Apple Vision Pro hands-on roundup: Weighty with a clunky virtual keyboard, but great overa...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Key takeaway:

”difficult to imagine using it for actual work.”

so… niche toy like we’ve been saying since the reveal. 

Moving on then…
    Of course people said the same thing about the iPad. Insisting it was for consumption not productivity. 

A writer saying it isn’t good for work isn’t looking past their own use case. That’s a lack of imagination not a lack of use cases. 

Speaking of lacking imagination, your trolling is really kind of sub par. Please step it up. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 29
    SHKSHK Posts: 25member
    "Towards the end of the demo, the weight of the headset began to be felt, with Song feeling the "beginnings of a mild headache," though the tension dissipated after taking it off."

Ouch.
    grandact73williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 29
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,760member
    It's kind of hilarious that so many people have trouble understanding the AVP as a replacement for computer monitors and television screens. That's the primary purpose. Two postage stamp sized micro LED screens can replace space hogging multiple monitor set-ups and tyrannosaurus sized TVs. Just think of how much e-waste that gets rid of down the line in the future...
    Just get a small hi res monitor screen and sit closer to it. Why does it need to be mounted on your head?
    In my typical workday, I can have up to 20 windows open (real applications, not browser tabs). Unless I was using a 200+" display (subdivide that into separate displays how you like), it's impossible to cram those onto the screen. I use virtual desktops/spaces to organize those into separate workflows, but the infinite screen real estate and organization ability afforded by the Vision Pro seems like a far better solution.
    edited January 17 thtwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 29
    I wonder if there are also operating aids for people with restricted mobility. I would be very interested in that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 29
    thttht Posts: 5,636member
    auxio said:
    It's kind of hilarious that so many people have trouble understanding the AVP as a replacement for computer monitors and television screens. That's the primary purpose. Two postage stamp sized micro LED screens can replace space hogging multiple monitor set-ups and tyrannosaurus sized TVs. Just think of how much e-waste that gets rid of down the line in the future...
    Just get a small hi res monitor screen and sit closer to it. Why does it need to be mounted on your head?
    In my typical workday, I can have up to 20 windows open (real applications, not browser tabs). Unless I was using a 200+" display (subdivide that into separate displays how you like), it's impossible to cram those onto the screen. I use virtual desktops/spaces to organize those into separate workflows, but the infinite screen real estate and organization ability afforded by the Vision Pro seems like a far better solution.
    Same.

I often run into the situation where Preview.app starts putting newly opened files in tabs rather separate windows, because I have too many PDFs and images open. Have to figure out how to turn that off. The VP's focal distance is 30 to 40 inches. A bit too far away for my taste. Somewhen into the future, variable focus lens (be pancake lens' of metamaterial lens') will be available and it will allow the displays in the VP to use even more of the Z-distance.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 29
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,465member
    entropys said:
    I remember people complaining about on screen keyboards vs physical ones when the iPhone came out. And the iPad.
    I expect that a virtual keyboard is no different. Has a learning curve.

I think it is a stretch to call movies a “killer app”. It costs more than a large screen OLED TV. Maybe Dune.

No, I think we haven’t seen the killer app yet. 
    Have "killer apps" ever emerged in under 12 months of the device being in people's (developers) hands?

Apple ][ 1977 VisiCalc 1979
    Mac 1984 Quark 1987
    iPhone has had a couple of drivers but not in the first year of even 
    iPad don't take off till the drawing app 12 months in. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 29
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,338member
    mattinoz said:
    entropys said:
    I remember people complaining about on screen keyboards vs physical ones when the iPhone came out. And the iPad.

I think it is a stretch to call movies a “killer app”. It costs more than a large screen OLED TV. Maybe Dune.

Have "killer apps" ever emerged in under 12 months of the device being in people's (developers) hands?

Mac 1984 Quark 1987

The small and medium sized companies will carry the load like they did for the iPhone, iPad, and Apple Silicon Macs no surprise. The killer app is the ecosystem OS and the M2 Mac hardware if a developer wants their software to work it can E*Trade, Notability, Affinity's trio of software Publisher, Photo, Designer. the Element, Molecules, Cat in the Hat, were iPad programs that worked on the Mac straight away, one that didn't? Netflix their choice do not be surprise that most of the programs I listed work on the Apple Vision along with many others in short those developers who care will be ahead of those who don't give a Sh--.

Also note the iPad app for Netflix is a far superior user experience when compared to their online website.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 29
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,465member
    danox said:
    mattinoz said:
    entropys said:

Mac 1984 Quark 1987

The small and medium sized companies will carry the load like they did for the iPhone, iPad, and Apple Silicon Macs no surprise. The killer app is the ecosystem OS and the M2 Mac hardware if a developer wants their software to work it can E*Trade, Notability, Affinity's trio of software Publisher, Photo, Designer. the Element, Molecules, Cat in the Hat, were iPad programs that worked on the Mac straight away, one that didn't? Netflix their choice do not be surprise that most of the programs I listed work on the Apple Vision along with many others in short those developers who care will be ahead of those who don't give a Sh--.

Also note the iPad app for Netflix is a far superior user experience when compared to their online website.
    Which is a good thing. It creates room for disruption if existing players think they can rest on what they have offered previously. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 29
    A device with huge potential. Sounds like Apple has improved on a lot on other devices. The potential applications for this are enormous. Preferable positive ones, like enabling people to go places they would otherwise not be able to. To walk through a property they want to buy without going there. The list goes on. Although, I strongly suspect there will be people that will find other an inappropriate uses for it but lets focus on the positive for now.

What also might be uncomfortable for one may not for another but this is the first iteration. 
    watto_cobra