Apple is working on at least two folding iPhone prototypes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    danox said:
    Every year people say Apple should offer a cheap iPhone when they do, most people end up buying the upper end iPhones. The hinge is a no go, work on getting rid of the notch Apple.....
    Isn’t it more of a pill now?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 36
    vukasika said:
    lol curious how many folks who see foldable phones as pointless, got excited about the Apple AR googles…
    How are foldable phones and ar/vr goggles related?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 36
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,733member
    AppleZulu said:
    avon b7 said:
    Some random observations.

No one has to buy a folding phone so I find it hard to understand why some people are against Apple making one. It would only be for those who actually want one and I'm sure some Apple users would want one. That's why Apple is probably working on one.

No phone needs to be waterproof. Splashproof is more than enough. I've only ever met two people in my life who have suffered immersion damage and one of those was a feature phone. The other accidentally ended up in the washing machine.

Some folding phones are already on par with regular iPhone. 

There are more mechanical parts. There is more bend stress on the screen. It's a tradeoff on being able to fold the phone. 

Is that a problem? Millions of folding phones have shipped but the sky hasn't fallen in under problems of durability. 

And with every generation, they are getting better than they already were. 

Yes, prices can be higher but they are coming down as sales increase. 

The 'problem waiting for a solution' makes no sense. Large screen. Small screen. Main camera for selfies. Portrait subjects can see themselves on the screen. Multitasking multiple apps with real screen space.

It's all about preference. An Apple folding phone would be a great option for those who want one. The alternative is an Android folding phone. 
    No one has to buy one, nor does Apple have to make one. Apple has been pretty consistent in not chasing trends to add bells, whistles and novelty features.

One reason you haven't met many people who have "suffered immersion damage" is because, for the last several years, an iPhone dropped in water don't get damaged. Apple isn't likely to trade that feature in for a novelty phone that folds.

Your trade-off for foldability comes with higher warranty claim rates. Apple doesn't want that.

The "millions of folding phones" that have shipped weren't made by Apple. Quality failures for other brands don't make news like they would if it were Apple.

Every generation of device is getting better, so why would Apple want to reverse that trend by making a novelty phone that breaks easily?

You've reversed the concept. A folding-screen phone is a solution looking for a problem, not a problem looking for a solution.

There are lots of features and devices that other companies make that Apple won't be making, because Apple doesn't chase after every bell and whistle just in case somebody wants one.
    I'll expand on what I said. 

No immersion damage because there was no immersion. 

Apple does not have to make one but we are commenting precisely on the possibility that they are planning one. 

You'd have to ask Apple if they are chasing trends or see it as an option. What do those patents indicate to you? Trend or real use-case?

No one chases after every bell and whistle but most of what Apple has added to the iPhone over recent years has in fact been in existence on other phones. 

If a folding phone were to be released it would be another example. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 36
    The only use case for me for a foldable is being able to open it TOS style so I can get Scotty to beam me up. 
    edited February 8 longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 36
    M68000 said:
    AppleZulu said:
    This won’t happen. It serves no purpose beyond novelty, while adding expense, decreasing durability, increasing warranty claims, and lowering customer satisfaction ratings. 
    But some people must want them.  It seems Samsung is selling a lot of them.  
    A lot compared to what?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 36
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,733member
    longfang said:
    M68000 said:
    AppleZulu said:
    This won’t happen. It serves no purpose beyond novelty, while adding expense, decreasing durability, increasing warranty claims, and lowering customer satisfaction ratings. 
    A lot compared to what?
    Sales have been up YoY for all the major players AFAIK. 

Estimates from last July registered the folding phone industry at $43B.

Going forward, unit sales projections are as high a 100 million for 2027 but they often presuppose that Apple will have a folding phone available by then in that case. 

I have yet to see a report talking of contraction for this market and while, obviously, it remains a niche market in global terms, it is already huge in absolute terms (and growing). 

Also, a large chunk are premium phones and are potentially capable of taking sales away from Apple. That is claimed to be happening already in China. 

A Counterpoint survey from last year said over 50% of slab phone users would consider a foldable as their next purchase. 80% of existing folding phone users said they would upgrade to another folding phone. 10% were undecided and 10% said they wouldn't. 

edited February 8 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 36
    AJ MAC25 said:
     :/ I have followed this issue for a few years and have seen the non-Apple foldables.
    I have yet to figure out WHY anyone wants or needs a foldable phone.  Maybe a foldable iPad (?), but I do not see the need for a foldable phone.
    I came from the flip-phone generation and do not wish to go back.

Well making the brave assumption that having it foldable does not impact any other characteristic, I assume that many people might find an iphone15 that is 1/2 the current height when not in use as an advantage. Personally, it wouldn't be a major selling point for me, especially given that there would be a BIG cost premium, but a more or less square form factor would be more secure in some trouser pockets I have, and perhaps ladies would find it sits better in their rear trouser pocket/purse.

Alternatively an iphone15 with potentially twice the size screen (i.e. 15 of current size which then folds out to double size), would make viewing video a much better experience. But where does the extra battery life come from to drive a double size screen ?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 36
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,914member
    AppleZulu said:

Said completely right in few words. I like to know long term durability of folding phones especially where it bends.
    JohnnyJackhammerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 36
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    A problem looking for a use case. Hopefully, they’re just doing their due diligence. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 36
    This is a gimmick looking for a purpose... period
  • Reply 31 of 36
    M68000M68000 Posts: 747member
    So, Reuters and other news and business websites are now reporting that Apple is working on foldable phone.  So it MUST be true LOL.  

Now the next question is will it have a different name than iPhone ?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 36
    PemaPema Posts: 42member
    wallym said:
    My engineering brain says that the hinged area is always going to be a problem.  A buddy has a samsung fold something.  He loves it, but I never can get any info from him regarding what it does that is special.  He is in the "anybody but apple" ideology.

I always question if the world will buy a more expensive iPhone, and each year I am proven wrong, so I'll bet that there is someone out there that will buy it in quantity.  I bought a top of the line iPhone 15 pro max, so I know I am one of the suckers.
    Don't worry about it. I have looked at the Samsung folding phone. The few stores that carry it have a great deal of difficulty moving any at the price point. The majority of people that look at it don't see any benefit. Same as a toaster for $900 because it has transparent sides so that you can see how your toast is coming along. 
    So far as the Apple foldable phone. It will come with the Apple foldable car in 2060. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 36
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,945member
    The main use for this that I can see is essentially a bridge between an iPhone and a iPad mini. How big is that market? Idunno, but you can bet Apple knows, or is at least getting an idea. For everyone who says "Apple will never make this because it won't sell," Don't worry about that - apple is doing that worrying for you. And if you don't like it, fine. You'll still have your plain ol' iPhone.

One of the advantages of iPhones is their longevity. I generally don't want or need the latest features but like Apple's quality and the fact that once I shell out $1000 for an iPhone I know I'll have a solid product for several years. This is where longevity comes in. I sincerely hope (and believe) that Apple is looking hard at the durability of folding screens in its development process.

I hear a pundit talking recently about Apple Vision Pro. One of his comments was that Apple usually isn't first to the market - they wait a bit, let the technology percolate and develop then come out with a solid product when they're ready. This may be the case with a folding phone. Either way I'm ok. I'd rather have a solid product than the first product.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 36
    M68000M68000 Posts: 747member
    longfang said:
    M68000 said:
    AppleZulu said:
    A lot compared to what?
    It’s not about comparing to anything.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 36
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Apple needs to make foldable iPhones like the world needs foldable headstones
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 36
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,653member
    I had never had a scratch on my iPhone until the 12 pro max.   I use belt holsters like a boomer because I do not like having things in my pants pockets.  

If the iPhone ion glass is supposed to be scratch resistant and foldies are worse then I will never buy a folding phone.  

And holy crap my pro max was like $1200 so there’s the extra cost on that, too.  
    williamlondonwatto_cobra