Spotify re-signs Joe Rogan in deal that includes return to Apple Podcasts

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV

Joe Rogan has signed a deal worth up to $250 million dollars with Spotify, that frees "The Joe Rogan Experience" from exclusivity to the streaming service.




The deal said to be worth up to $250 million includes a minimum guarantee, and a revenue sharing agreement based on ad sales. It's not clear how much of the deal is up-front, and how much is performance based.

Spotify will reportedly be responsible for selling ads and distributing Rogan's show across many platforms. The company said on Friday that it will include YouTube, Apple Podcasts, and other venues.

Also not clear from the Wall Street Journal report on Friday afternoon is if anything from the back-catalog will be distributed on the other platforms.

The show's alleged misinformation over the coronavirus, however, was highlighted in January 2022. Artists led by Neil Young removed their music from Spotify in protest of Rogan's content.

Subsequently, Spotify apologized for the show, but refused to remove it. Spotify has also prefixed content warnings ahead of the show, and dozens of past episodes have been completely removed because of it, and other utterances by Rogan.

Rogan calls the removals a "political hit-job."

"The Joe Rogan Experience" will hit its 15th anniversary on December 24, 2024. There are over 2200 episodes in circulation.



Read on AppleInsider

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 14
    Object lesson: If you show a little backbone, cancel culture is toothless. As is the inane agenda of the woke.
    argonauthexclockKierkegaardenwilliamlondon9secondkox2grandact73cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Great, a new torrent of misinformation just in time for election season.
    Alex_Vwilliamlondon9secondkox2anomecornchipdrdavidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Object lesson: If you show a little backbone, cancel culture is toothless. As is the inane agenda of the woke.
    All the buzzwords in one short comment.
    danoxAlex_Vmichelb76robin huberjSnivelywilliamlondonauxio9secondkox2Respitefastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 14
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,036member
    Great, a new torrent of misinformation just in time for election season.
    You’d think people would get enough misinformation from the New York Times and the Washington Post that they wouldn’t need a new torrent. 
    michelb76williamlondon9secondkox2cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,065member
    Spotify, Rogan, and Crap.....
    Alex_Vwilliamlondonteejay2012drdavidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    time for spotify to fire more people and raise prices I guess.
    williamlondondanox9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 251member
    I've never listened to a minute of Joe Rogan. I honestly don't care if someone does. It makes no difference in my life. 

    I believe in free speech. To paraphrase George Carlin, if you don't like something, change the channel.
    williamlondondanoxwilliamh9secondkox2grandact73watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Canceled Spotify years before they paid this short, bald, putz.

    Apple Music > Spotify
    williamlondondanox9secondkox2drdavidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,212member
    Rogan is a political "hit job," profiting off others' pain and suffering.
    auxio9secondkox2drdavidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,744member
    Object lesson: If you show a little backbone, cancel culture is toothless. As is the inane agenda of the woke.
    Object lesson: it's all about eyeballs and money. Inflammatory language and reaction/division generating topics are latest round of bread and circuses.
    williamlondon9secondkox2muthuk_vanalingamdrdavidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,744member

    zeus423 said:
    I've never listened to a minute of Joe Rogan. I honestly don't care if someone does. It makes no difference in my life. 

    I believe in free speech. To paraphrase George Carlin, if you don't like something, change the channel.
    So what do you do when you realize you're surrounded by those who don't change the channel, and they've been convinced you're the enemy because you did?
    9secondkox2teejay2012muthuk_vanalingamdrdavidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 251member
    auxio said:

    zeus423 said:
    I've never listened to a minute of Joe Rogan. I honestly don't care if someone does. It makes no difference in my life. 

    I believe in free speech. To paraphrase George Carlin, if you don't like something, change the channel.
    So what do you do when you realize you're surrounded by those who don't change the channel, and they've been convinced you're the enemy because you did?
    I never really worry about what others think of me. They either like me or don’t. I’m fine with either. 
    williamhwilliamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,744member
    zeus423 said:
    auxio said:

    zeus423 said:
    I've never listened to a minute of Joe Rogan. I honestly don't care if someone does. It makes no difference in my life. 

    I believe in free speech. To paraphrase George Carlin, if you don't like something, change the channel.
    So what do you do when you realize you're surrounded by those who don't change the channel, and they've been convinced you're the enemy because you did?
    I never really worry about what others think of me. They either like me or don’t. I’m fine with either. 
    I guess I'm thinking along the lines of stalking and personal harassment. Where you can no longer ignore it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    auxio said:
    zeus423 said:
    auxio said:

    zeus423 said:
    I've never listened to a minute of Joe Rogan. I honestly don't care if someone does. It makes no difference in my life. 

    I believe in free speech. To paraphrase George Carlin, if you don't like something, change the channel.
    So what do you do when you realize you're surrounded by those who don't change the channel, and they've been convinced you're the enemy because you did?
    I never really worry about what others think of me. They either like me or don’t. I’m fine with either. 
    I guess I'm thinking along the lines of stalking and personal harassment. Where you can no longer ignore it.
    I'm thinking along the lines of voting for politicians pushing conspiracy-theory driven oppressive legislation. You can ignore Rogan, but his listeners vote, and they vote for people like him, and people he endorses.
    watto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.