Jony Ive wanted to combine MacBook Pro and MacBook Air lines

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 161member
    If Ive was still at Apple, you would still have bad MacBooks with horrible butterfly keyboards.  That guy was far too obsessed with thin products.  Once he was gone, Apple was able to fix his mistakes.
    pulseimagesDavidEsratimacxpress
  • Reply 22 of 34
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    macxpress said:
    Jony Ive is a stylist and ruined the MacBook Pro so he could make a case for his tiny toy- the MacBook Air.
    The keyboards were useless, they ditched magsafe - you needed a dongle for everything.
    Jony Ive leaving was the best move Apple could make.
    Now if someone would talk some sense into Apple about getting serious about small business and return Apple Server- and fix Apple ID to work easily for corporate owned devices we might actually get somewhere.
    There's no need for needing a server these days. Apple already has an AppleID solution for enterprise. It's called Apple Business Manager and they also have a lite MDM called Apple Business Essentials. With an MDM there's no reason to have a server at all really. If you need storage there are more than plenty of storage solutions out there that work great with Apple products. 

https://www.apple.com/business/enterprise/it/

https://www.apple.com/business/essentials/

Fortune500 companies all over the world use Apple Business Manager and an MDM solution such as Jamf to manage their Macs, iOS devices and AppleTV's. IBM for one is one of the largest major companies that use Macs in its environment using ABM and Jamf. They also use it for their iOS devices as well. 

You don't image a Mac anymore as it's all configured by MDM out of the box, or you restore it and let the MDM set it back up the way you want it. iOS devices are also setup automatically with the MDM, same goes for AppleTV's. There's no reason to do something like Netbooting, or QT streaming server, etc. There's just simply no reason to have macOS Server anymore. 
    I'm very much a Mac user, deep into the Apple ecosystem, and have been using Apple products longer than most AI readers have probably been alive, but I can't for a second agree that there's no need for servers and that anything Apple does for business is even close to a complete or relevant enterprise solution. As kludgy as MS always has been, currently is, and surely will be, using MS365 to manage users is overall a great experience and nothing Apple can begin to touch.
    DavidEsratiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 34
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    It needed two models, so you can capture the lower end market that would have moved to PCs laptops. Made sense to have two.

However, what gives me the s**ts with Apple is how they restrict MacBooks to only one external monitors when the M chips can definitely handle 2. Restricting it to try and force you to upgrade. Come on, this just gouging. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 34
    "so that would be better for their bottom line and people would buy it even if they didn't need the extra power it gave,"

must be nice to be an out of touch rich d-bag.

the line that exists today is to make sure there is an option at many price points. for different folks at different budgets. Tim Cook got it right. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 34
    timmillea said:
    There is hardly any difference between the MacBook Pro and Air since Apple silicon. One has a fan and the other doesn't. All other differences are purely down to marketing and deliberate product placement. Improved heat sinking would remove the need for a fan, the display could be made premium and suddenly there is no need for two product lines. Ive was right. 
    PORTS
    M-Series Pro
    M-Series Max

HUGE differences, if you’re in need of a pro machine. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 34
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    charlesn said:
    mrstep said:
    True on sustained performance, but the odd thing is that there's been almost no weight difference ("Air"?) for years when it was 2.8lbs vs 3lbs. Apparently the solution was to make the Pro start at 14" and 3.5 lbs, I'd still love to see a true Air show up at the 2 lb mark again. ߤ禺wj;♂️ 
    Thank you for pointing out that the Air stopped being "airy" long ago, with almost no weight difference vs MBP until the latest MBPs put on weight.

Sadly, the second iteration of a "true Air" has come and gone: it was the Macbook 12" Retina. 2 pounds of pure joy. Not only was it my primary work computer for five years, but it was the choice of pretty much every top level exec at the top ten cable channel where I was employed. Sure, our video editors weren't using it, but the idea that you couldn't get "real work done" on the MBA 12" was just ridiculous. My current MBA M2 feels unwieldy and like an anchor compared to the super compact and lightweight MB 12" Retina. I keep hoping they resurrect it with Apple Silicon, but I doubt that will happen. 
    I only ever saw an rMB once in the wild. At the BYOD school it was the lone rMB among a sea of lower res MBAs and the occasional gamer laptop or crappy HP G2 or dell latitude.  Heck even the 11 inch MBA outnumbered it, and not by a small amount.  For all the short time the rMb was available it was obviously outsold  many times over by the MBA. And it was the MBA that was a better priced, multiport laptop of a perfect utility.  
    If the rMB was better priced and had more than one port, and did not have a rubbish keyboard  it might have had a chance.it gooda been a champion, the successor to the PowerBook G4.   But to be so obviously pantsed by an older design MBA is just…sad.
    edited January 30
  • Reply 27 of 34
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    entropys said:
    charlesn said:
    mrstep said:
    True on sustained performance, but the odd thing is that there's been almost no weight difference ("Air"?) for years when it was 2.8lbs vs 3lbs. Apparently the solution was to make the Pro start at 14" and 3.5 lbs, I'd still love to see a true Air show up at the 2 lb mark again. ߤ禺wj;♂️ 
    Thank you for pointing out that the Air stopped being "airy" long ago, with almost no weight difference vs MBP until the latest MBPs put on weight.

Sadly, the second iteration of a "true Air" has come and gone: it was the Macbook 12" Retina. 2 pounds of pure joy. Not only was it my primary work computer for five years, but it was the choice of pretty much every top level exec at the top ten cable channel where I was employed. Sure, our video editors weren't using it, but the idea that you couldn't get "real work done" on the MBA 12" was just ridiculous. My current MBA M2 feels unwieldy and like an anchor compared to the super compact and lightweight MB 12" Retina. I keep hoping they resurrect it with Apple Silicon, but I doubt that will happen. 
    I only ever saw an rMB once in the wild. At the BYOD school it was the lone rMB among a sea of lower res MBAs and the occasional gamer laptop or crappy HP G2 or dell latitude.  Heck even the 11 inch MBA outnumbered it, and not by a small amount.  For all the short time the rMb was available it was obviously outsold  many times over by the MBA. And it was the MBA that was a better priced, multiport laptop of a perfect utility.  
    If the rMB was better priced and had more than one port, and did not have a rubbish keyboard  it might have had a chance.it gooda been a champion, the successor to the PowerBook G4.   But to be so obviously pantsed by an older design MBA is just…sad.
    I'm pretty adamant that 12" display sizes are too small for modern website and application design. Thusly, all 12" display PC devices, or smaller, like a Chromebook, Netbook, Utlrabook, are destined to fail or their display sizes will grow to 13" or larger. So, the rMB12 was a strategic error in features. It needed to be 13.3" to increase its chances for sales. It shouldn't come back in laptop form.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    macxpress said:
    Jony Ive is a stylist and ruined the MacBook Pro so he could make a case for his tiny toy- the MacBook Air.
    The keyboards were useless, they ditched magsafe - you needed a dongle for everything.
    Now if someone would talk some sense into Apple about getting serious about small business and return Apple Server- and fix Apple ID to work easily for corporate owned devices we might actually get somewhere.
    There's no need for needing a server these days. Apple already has an AppleID solution for enterprise. It's called Apple Business Manager and they also have a lite MDM called Apple Business Essentials. With an MDM there's no reason to have a server at all really. If you need storage there are more than plenty of storage solutions out there that work great with Apple products. 

Fortune500 companies all over the world use Apple Business Manager and an MDM solution such as Jamf to manage their Macs, iOS devices and AppleTV's. IBM for one is one of the largest major companies that use Macs in its environment using ABM and Jamf. They also use it for their iOS devices as well. 

You don't image a Mac anymore as it's all configured by MDM out of the box, or you restore it and let the MDM set it back up the way you want it. iOS devices are also setup automatically with the MDM, same goes for AppleTV's. There's no reason to do something like Netbooting, or QT streaming server, etc. There's just simply no reason to have macOS Server anymore. 

I run a small ad agency. Not a fortune 500. They've changed the Apple Business Manager so many times-
    And made it really impossible- plus- they are charging for it.
    We've tried using it-
    We tried using JAMF-
    WHAT HAPPENED TO THE COMPUTER FOR THE REST OF US.
    This shouldn't be that fricking difficult.
    And- no- we're not storing everything up in the cloud. Because- we only recently had access to gigabit fiber.
    We just want to file share, have an internal messaging app, a wiki, and be able to jump from one workstation to the next- without a zillion complications.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,813member
    macxpress said:

I run a small ad agency. Not a fortune 500. They've changed the Apple Business Manager so many times-
    And made it really impossible- plus- they are charging for it.
    We've tried using it-
    We tried using JAMF-
    WHAT HAPPENED TO THE COMPUTER FOR THE REST OF US.
    This shouldn't be that fricking difficult.
    And- no- we're not storing everything up in the cloud. Because- we only recently had access to gigabit fiber.
    We just want to file share, have an internal messaging app, a wiki, and be able to jump from one workstation to the next- without a zillion complications.
    Those are the old school thinking days and those days have passed years ago. Apple Business Manager is free. IDK where you're getting they're charging for it. What was wrong with using jamf? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 34

Xed said:
    macxpress said:

I'm very much a Mac user, deep into the Apple ecosystem, and have been using Apple products longer than most AI readers have probably been alive, but I can't for a second agree that there's no need for servers and that anything Apple does for business is even close to a complete or relevant enterprise solution. As kludgy as MS always has been, currently is, and surely will be, using MS365 to manage users is overall a great experience and nothing Apple can begin to touch.
    And yet you didn't explain at all what you would use macOS Server for...

Major Fortune500 companies use Apple Devices every single day without issues. I even provided an example in my original post. The very stuff Apple is doing, Microsoft is heading the same way. It's beginning to eliminate imaging and is using more of an out of the box setup solution, similar to what Apple is doing with MDM. In the age of people working remote it's a much better solution as a company can just send someone a new Mac still totally sealed and all the end user has to do is turn it on, connect it to their home WiFi and the Mac starts setting itself up. Same with an iOS device. Just turn it on, connect it to some kind of network and it starts setting itself up. It's not imaging a Mac and then boxing it up and send it to the user. That's very old school and simply not necessary with today's solutions. 

You can still use Azure or AD to manage users if you'd like and use ABM and an MDM. However, there's no reason to not just use local accounts. Again, old school thinking is you need to log into a network account to use a computer. 
    edited January 30 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 34

Rogue01 said:
    If Ive was still at Apple, you would still have bad MacBooks with horrible butterfly keyboards.  That guy was far too obsessed with thin products.  Once he was gone, Apple was able to fix his mistakes.
    Ive was very much form over function person. All he cared about is what a product looked like. While yeah maybe they did look nice, if it impacts the functionality of the product then who gives a shit what it looks like in the end. 
  • Reply 32 of 34
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    macxpress said:

Xed said:
    macxpress said:

And yet you didn't explain at all what you would use macOS Server for...

Major Fortune500 companies use Apple Devices every single day without issues. I even provided an example in my original post. The very stuff Apple is doing, Microsoft is heading the same way. It's beginning to eliminate imaging and is using more of an out of the box setup solution, similar to what Apple is doing with MDM. In the age of people working remote it's a much better solution as a company can just send someone a new Mac still totally sealed and all the end user has to do is turn it on, connect it to their home WiFi and the Mac starts setting itself up. Same with an iOS device. Just turn it on, connect it to some kind of network and it starts setting itself up. It's not imaging a Mac and then boxing it up and send it to the user. That's very old school and simply not necessary with today's solutions. 

You can still use Azure or AD to manage users if you'd like and use ABM and an MDM. However, there's no reason to not just use local accounts. Again, old school thinking is you need to log into a network account to use a computer. 
    1) How exactly can I use a macOS server for everything I currently do with a Windows domain across multiple locations?

2) What do you mean "just use local accounts"? Are you suggesting there are no domains but that everyone re-setup their desktops from scratch every time they move to a new workstation? How do I manage all user access if not from a centralized domain?
  • Reply 33 of 34
    From all the other reporting on this, it’s a rumor. And the source is one person inside apple. 

Whether this person is hostile or friendly to Ive In unknown. 

What’s also unknown is the intensity level of this idea. While the source seems to claim I’ve was intent on this, we know for certain that I’ve and Jobs used to just toss crazy ideas around all the time. 

I’m sure I’ve didn’t stop doing that when Jons passed. 

So it’s possible, likely even, that this was a “dopey idea” along the lines that Ive shared with Jobs that he shared with others. 

Take this rumor with a grain of salt. 

Also it wasn’t Cook’s niceness that gave Jony so much authority. It was Jobs, who viewed Ive as so essential to Apple, that he made the call from then forward before he passed. 
    edited January 31