About to turn 21.....help me to avoid becoming a fall-down drunk on my birthday

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
How, you may ask?

Simple!

As with many people my age, I feel the desire to try different beverges that would have been previously denied to me.

Instead of raiding the liqour store and trying 90 different things, however, I'd rather like to try a few drinks that are fairly interesting and not too strong (ie: don't reccomend I order a 'Zombie' at the dinner table on May 11). I want to avoid wasting my time (and my sobriety) on crappy drinks that only a few people like, or are considered an "acquired taste" by most people.

(BTW - I just realized something. I registered shortly after my 17th Birthday and now it's almost my 21st. How the time flies!)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Easy. Drink half a bottle of booze the day before your birthday.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    You have to hide in a small dark closet that only locks from the inside. You then have swallow the key and stay in there until you crap it back out.

Lots of folks try not to get hammered on their 21st, but everyone conspires against you. It seems almost the second someone here's its your birthday they are buying you a drink.

It's much better to just try to remember your 22nd birthday, the 21st is just a blur.

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Order a Midori and Seven. It's easy to take. it's a bit of a girly drink. Second drink I ever had. Coincidentally a girl ordered it for me.

First drink I ever had was Jack Daniel's, straight up. I highly recommend it It's pretty much all I drink...
  • Reply 4 of 22
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol, just don't get a satan's piss.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    1. don't drink on empty stomach, after giving blood, in hot tub or high altitude... exaggerated effect

2. no more than two drinks (1oz booze, 5oz wine, 12oz beer) per hour

(one per hour with food might keep you at the legal limit to drive, but if not you're legally drunk)

3. drink 8oz glass of water between rounds to counteract

4. shooters have no value other than to get you hammered... can't sip one

5. mixing drinks in an evening will generally make hangovers worse, it's not a one night buffet.

6. don't wear any clothes/shoes/cars you can't afford to hurl on

7. you may notice a moment when you seem funnier and chicks get better looking. neither has occured.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    so the above was a list of how not to get falling down...

as to what to order (or avoid) if it's inevitable,

"a matter of taste" has never applied more, or changed over time /mood, etc.

* most beer has a hops/malt taste... variations on a theme.

* certain wines are thin, others woody, some thick, some sweet, some dry... best with food.

* ciders are fruit based and carbonated (some higher alcohol content than beer of same size)

* mixed drinks are mainly efforts to mask booze with sodapop

* spirits - akavit/bourbon/gin/rum/rye/scotch/ouzo/tequila/vodka/etc may take some testing. vodka is considered the most "neutral" in terms of flavour, and is often an invisible hammer. ouzo is licorice flavoured, and many seem derivative of their original mash... rum from sugarcane, bourbon from corn, rye from grain, etc

* scotch is all about the subtleties of the old single malt (blended scotch is gauche)

* liqueurs (once just after dinner) range from syrupy sweet, to brandy/cognac, to creamy (Bailey's).

*in certain countries you can get pseudo-psychedelics like absynthe, but i wouldn't recommend them for first buzz

one last thing... some hangovers are so memorable that you never want to drink that again... tequila is still on my banned list, and my first cider bender had me avoiding fruit for days.

ymmv. enjoy .
  • Reply 7 of 22
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    In all honestly, follow this general rule:

Beer then liquor, never been sicker

Liquor then beer you're in the clear

If you start with beer then move to shots, you're in trouble. Your body eventually believes that the shots are as alcoholic as beer which isn't true. So you go from 12 oz. per drink to 1.5 oz and you drink too much too fast. Your body will drink 4 shots thinking it's as much alcohol as one beer. You end up getting ill very quickly.

Also, if you're going to be sick, throw up before going to bed. If you get sick before going to bed you'll feel better in the morning. If you wait until morning to get sick, your body has digested many more hours of alcohol while you slept and your body will feel worse. Puke it out the night before and it never hits the blood stream.

A Zombie is a great drink. You'll learn that eventually.

Just a note to the readers, I've never had a drink in my life. I'm not speaking from experience, but just random thoughts?

• Reply 8 of 22
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

In all honestly, follow this general rule:

Beer then liquor, never been sicker

Liquor then beer you're in the clear

bunge is right--don't make that mistake.

....also, as a wise man once said, wine (alcohol) is a mocker.

Stick with the classics---and NO HOUSE BRANDS---ask for the Tanqueray, Jack Daniel's, Absolut---Gin & tonic, Vodka&Tonic/lime twist, and Bourbon & Coke. If you start ordering the 'pan-galactic gargle blaster' and 'sex on the beach' you're only telling the world you can't handle the sauce and telling your waitress that you're flirting with her.

Nothing is worse than a crowd of giggling pretty boys who think they are the first humans to ever cop a buzz.

Relaxing maturely: GOOD

Binge use: BAD
  • Reply 9 of 22
    enaena Posts: 667member
    2x !!
  • Reply 10 of 22
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

7. you may notice a moment when you seem funnier and chicks get better looking. neither has occured.

This is probably the most important, esp. the second part. You may hate yourself the next morning if you get trapped by this. I know... from last night *shutters*.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

You may hate yourself the next morning...

Never, I mean never hate yourself the next morning. It's not worth the trouble. No matter what you did someone else has done worse and if you're really only going to be 21 then YOU are going to do worse as well. Might as well enjoy it while you can.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    my ex-alcoholist uncle adviced to drink bright alcohols like vodka because they are less likely to give a hangover. so i'd suggest vodka ... or gin tonic, or caipirinha (if you can find cachaça where you live) ... vodka's great, and if you drink that mixed with pineapple and cherry juice it does not taste strong so you probably won't notice how drunk you are ...

anywayz, 21st birthday? ENJOY!!! i'd go for vodka, and ... when was your birthday again? should we have a beer / whatever for that tomorrow/monday/etc/when?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Nah, Alcohol is all alcohol, there are these juvenile theories about "mixing" drinks, but it's all BS, everyone has a limit, approach it and you start to feel off, shoot past it and you will feel ugly. That said, what you ingest along side the alcohol will affect its absorbtion and your stomach. For me, carbonated alcohols (beers, champagne) don't play well with my stomach, I just feel bloated and drunk, but that's not because of a special property of particular alcohols, it's just what gas does when it's in your belly.

Eat lots and lots of fatty foods, that'll slow the absorbtion down and give ya a little leeway. But you'll still get drunk if you don't give it a rest between drinks.

Drink lotsa water, that'll keep you hydrated and lessen the morning after headache, which is a result of dehydration especially around your CNS fluids.

That's it. After that it doesn't matter what you drink or what combination you drink it in. You can get too much alcohol by drinking a lot of wimpy pussy drinks or a few (less) harder drinks.

whatever you do, don't be the idiot kid who downs 21 shots in 3 minutes and ends up dying from alcohol poisoning.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

1. don't drink on empty stomach, after giving blood, in hot tub or high altitude... exaggerated effect

2. no more than two drinks (1oz booze, 5oz wine, 12oz beer) per hour

(one per hour with food might keep you at the legal limit to drive, but if not you're legally drunk)

3. drink 8oz glass of water between rounds to counteract

4. shooters have no value other than to get you hammered... can't sip one

5. mixing drinks in an evening will generally make hangovers worse, it's not a one night buffet.

6. don't wear any clothes/shoes/cars you can't afford to hurl on

Good advice. As to what to drink, I like Knob Creek. It's a bourbon and it's expensive. Maybe if your wallet runs out first you'll avoid getting too hammered. I always prefer to enjoy what I'm drinking which is kind of the opposite of drinking to get drunk.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    stay close to the sides of buildings, it lessens the odds of falling down 50%.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

After that it doesn't matter what you drink or what combination you drink it in.

I'd be careful with this opinion. If you're an experienced drunk, it's true. But for a youngin' I think my previously stated rule helps.

If you start with beer, your body and mind adjust to 12 oz per hour/half hour/whatever. If six hours into the night you switch to shots, your body and mind are still looking for 12 oz per hour/half hour/whatever only a shot is much more potent.

You're right, as long as you stick to 1 drink an hour it doesn't matter what order you go in. I'm just saying that if you go in the wrong order, you can more easily convince your body to take in more than it should.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Pabst Blue Ribbon in a can, sumbitch...sweet nectar of life. Happy birthday!

But seriously, I don't know. I barely drink anymore, and when I do it's a Corona with Mexican food or some reasonably-priced "regular guy" domestic with pizza.

No goofy $9.65/6-pack Weimenhammers's Bitter Alpine Honey Harvest Wheat Berry Lager horsecrap (in a sickeningly trendy, over-designed package, no less) for me, thanks.

\
  • Reply 18 of 22
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    The first time you drink alcohol, it really doesn't matter that much what you drink.. everything tastes like shit, from good beer to bad whiskey. Don't buy an expensive bottle of scotch or bourbon... to your virgin mouth, it will taste exactly like toilet cleaner anyway. Unless you want to show off or something.

OTOH, how sick you will get can vary. And/or who you wake up with.

After years of arguing with my friends that ethanol is ethanol and mixing drinks isn't going to make you any sicker than sticking to one drink, i'm starting to believe in the 'don't mix drinks' rule. I don't think it's actually the alcohol, but rather a combination of other factors:

1. If you try a buch of drinks, you'll end up mixing up some weird stuff in your stomach. Imagine drinking some Baileys w. milk, a screwdriver, a bloody mary, a tequila shot with lime, and a whiskey sour. You've just mixed milk and cream, orange juice, lime juice, tomato juice, Worcestershire Sauce, Tabasco sauce, a whole bunch of salt, and a whole bunch of sugar. Even without the alcohol, you'd probably puke!

2. Mixing drinks encourages you to drink more.

But basically, you just have to find out for yourself how well you hold your alcohol. It varies with your build, sex, genetics, and personality, i think. I'm pretty skinny but i hold my alcohol well, even the first time i drank. I usually appear sober, even when quite drunk. OTOH I know some very large people who turn into drooling, lurching, apes after half a pitcher of beer.

Throwing up is a matter of taste sometimes. \ Of course, if you're blind drunk and puking on yourself, that's one thing, but other times you may not be that drunk, but just feel sick. If you go to the bathroom and throw up, you'll usually feel better right away (unless you've really been chugging the stuff). Then again, some people, like my girfriend, would rather sit in the corner groaning and in the fetal position, and have their whole night ruined, rather than just go throw up for 30 seconds.

Yah. Anyway, i'm not sure why I wrote a whole essay on this.. Time for bed, ya.

Oh, and happy barfday, i mean birthday!

-robo
  • Reply 19 of 22
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Oh, and for nice drinks for the newbie, i recommend a Grasshopper (if you like mint), or a White Russian (if you like coffee). Both are severely girly drinks, but are tasty, yet potently alcoholic. They're both milk based, so avoid mixing with other types of drinks. Or food.

If eating, stick to beer or wine.

-robo
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Always Always follow the liquor before beer rule, everyone says it, and you think it can't matter, well it does...

I was at a strip club for a farewell to a co-worker, moving on to a better job, and we where going through pitchers of beer (I hate beer, but I wasn't buying), and then I get challenged to shots of tequila... Well that ended up with me not having any water to hold it back and running to the toilet where I proceeded to totally violate the thing, its was bad... very bad...

Anyway, once that was over, I managed not to get any on myself somehow... I cleaned up, washed my mouth out, and went back out to get a lap-dance... (strippers, what they deal with, dunk fools who just puked all other the place, can it really be worth the money?)... But yeah I felt pretty good after puking, so don't fear it so much if it comes on fast, but if its a slow build-up and you've been drinking for hours already, that's when its bad...

And then it was off to work, tech-support grave shift... All the best techs where at the club and everyone was trashed... No one got there problems fixed that night, and there where some very high call times...