VPC crashing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Just installed VPC 6 for WIN 98SE bk of certain SW and files not readable or usable by Mac. The problem is that on 2 cases, VPC froze the whole Mac (mouse, everything) and one time I had to unplug the iMac and the second time I had to hold down the of-off switch for some time. Then when I tried to reboot VPC, it claimed that I had contaminated the command. Therefore, I removed VPC and reinstalled. So far, no more crashes but I know they are coming!

Since the iMac froze, I could not use force quit. IN THE FUTURE, is there anyother way to "unfreeze" without using on-off switch?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    If it's a process that's locking up the machine then you're in luck.

However, you'll need a second Mac with OS X and they'll need to be networked.

You'll need the Mac's IP address, login ID and password and have Remote Login enabled. Then use the Terminal on the other Mac to secure shell in.

In the Terminal, type: ssh [email protected]ess

It will ask for the password, enter it.

Once in, type: top -u

This will display the processes and hopfully the one that's locking up the machine. Use the kill command to free it up.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic

If it's a process that's locking up the machine then you're in luck.

However, you'll need a second Mac with OS X and they'll need to be networked.

You'll need the Mac's IP address, login ID and password and have Remote Login enabled. Then use the Terminal on the other Mac to secure shell in.

In the Terminal, type: ssh [email protected]ess

It will ask for the password, enter it.

Once in, type: top -u

This will display the processes and hopfully the one that's locking up the machine. Use the kill command to free it up.

Unfortunately my only other computer is a PC connected and sharing via cable router. It appears that my crashes involved very old programs which were originally for "early" Win 95 and have decided to ditch these. So far, no more crashes since I only loading more current programs (last 3 yrs versus the very old ones of 4-6 yrs).

But, I will keep your response bk my next computer maybe iBook...thanks!