Public opinion of Apple Vision Pro is all over the place, with some calling it a glorified...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    Xed said:
    Even Christianity had Mary Magdalene. :wink: 
    I remember. So hot, even for someone from Magdala.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 35
    In slightly over a week it will be in the hands of US customers and almost everyone in the US will be able to form their own opinions of it.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    It’s a product that wasn’t ready to leave the lab. Needed a couple years to distill into a pair of sunglasses. Only then should it have launched. 

Sad to see Apple rush this. What could have been revolutionary is just a better headset. This hurts future iterations more than helps. 

But even when Apple is ready with the one form factor they should have approved, it will still be more of an Apple Watch type companion device. Marketed like that, it will do great. But trying to push it as a takeover is just not something people want. 

What an insane fucking comment that spits in the face of the most fundamental facts, and technology. 

Apple didn't "rush" this. It's been in dev for at least 7 years, and people have been whining for YEARS about Apple not having a VR/AR device. There is absolutely nothing rushed about this. It's clear that it went through an insane amount of development. From the design, to the tech, to the OS, to the tracking. 

And in what universe could this become a "pair of sunglasses" in a "couple years"? What? That's a psychotic comment. We won't have anything approaching that in 2, 5, nor probably 10 years. And how exactly would sunglasses accomplish what this device does? You need a light seal, as well as a fuckload of cameras and sensors to accomplish the experience they're looking for. I'm not sure what planet you live on where this is a "rushed" product that could have been sunglasses, had they taken another couple yrs. 

thtRespite
  • Reply 24 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    slurpy said:
    It’s a product that wasn’t ready to leave the lab. Needed a couple years to distill into a pair of sunglasses. Only then should it have launched. 

Sad to see Apple rush this. What could have been revolutionary is just a better headset. This hurts future iterations more than helps. 

But even when Apple is ready with the one form factor they should have approved, it will still be more of an Apple Watch type companion device. Marketed like that, it will do great. But trying to push it as a takeover is just not something people want. 

What an insane fucking comment that spits in the face of the most fundamental facts, and technology. 

Apple didn't "rush" this. It's been in dev for at least 7 years, and people have been whining for YEARS about Apple not having a VR/AR device. There is absolutely nothing rushed about this. It's clear that it went through an insane amount of development. From the design, to the tech, to the OS, to the tracking. 

And in what universe could this become a "pair of sunglasses" in a "couple years"? What? That's a psychotic comment. We won't have anything approaching that in 2, 5, nor probably 10 years. And how exactly would sunglasses accomplish what this device does? You need a light seal, as well as a fuckload of cameras and sensors to accomplish the experience they're looking for. I'm not sure what planet you live on where this is a "rushed" product that could have been sunglasses, had they taken another couple yrs. 

I largely agree with you Slurpy, (except in tone :neutral: ).  It's two different use cases without a lot of overlap, so one does not negate the utility of the other.

Sunglasses would be designed for easy, portable, and outdoor travel use: Navigation/walking directions, subject identification (plants/animals/foods), suggestions for shopping/dining/entertainment locales, product comparisons, both written and verbal translation, etc.

That's an entirely different scenario from the indoor-use, relatively static-position, and entertainment and learning-focused AR/VR Vision Pro. Both products can co-exist. The rumored wearable products currently being designed by Samsung/Google/Microsoft will probably fall in the "sunglasses" assisted-reality only category rather than intended as competitors to the light-sealed and both assisted and virtual-reality Vision Pro, a category Apple will own for the near future. 
    edited January 28
  • Reply 25 of 35
    RespiteRespite Posts: 111member
    slurpy said:

Agree with you pretty much entirety, but you're wasting your breath.  This guy pops up in every thread about the VP, so convinced of their own foresight and grasp of the facts and issues.  Nonsense it is, and best ignored.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    The future of computing is here, I’m in! Always so many doubters with every Apple release, haha. But you know they’re onto something when you see a demonstration vid and think ‘why hasn’t someone done this before now?’ All I can think is how everyone else will be scrambling to get a bit of the pie, and how crap they’ll probably be.
  • Reply 27 of 35

I think Vision Pro will be a huge success. Look at how many devices people buy (and how much some people spend on their TV and hifi). This tech incorporates and does everything better. As in the past, Apple have observed an emerging product category that other tech companies have failed at or tried too soon, and figured out how and when to do it. Personally, once it reaches second gen we’ll probably buy a couple for our household, say good bye to the TV & iPad. Laptops and phones here to stay - can’t imagine people walking around the streets with 3D glasses talking to invisible people and making idiotic hand gestures, haha.. 
  • Reply 28 of 35
    the price, PURE AND SIMPLE, but the fanboys never gonna be agree, even that cute group need that Apple drop it if they wanna see more generations,
    edited January 29
  • Reply 29 of 35
    slurpy said:

7 years and you put it from 3500 and for the mass, funny,
  • Reply 30 of 35
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    I was very close to replacing my broken MacBook Pro with a Vision Pro. 

My primary uses for a Mac nowadays are: watching videos, editing photos, and browsing the web. 

The Vision Pro would have fit my needs pretty well, I think. Watching videos and movies on a movie theater-sized virtual screen seems like it would be spectacular. 

In the end, I decided on a 15-inch MBA + Apple TV as my new setup. This combination was cheaper and less risky, although less exciting than the Vision Pro. However, I can imagine a day when the Vision Pro is lighter and more affordable, and that will be the day I transition from buying Macs to Vision Pro. 

I suspect that day will come too for many others like me. Maybe then, there will also be a non-Pro version just called “Vision”. 
    edited January 29
  • Reply 31 of 35
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    am8449 said:
    I was very close to replacing my broken MacBook Pro with a Vision Pro. 

My primary uses for a Mac nowadays are: watching videos, editing photos, and browsing the web. 

The Vision Pro would have fit my needs pretty well, I think. Watching videos and movies on a movie theater-sized virtual screen seems like it would be spectacular. 

In the end, I decided on a 15-inch MBA + Apple TV as my new setup. This combination was cheaper and less risky, although less exciting than the Vision Pro. However, I can imagine a day when the Vision Pro is lighter and more affordable, and that will be the day I transition from buying Macs to Vision Pro. 

I suspect that day will come too for many others like me. Maybe then, there will also be a non-Pro version just called “Vision”. 
    I don't think editing photos or browsing the web would will work out very well. Even if you mostly consume in an internet browser, unless you're just clicking the next thumbnail it's doesn't seem fun to switch tabs and type in new URLs with the hand gestures and virtual keyboard for AVP.

My AVP coming in a couple weeks and I full expect to keep using my MBP as my primary device.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    The negativity is instigated by Apple's competitors as usually when a product is launched.
    The positivity comes from Consumers, who have the vision to see what a remarkable product this can be.
    I have never been a fan of VR Headsets, however even I can see that this is no normal VR headset, even though I won't buy it, as I have no use for it and it's not out in the UK.
    I personally think Apple's biggest problem will be to satisfy the demand
  • Reply 33 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    Xed said:
    cia said:
    I'm confused about the "8K immersive video".  The displays built into the VP are 4K on each eye.  How do you see 8K video on 4K displays?

If you watch 8K video on a 1080p monitor, you're watching 1080p video. 
    I can't give you a detailed answer about the 8K, but I can say that your premise that they are only 4K images is wrong. 

Now that the reviews have gone live, it's being sid it is the equivalent of a 65" 4K TV, but with a smaller color range, 92% of the DCI-P3 colorspace. That equates to 49% of the colors your eyes can see.

Many of the better 65" TV's from Samsung, Sony, and TCL, can display 100% of the DCI-P3 colorspace, or approximately 55% of what a typical human eye perceives*.

*If you prefer Pointer's gamut it would be 87% of human color perception.

I think I have all that correct. 
    edited January 30
  • Reply 34 of 35
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Xed said:

I don't think editing photos or browsing the web would will work out very well. Even if you mostly consume in an internet browser, unless you're just clicking the next thumbnail it's doesn't seem fun to switch tabs and type in new URLs with the hand gestures and virtual keyboard for AVP.

My AVP coming in a couple weeks and I full expect to keep using my MBP as my primary device.
    I’ve watched a handful of video reviews saying that photo editing and web browsing on the Vision Pro is pretty good.

I don’t know from personally experience, so I’d be interested in hearing your experience once you’ve had a chance to try it out. 
  • Reply 35 of 35
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    am8449 said:
    Xed said:

I’ve watched a handful of video reviews saying that photo editing and web browsing on the Vision Pro is pretty good.

I don’t know from personally experience, so I’d be interested in hearing your experience once you’ve had a chance to try it out. 
    Pretty good for a system of sensors that look at your pupils and fingertips to figure out where you're looking and what you want to do, or pretty good for computing in general? 

I have no doubt that AVP is by far best in class for a headset, but I can't fathom how that will ever best the Mac experience.