that they're a network.  
    Their gift cards also work for buying a computer, a phone, or an Apple Watch band, or paying for a battery replacement or iPad display replacement. 

It's very clear that these things are all kinda linked. "Network" not so much as "same company". 
  • Reply 32 of 43

caskey said:  The more correct analogy would be to say they were like a GameStop. They sell games for X Box PlayStation and Nintendo…different platforms, but it’s still one marketplace.
    It's not like GameStop. The Mac App Store only sells Mac versions of games. The iPhone App Store only sells iPhone versions of games. Etc. 

And if you buy a Mac, Apple doesn't give you an iPhone/iPad/ATV/Watch along with it. You buy all those things separately. 
    Then why can I buy a game on iOS and get the same game on macOS for no extra charge?

The Mac App Store absolutely sells you iOS apps, it’s just up to the developer if they don’t want to.
    What difference does that make? You bought the iOS version on iOS. You're not buying the Mac version on your iPhone and vice versa. If I bought an Xbox Series X game that gave me access to a free download of the same game on Steam for Windows PC that doesn't really mean that Microsoft Store/Steam are the same thing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 43

dantheman827 said: An Apple developer has the option of making a universal binary compatible with all Apple platforms, but a lot choose to release them as separate apps limited to each platform for whatever reason.
    "Whatever reason" = maximizing revenue. The vast majority of apps don't work like that AND you don't have access to any version of the app in any store.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 43

gatorguy said: The difference? Most of the Walmart store products, outside of the first-party ones, can be purchased at another big store, either virtual or physical, ones such as Target or Amazon.
    The difference is that Apple created the hardware and the operating system that the apps run on, not just the store that they're sold in. So there is direct 1st party involvement in all of the 3rd party apps being sold.  Apple's improvement of both hardware and OS functionality and performance directly benefits the 3rd parties. Walmart is a middleman. Apple is not. If Apple was satisfied with just selling Macs and macOS then that's all that 3rd parties could develop for. Adding iPhones and iPads and Apple Watch and Apple TV and now Vision Pro is entirely Apple's doing. 
    edited January 9 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 43

What difference does that make? You bought the iOS version on iOS. You're not buying the Mac version on your iPhone and vice versa. If I bought an Xbox Series X game that gave me access to a free download of the same game on Steam for Windows PC that doesn't really mean that Microsoft Store/Steam are the same thing. 
    Xbox and Steam are entirely different stores run by different companies, but the Windows Store and Xbox store can to an extent be considered the same store.

They don’t offer all of the same content, but the billing is unified, and many games are available as a single purchase for both Xbox and Windows via means of the single store.

The same is true for Steam… you buy something once, and you can download all compatible versions on any of the supported platforms, but that doesn’t mean Valve is operating three separate stores… just because a developer doesn’t offer a compatible version (or in the case of the App Store, tick a box) doesn’t mean it isn’t the same store.
    edited January 9 elijahg
  • Reply 36 of 43
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,814member

... that doesn't really mean that Microsoft Store/Steam are the same thing. 
    Because they are not. They are separate entities by separate companies. You (and Apple) are not going to win this argument. When you buy a Watch band at Apple Retail, you're buying from a different store than when you buy a Mac at Apple Retail? Of course not.
    edited January 9
  • Reply 37 of 43
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,481member
    If Apple had not always held this opinion of the separate app stores, the EU would probably be right to overrule them.

But because they have indeed set up five separate App Stores, with VERY different requirements (from a developer perspective) for products, the EU should properly rule as they did with the OSes — they are five distinct OSes, even if they are all extrapolated from UNIX.

I am old enough to remember back when TRS-80s could run NEWDOS, which was a wholly different OS than TRSDOS, but fundamentally they did the same thing: control the computer and run apps. They were even written in the same language.

This is the same idea again, and I think the EU should rule in Apple’s favour.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 43
    nubus said:
    So you think it's better for Apple to do anything that the EU ever demands?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 43
    chasm said:
    If Apple had not always held this opinion of the separate app stores, the EU would probably be right to overrule them.

But because they have indeed set up five separate App Stores, with VERY different requirements (from a developer perspective) for products, the EU should properly rule as they did with the OSes — they are five distinct OSes, even if they are all extrapolated from UNIX.

I am old enough to remember back when TRS-80s could run NEWDOS, which was a wholly different OS than TRSDOS, but fundamentally they did the same thing: control the computer and run apps. They were even written in the same language.

This is the same idea again, and I think the EU should rule in Apple’s favour.
    Open the app store, on any Apple device, and open an app, there is a section that shows which Apple devices support the particular app. Seems that it's just one app store on multiple platforms.

Apple has always maintained them as a single App store( same logo, name etc.) that isn't the case for their various operating systems, each of them has a unique name and is marketed differently.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 40 of 43
    nubus said:
    So you think it's better for Apple to do anything that the EU ever demands?
    All of the new regulations are made for the benefit of customers, not any company.

One other fact is, this law is to be enforced upon all companies, why is it Apple is making the biggest stink? Maybe they have gotten too used to the American government ignoring them, or the American people being fanboys, that they find anything else extraordinary.
    muthuk_vanalingam