Apple Vision Pro is already a win for Apple & consumers

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    These days I find myself wanting to leave the tethering of my desk when watching videos, like I can for podcasts, so that I can perform other active tasks at the same time.
    This device functionally would be very useful for me. I'll have to try it out in an Apple store to see it it is too heavy. I do not walk around looking at an iPhone like I see so many others doing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 68
    Xed said:
    miiwtwo said:

[...]

Please try not to quote the entire original article - Jason

so basically you try to convince that it's price is correct, WRONG, doesnt matter, the rest we can wait until 2025, i'm sure that Apple gonna release the "base model" and maybe drop the actual Pro,
    1) If you don't quote anything you're responding to you just come across as a schizophrenic yelling into the wind. So what comment from article are you referring?

2) What exactly is "WRONG" about the price?
     funny guy x'D
    williamlondon
  • Reply 63 of 68
    RespiteRespite Posts: 111member
    Xed said:
    miiwtwo said:

[...]

Please try not to quote the entire original article - Jason

so basically you try to convince that it's price is correct, WRONG, doesnt matter, the rest we can wait until 2025, i'm sure that Apple gonna release the "base model" and maybe drop the actual Pro,
    1) If you don't quote anything you're responding to you just come across as a schizophrenic yelling into the wind. So what comment from article are you referring?
    Are you serious?   :D
    williamlondon
  • Reply 64 of 68
    I’m really interested in the prospects for use of the AVP by people who live with with disabilities, especially folks with major speech and motor chailenges — ALS, multiple sclerosis, high spinal cord injuries, and so on.  Eye gaze controls, voice to text, and other adaptations have the potential to lead to meaningful employment, education, authoring, and significant contributions to community.  

In terms of the $2,600 price, I started out in the field when a full Dragon Dictate setup was > $20k and most augmentative and alternative communication devices were $5-7,000. This month, the AI-powered VoiceItt app broke through a barrier by gaining the capacity to translate individual *spontaneous* dysarthric speech into spoken English on the fly for a subscription price of fifty bucks a month, which wilk make it possible for many people with cerebral palsy, strokes, Down syndrome, and other speech challenges to be understood by everyone. Just watch. 

avon b7MisterKitmattinozjSnivelywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 68
    I do think that the eyesight screen infront is crucial, if you want the device to be useable around other people that is. At work, at home. The amount of information we give with our eyes is quite big.

Putting a whole other screen on the device is no small decision. Its not "Apple is silly, this is just like their one button mice…" (one button mice is the exclusive pinch/hand controls) It’s an investment in engineering, design, a weight contribution, battery consumption.. It is not something that wasn’t viewed as crucial, you could argue it was for differentiation with the competition, but I feel like it isn’t the entire story.

I wear glasses, if at work, my employer gave me sunglasses and told me: Go work with your team, and everyone was wearing sunglasses. It would be awkward and feel antisocial. Likely work would suffer as a result.

Furthermore, I was struggling to envision, how once the technology to do away with heavy glass, would function, I somehow imagined it would be transparent, but i was wrong… It HAS to be a display showing your eyes on the outward facing side. Even with nanoscale optics on silicon.
    We rarely ever hear about internal conflict as it is happening at Apple. But this time we did hear of this internal dispute at apple, between a team that wanted Apple to wait for tech to mature (I suspect they wanted to wait for nanoscale optics coming around 2026/27, search metalenz) and the team that got the go-ahead for AVP, as it stands to be delivered, that won out. The other team wanted the slick, slim glasses that are possible with nanoscale optics, but that is atleast 2026/27 (the other team also wanted it to be powered by the mac or iPhone, and not be a standalone device)… If they didn’t announce in 2023, it would have left time for VR/AR as a whole to hit the dumpster. I also believe, that smartphones are at a place where cpu/gpu power is not a major differentiator anymore, Apple needed an additional edge and AVP might be it.

I think Apple Vision Pro, as it stands, is a product that HAD to come out. IF Apple wasn’t to loose the window of opportunity. Both in terms of available subcontractors and parts, since VR/AR was tanking and not gaining investor money AND meta/fb was fudging it… Apple had to release AVP, orelse the whole thing would have gone the way of 3d tv and would have left Apple fighting an impossible battle to market in 2027. Apple likes to enter a market where they can source sub contractors that have some scale of operations already..

Apple, being the 800 pound gorilla in tech, singlehandedly turned the ship at a crucial moment. Saved facebook (their tanking stock has hit pre-meta debacle levels..) and as I suspected, they are now touting to be the "Android" to AVP, will they? I think Android will be the Android to AVP… Even meta is using android so what are they talking about..

Kinda meandering text, but whatever. I think AVP will ultimately be a big player, I think AVP is like these pre-release games that are released to the public and go for years before they say it is "released" At the very least, Apple has VR/AR finally.

edited January 29 watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 68
    Tht said : 

One interesting aspect for success for the Vision Pro is that eye and hand tracking comes to the iPad, Macs and external displays. It would be a new and different UI mechanism and that just doesn't happen. In the old days, when focus-follows-mouse or focus-follows-click for keyboard input was raging, I wondered what happens if keyboard input focus followed your eyes.

Reminds me the film "Looker" from Michael Crichton ..... this guy was a genius ... (imagine advertising efficiency analysis with Apple Vision Pro cooked in the Google sauce : pretty uncomfortable, uh ? ). 

Paraphrasing Steve Jobs : the best pointing device : your eyes !
    edited February 3
  • Reply 67 of 68
    ruerue Posts: 10member
    Regarding the $3499.00 price tag: the original Macintosh was priced at $2495.00, which in today's dollars is about $7000.00. Therefore, this new computer, which in my own head I am calling the Spatial Mac, is a steal, and people should be buying two of them, if for no other reason than to keep significant others occupied.