Netflix CEO says Apple Vision Pro market is too insignificant to bother with

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Actually I think it’s Netflix that is "sub scale" or at least subpar. Most of their "original" programming is delivered in 1080p and upscaled to 4k for streaming.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 42
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    What a shitty CEO. 

Yes, currently the Vision Pro user base is 0. 

But we all know that will change very soon. Will it be doing iPhone/iPad numbers? No, of course not. 

But getting in from the start and a great app experience for a lucrative piece of tech does nothing but good things for your brand. The Vision Pro is gonna have very high engagement from its users, and they could be watching Netflix, instead of Disney/Apple TV.

And I would say the cost of developing an app, for Netflix, would be pretty fucking negligible, considering the kind of app it is. 

Example of a company with zero vision. 
    williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Netflix has 230 million subscribers. Apple hopes to sell 400 thousand VP units by end of year. Does it make sense for Netflix to invest in an app now for an audience size that's a very, very tiny fraction of 1% of its subscriber base? (To be specific, it's 0.00017%) No. Netflix's stated reason for why there's no app at launch seems exactly right. 
    designrwilliamlondongrandact73Alex1N
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Then stop nickel and diming your subscribers ahole.
    williamlondon12Strangerswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 42
    They won’t update their AppleTV app to support interactive content or integrate with the AppleTV platform and they keep putting the price up. 

Sorry but if you’re a giant company that can’t be bothered to support all your users, then I can’t be bothered to give you any more money.

We cancelled Netflix last month, yesterday was the last day for us. I’m sure we will come back one day, but not for a while.
    williamlondon12StrangersAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 42
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,323member
    Apple has a long memory and a tendency to hold grudges. 
    When exactly?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 42
    dewme said: The Netflix CEO is pretty much at the same place that many of us are at with Vision Pro - "we'll see where things go" which means we will wait and see. I'm waiting too. The big difference is we're all waiting because there is about $4K of our hard earned cash on the line and we don't really know for sure how this thing will fit into our lives other than the gee-whiz and oh-wow factor
    If you know how an 100" 4K OLED TV would fit into your life then you already know how the AVP would fit. And you would be saving multiple thousands of dollars by getting the AVP instead of the TV. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 42
    dewme said: The Netflix CEO is pretty much at the same place that many of us are at with Vision Pro - "we'll see where things go" which means we will wait and see. I'm waiting too. The big difference is we're all waiting because there is about $4K of our hard earned cash on the line and we don't really know for sure how this thing will fit into our lives other than the gee-whiz and oh-wow factor
    If you know how an 100" 4K OLED TV would fit into your life then you already know how the AVP would fit. And you would be saving multiple thousands of dollars by getting the AVP instead of the TV. 
    By purchasing an AVP for each of your family members. /s
    designrwilliamlondondewmeAlex1N
  • Reply 29 of 42
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    By purchasing an AVP for each of your family members. /s
    I think it’s clear that his scenario is for a single occupant dwelling, or perhaps a roommate situation where you would use the device solo.

That said, while it might be a great visual experience there is still a potential issue with longevity of use due to weight. Can you watch Killers of the Flower Moon straight through without neck fatigue?
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 42
    I see Vision Pro as more of a commercial business device than a consumer device. Medical, space and military applications are obvious but it goes well beyond that. The OS is amazing, it's truly a breakthrough and will improve over time. Remember the first iPod or iPhone?
    Alex1Ntenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Xed said:
    thrang said:
    He's superficially correct - but he seems to be missing (purposely or not) the relatively meaningless cost to be an early-marquee app for their longer term benefit, and shorter term marketing attention.

Also probably not interested in "helping" a streaming competitor, but why give up eyeballs (literal, marketing, and news cycle) for no reason?

Disney was smarter here.
    As Cpsro points out, the default state would be to allow their iPad app to work on AVP. They had to actively disable that feature so you can't simply install the iPad app on AVP. The only reason for this is try to hurt the success of AVP. 

It's far more likely to be because they don't want to use up resources on calls from customers complaining that it doesn't work right.

I seriously doubt that Netflix would "try to hurt the success of AVP".  In fact, I would fully expect them to embrace any display technology that makes them money.  AVP is not yet in that category, but as the article points out, that could change.
    williamlondonAlex1Ntenthousandthings
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Appleish said:
    Is Netflix still a thing?
    Yeah, it’s this service people pay for to watch commercials.
    williamlondonAlex1Njwdawsowatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Guess Nokia and Backberry also said iPhone was insignificant when launched back then. Histort now says a different story..
    williamlondonjwdawsowatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 42
    mattinoz said:
    When exactly?
    One example is who they invite/don’t invite to events. Those who don’t praise products are blackballed. Leo LaPorte, founder of the “Screensavers” Tech TV show and now owner of This Week in Tech “network,” for example. He and I are both long term Apple fans, so not spreading hate here, just pointing out a tendency. It’s their party a their right to do it, but I don’t have to like it. 
    designrwilliamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 35 of 42
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    Which is a disservice to its own customer base.

Apple held a grudge against Intel when they said no.....
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 42

mattinoz said:
    When exactly?
    Apple held a grudge against Intel when they said no.....
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 42
    mattinoz said:
    When exactly?
    One example is who they invite/don’t invite to events. Those who don’t praise products are blackballed. Leo LaPorte, founder of the “Screensavers” Tech TV show and now owner of This Week in Tech “network,” for example. He and I are both long term Apple fans, so not spreading hate here, just pointing out a tendency. It’s their party a their right to do it, but I don’t have to like it. 

Didn't Leo break the rules? About streaming?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 42
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    danox said:
    mattinoz said:
    When exactly?

Didn't Leo break the rules? About streaming?
    Leo La Porte doesn't have an audience that Apple really wants to cater to that much. It seems his audience consist of old cranky guys. It's been so long that he and his network has aged out?

Apple had a "grudge" against Gizmodo for their iPhone 4 shenanigans. They were not blacklisted for a while, but they have been back to doing reviews for a while now. The employee turnover there probably helped.
    williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 42
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    Maybe, but it seriously depends on who the "you" is and "how" the "you" is going to use the thing.

If the "you" is me and I'm looking to buy a 100" 4K OLED TV it's going to live in the family room, man cave, or she shack specifically to serve as a shareable entertainment center. There may be one or there may be a bunch of other (real not virtual) people sitting or mingling around the thing while the 100-incher is showcasing its gloriousness to everyone that's within sight of it. AVP clearly does not "fit" this diverse and flexible use case in a way that I can fathom. But yeah, if the "you" is always going to be one person or one person at a time and the giant TV as a shared entertainment center is not desired, or the single user cannot fit the 100 inch thing into their space or budget, and you're totally cool with strapping something to your face, then no problem. 

If using the Vision Pro as a giant TV replacement is your sole defining objective for buying the device, go for it. But the Vision Pro could potentially do a hell of a lot more than just being a giant single viewer TV or "Movie Theater for One." The possibilities are huge, but we don't yet know how or when those possibilities will be transformed into consumable features, functions, and applications. We only know what current VR headsets do today and not a lot of us are buying them. The Vision Pro is promising so much more than a conventional VR headset but it's still a bit of a mystery for a lot of us exactly what it will personally do for us. If you already know it's going to serve your needs, good for you because it is an amazing piece of technology. 

For me personally, if the Vision Pro was $500 I'd still be taking a wait & see approach with it. There is no downside, for me at least, to wait until I see what it really can do beyond fancy demos to even think about buying one. I had no such hesitancy when I saw the iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, Apple Watch, HomePod, Apple TV, and paid iCloud services when they all arrived on the market. Nothing Apple sells is cheap, but most of what they sell is very good and I've never questioned the value that came with the purchase.

It's not a knock on the Vision Pro to take a wait & see approach when you honestly don't know how you would employ it in your personal life. I've done deep dives and prototypes that investigated ways to employ Google Glass and Microsoft HoloLens for industrial applications, so it's not like I cannot envision many applications for this type of technology in industry. For personal use, I'm still at a loss for how I'd use the Vision Pro today, other than for entertainment and to escape from reality for short periods of time.

At some point someone will probably show me something that convinces me otherwise and my piggy bank's life will be shattered.
    edited January 26 williamlondonAlex1Ndesignrtenthousandthingsmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 42
    faceted said:
    They won’t update their AppleTV app to support interactive content or integrate with the AppleTV platform and they keep putting the price up. 

Sorry but if you’re a giant company that can’t be bothered to support all your users, then I can’t be bothered to give you any more money.

We cancelled Netflix last month, yesterday was the last day for us. I’m sure we will come back one day, but not for a while.
    Agreed, a year or two ahead of you. I get what Netflix thinks it’s doing, a world unto itself, but their content is out of sight, out of mind (on the tv, at least) once you stop subscribing. The most arrogant and foolish thing they do is to not allow browsing if you’re not subscribed.

Other services that don’t allow Search and Up Next to see their content (MHz Choice, for example) still allow you to browse without being subscribed. So we go on there to check and see if there are new seasons of exclusive shows we like (Art of Crime, for example). But Netflix makes this difficult to do, so as a result, even though the Netflix app is sitting right there at the end of the first row on my tv, my brain doesn’t see it. That’s a serious miscalculation, partly because we’re bad at remembering to unsubscribe after we’re done watching the content we subscribed for, I’m honestly not sure what services we are or aren’t subscribed to at the moment, but that doesn’t happen with Netflix because it’s off by itself.

In short, you won’t miss it. You will go back when you hear about new seasons of things you want to watch, but once you are out of the habit of checking the app (which atrophies quickly when you can’t browse), it’s like it doesn’t exist.
    edited January 28 williamlondonwatto_cobra