Anyone played MOO 3 yet

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I saw it in the store the other day. Wondered if anyone has played it yet and what their impressions are?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cylon

I saw it in the store the other day. Wondered if anyone has played it yet and what their impressions are?

I have a friend who has it. He actually got it about a week before it was realeased for PC (he makes video games and has connections). Sadly, he found it pretty un-thrilling. I don't remember any of the specifics of what he didn't like though.

Wish I could be more helpful!
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I've read some so-so reviews, but I have to say I'm still thinking about getting it.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    It appears that people finds it boring...
  • Reply 4 of 17
    dwsdws Posts: 108member
    I've bought the game and played it extensively.

It isn't so much that the game is boring, but that it takes so long for things to happen. To just get to the point of having a small empire of your own and interact with one or two alien cultures you find that you've gone through a couple hundred turns. Try attacking a culture after only playing the game for a handful of hours and you'll see your empire crushed!

A lot of stuff happens each turn, but since you can only affect the technological advancement through general guidelines (rather than specific action) it seems that you're constantly doing nothing other than clicking on the turn button. People who find this boring are obviously not reading the extensive documentation provided about those technological advancements.

The game plays beautifully, and is very easy to work with (mostly).

The AI handles most of the details. Unfortunately, the game really needs a significant improvement in this area; one that is in the works and will be out relatively soon. My best advice is to wait until that major patch has been released to purchase the game.

ps

I think that many of the people who are giving the game bad reviews are gamers who really prefer FPS games and find the depth and intricacies of this game to be too much to handle. This isn't an easy game. It was never intended to be easy. You can't start a game and expect to finish it in a few hours. The game is intended for those who prefer to get caught up in something that will eat up significant portions of your life. When the AI bugs are worked out, this game will satisfy gamers who crave this kind of excitement. MOO3 may be getting off to a rocky start, buy I am certain that it will eventually be regarded as one of the best games ever created.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    What's MOO3? Like Civilization? I tried playing Civ 2 once... damn, more boring game in the world, I had no idea what to do, ever.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dws

The AI handles most of the details. Unfortunately, the game really needs a significant improvement in this area;

Yeah, that's what my friend really didn't like
  • Reply 7 of 17
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i bought moo3 (luca: it's like civ. only with realtime battles) for my PC with the full intention of buying the Mac version as well when released. after playing it on my PC i just gave up after a while. i really loved MOO and MOO2, but MOO3 seemed really lacking. i think i'll pick it up again in a few months when they've had a chance to patch it, but as it stands now, it's pretty much unplayable, IMO.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i bought moo3 (luca: it's like civ. only with realtime battles) for my PC with the full intention of buying the Mac version as well when released. after playing it on my PC i just gave up after a while. i really loved MOO and MOO2, but MOO3 seemed really lacking. i think i'll pick it up again in a few months when they've had a chance to patch it, but as it stands now, it's pretty much unplayable, IMO.

Well, there's a data patch out for it now that I remembered is supposed to clear up some AI issues...it's at Macgamefiles.com, last I checked.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

What's MOO3? Like Civilization? I tried playing Civ 2 once... damn, more boring game in the world, I had no idea what to do, ever.

You just have to get "into" these types of games.

It's an aquired taste.

I'm looking to possibly purchasing MOO3 or Civ3 GOTY Edition this summer.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I played MOO3 on my brothers PC, it was neat, but boring.

Like, my favorite thing about MOO2(which I loved) was how you could control the tech and it was really straightforward.

I understand that you need to really sit a the game for like 40 hours to get the sense of how great a game it really is, but the problem is, that's not what 80% of the world's gamers are looking for these days, there will always been a minority of gamers that want slow moving games that have unparelled depth, but on the whole, MOO3 is a flop when it comes to appealing to the majority gamer, reminds me of Terminus, a great game, that had amazing depth, graphics, and realism, but it moved too slowly, and you really had to play it for a long time to appreciate the amazing scale of the recreation of our solar system. Terminus flopped and slipped out of people's minds. I fear the same thing may happen to MOO3.

Though, I should give it another chance, I played it for like 3 hours, and I barely got anywhere, I think My biggest problem with it is that, while I saw all these neat things that I wanted to explore and use, It ended up that I just needed to hit "turn" and the computer did it all for me.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

reminds me of Terminus, a great game, that had amazing depth, graphics, and realism, but it moved too slowly, and you really had to play it for a long time to appreciate the amazing scale of the recreation of our solar system.

There is an upcoming patch for Terminus to make it X native. I bought the three-disc set back when it was first released and I can't wait to play it in X. I just wish it had had a little more commerical sucess. The idea was great and shipping it for three platforms at the same time was a brilliant move.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    How playable is it on a laptop? (ie: is the trackpad a problem, etc)
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

it's like civ. only with realtime battles

For real?? *Yummmi!*
  • Reply 14 of 17
    The more I read about this game, the more I want it.

After all, I never had a problem spending 8 hours straight on The Operational Art Of War (back when I could spend 8 hours on a game )
  • Reply 15 of 17
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dws

The AI handles most of the details. Unfortunately, the game really needs a significant improvement in this area.

The AI does basically everything and a lot of the good things from MOO2 (Master of Orion 2) that made life a little easier are gone so the work you can do is just tedious. It's possible to basically sit there and do absolutely nothing except control your army, which takes forever to move anywhere.

I never thought I'd say this but there are also a rediculous number of techs and in a lot of cases it's a pain to follow. With upgrading gone it's now a pain to fix up ships when a major new technology comes out as well.

The new spy system is good but not being able to spy on someone who has cut off relations seems somewhat weird.

To finish it off I find MOO3's battle system horrible. A real time version of MOO2's system would have worked better. MOO3's just seems out of scale.

In general I'd find it sought of hard to recommend this over MOO2. I really have no idea how it got out the door. HoMM IV (Heroes of Might and Magic 4) was bad but its major fault was an AI issue that's fixed. I'd actually say this is even worse simply because so many elements of the game have been designed so badly.

Edit: Just making someone happier
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Has anyone played OJEIDC2 yet? Yeah I don't know what it is either......what the **** is MOO3? why is it that when anyone posts a message about a game they abbreviate it? Come on now... do an old man a favor and type out the game title... maybe I'll check it out............IF I KNEW WHAT IT WAS YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 17
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    www.google.com my friend... type moo3 and the first result is a page about Master Of Orion III.

So there ya go... just be happy