Jon Stewart became a problem for Apple TV+

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    I never could stand Leibowitz and his old show, so I was certainly not going to watch this steaming pile.

His ratio of mocking Republicans-to-Democrats was about 10:1. That and his audience of ignorant clapping seals was too much for me.

Apple would do well to stay away from political matters. Not all its customers are woke Democrats. 
  • Reply 22 of 49
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    stompy said:
    entropys said:
    Perhaps the show didn’t meet its viewing targets?
     It isn’t as though Stewart would admit that, and Apple will say nothing. It is most likely the wrong kind of platform for such a show. At least at this time.
    This. Underperforming shows get cancelled. Apple prefers to move on rather than discuss failures.
    LOL or... Apple will do whatever necessary to avoid political controversy. It's what Apple does. 
    You can’t really blame Apple, though. Everything sticks to them. If Stewart says something controversial on the Daily Show people might get mad at Stewart or not watch, but are they really going to blame Comedy Central—most probably have no idea who owns that. 
    But if he says something controversial on Apple TV+ you know Apple would be on EVERY tongue. There is too much $$$ at stake. 
    paisleydisco
  • Reply 23 of 49
    XedXed Posts: 2,816member
    pembroke said:
    Need to ask this somewhere….

iOS 17.3.1 …. Apple have removed the symbols for male and female but have retained the symbol for Transgender (sic) ⚧️. 

This is creepy. What on earth are Apple doing? This is remarkably idiotic and a game changer for me as an owner of many iPhones since inception. But I WILL switch to Android if Apple persists on this gaslighting nonsense. 
    1) I just pulled this from macOS in the latest OS update.

2) Maybe it's because I prefer to communicate with English alphanumerics over Emoji or maybe it's because I'm comfortable and with my masculinity and don't feel threatened by other people being true to themselves, but I think it's weird to switch your device, OS, apps, and overall computing platform because you don't have a certain emoji available to you.
    oseamepaisleydiscofreeassociate2bageljoey
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Draco said:
    I never could stand Leibowitz and his old show, so I was certainly not going to watch this steaming pile.

His ratio of mocking Republicans-to-Democrats was about 10:1. That and his audience of ignorant clapping seals was too much for me.

Apple would do well to stay away from political matters. Not all its customers are woke Democrats. 
    1) It's about comedy, and for better or worse the Republicans are much more likely to do and say stupid shit that can be made into jokes.

2) It was never 10:1 and last night he railed on Biden for a long time. I'm glad he's back.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    pembroke said:

iOS 17.3.1 …. Apple have removed the symbols for male and female but have retained the symbol for Transgender (sic) ⚧️. 

This is creepy. What on earth are Apple doing? This is remarkably idiotic and a game changer for me as an owner of many iPhones since inception. But I WILL switch to Android if Apple persists on this gaslighting nonsense. 
    Aren’t these emojis universal? Which is good, so they show up on exchange across platforms.    So you’ll find them on Android too.  
    paisleydisco
  • Reply 26 of 49
    I don’t find the China and/or AI pitches rumor convincing. Cancellation over segments like that would not have been amicable, as such stories would be journalism. I believe Stewart is hinting at the real problem when he mentions the “election season” — this cancellation was about US political commentary. Stewart is not going to sit this one out. He made that mistake eight years ago, and he’s not going to repeat it. He’s not alone.
    His recent segment on Trump/Biden was just standard media both-siderism. Both-siderism is a technique that is intended to create apathy in the electorate. Apathy = lower voter turnout = increased chances for Republican wins. So maybe Stewart is really a No Labels kind of guy? Meaning a conservative that doesn't want to openly identify as a conservative? At any rate, both-siderism is never in short supply in the U.S. media so if that's what Stewart wants to do for political coverage it's just more of the same. 
    edited February 13 tenthousandthings
  • Reply 27 of 49
    pembroke said:

Aren’t these emojis universal? Which is good, so they show up on exchange across platforms.    So you’ll find them on Android too.  
    Pembroke's initial comment/outrage is incorrect. Apple did not remove the emoji variants for Venus ("Female Sign") and Mars ("Male Sign") from the Emoji keyboard. They have never been there. macOS, iOS and so on has never supported the standardized emoji variants for ♀︎ and ♂︎ or any of the other planetary symbols (or other combined male and/or female signs), which is where they are listed/encoded in the Miscellaneous Symbols block of Unicode. In sequence, from inner to outer planets, including Pluto: ☿♀︎♁♂︎♃♄♅♆♇. I don't know when the emoji variant [⚧️] for the transgender symbol ⚧ was added to the Emoji keyboard, but the symbol itself dates to Unicode 4.1 (2005). I can't tell if Pembroke is mad that Apple is calling it "transgender symbol" instead of its original Unicode name "Male with Stroke and Male and Female Sign," or if they really believe Apple removed the emoji variants for Female Sign and Male Sign, which is, to repeat, categorically untrue and easy to document by looking at old discussions about this question in the Apple support community.

These symbols have always been listed under "Pictographs" in the Character Viewer in macOS. On iOS, however, they have never been available via the keyboard. I always assumed there was an iOS Unicode keyboard for this available in the Keyboard settings in iOS, but I now see this is not true. Pretty hard to understand, really. I guess this is because the iOS fonts don't support the full range of Unicode characters, but I don't get it. Just add another keyboard called "Symbols" -- so instead of having "Emoji & Symbols" combined like in macOS, they would be two separate keyboards in iOS... That would also allow one to differentiate between the root symbol and its emoji variant, like I did above for U+26A7

EDIT: Looking at this comment on my phone, I see iOS automatically converts U+26A7 to the emoji variant. Look at this comment in macOS and you’ll see what I’m talking about…
    edited February 13 oseameforegoneconclusion
  • Reply 28 of 49
    I don’t find the China and/or AI pitches rumor convincing. Cancellation over segments like that would not have been amicable, as such stories would be journalism. I believe Stewart is hinting at the real problem when he mentions the “election season” — this cancellation was about US political commentary. Stewart is not going to sit this one out. He made that mistake eight years ago, and he’s not going to repeat it. He’s not alone.

----

I've got no doubt that Stewart could cause Apple some heartburn with election coverage, but the two issues cited — I don't see how you could *not* find those convincing. Apple does a lot of business, including crucial supply chain and the lion's share of its manufacturing of iPhones in China, so keeping the Chinese government happy has long been a priority of theirs. And ins driving to keep up with the Joneses of the tech hierarchy, Tim has repeatedly been at pains to state, without any specifics yet, just how much AI we're going to see in as yet unannounced (but coming soon, really, folks!) products. So, to me at least, those could easily be pain points for Apple, and so yes, I find them convincing as possible issues.
    edited February 13 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 49
    If Stewart hasn't say it, I guess in a strange way we can't say that Apple punished him for saying it. And yet are we headed for a Minority Report world where people are punished for what they might say? 
  • Reply 30 of 49
    Xed said:
    the Republicans are much more likely to do and say stupid shit that can be made into jokes.
    You believe that because you consume content like Stewart that is 10:1 against Republicans. 
  • Reply 31 of 49
    pembroke said:

byeeeee. good riddance! 
  • Reply 32 of 49
    sunman42 said:

----

I've got no doubt that Stewart could cause Apple some heartburn with election coverage, but the two issues cited — I don't see how you could *not* find those convincing. Apple does a lot of business, including crucial supply chain and the lion's share of its manufacturing of iPhones in China, so keeping the Chinese government happy has long been a priority of theirs. And ins driving to keep up with the Joneses of the tech hierarchy, Tim has repeatedly been at pains to state, without any specifics yet, just how much AI we're going to see in as yet unannounced (but coming soon, really, folks!) products. So, to me at least, those could easily be pain points for Apple, and so yes, I find them convincing as possible issues.
    With regard to AI, I just don’t see how anything Stewart would have said about it could move the needle in any way for Apple with regard to how they use that technology. I just don’t see them being afraid of that criticism. I think they will welcome it, but I don’t really know. 

China, however, is different. I get what you’re saying and why you find it convincing, but I think it lacks perspective. I don’t think it is generally well understood outside of China just how far beyond post-Cultural Revolution norms Xi Jinping is operating, after thirty years of “never turn back.” Apple’s presence in China depends upon the nation moving forward, not backward. I just don’t see Apple making the calculation you describe, in the long run it hurts them either way (that is, whether or not he ultimately succeeds or fails with his extremely radical and very weird agenda). Xi Jinping may not always be in power. The People’s Republic of Amnesia has a long memory…
    edited February 13
  • Reply 33 of 49
    pembroke said:

What do you think this is, then? (see below) With the genderized (i.e. made up by the clothing industry) colors, even. Arguably these are more recognizable to a wider international audience than the Mars and Venus symbols of astrology. If it’s important to you because you are in a biology field … well, there’s always the option of another keyboard OR just using the actual word. 

P.S. - Please make sure you understand terms before using them. You’re 100% not being gaslight by Apple. However, there certainly are places you could have brought this up that are undoubtedly more appropriate than here. Also, not for nuthin’, but any fixation on gender symbols that makes someone feel they need to switch computing platforms — that’s super creepy to me.

edited February 13 mattinozmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 49
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,446member
    entropys said:
    I just can’t see how a current affairs/commentary type show is suited for a streaming service. Currency matters.
    It was also largely irrelevant to the global viewers as well. Unless they were looking to expand to "The Problem with [local talent]" in many more markets in order to get a new episode weekly the show was going to struggle to find regular viewers. 
  • Reply 35 of 49
    I think there are too sides at work. in this divorce.

One is Apple is too ideologically one-sided now and won't allow expressions that don't toe the line in their worldview.  Not going to bode well for a talk show that isn't an echo chamber.

The other is that it's likely Jon. Stewart wasn't as popular as they had hoped. The guy was. once the. go-to, but he hasn't been relevant in a. long time.

edited February 13
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Xed said:
    pembroke said:

1) I just pulled this from macOS in the latest OS update.

2) Maybe it's because I prefer to communicate with English alphanumerics over Emoji or maybe it's because I'm comfortable and with my masculinity and don't feel threatened by other people being true to themselves, but I think it's weird to switch your device, OS, apps, and overall computing platform because you don't have a certain emoji available to you.
    I just checked and IOS is definitely omitting the male/female symbol emoji now, but the trans one is there. That is agenda as all get-out. "idiotic" as Pembroke stated is the word for such a terrible and flat out weird decision. iOS is much more in-use than Mac OS.
    edited February 13
  • Reply 37 of 49
    pembroke said:

What do you think this is, then? (see below) With the genderized (i.e. made up by the clothing industry) colors, even. Arguably these are more recognizable to a wider international audience than the Mars and Venus symbols of astrology. If it’s important to you because you are in a biology field … well, there’s always the option of another keyboard OR just using the actual word. 

P.S. - Please make sure you understand terms before using them. You’re 100% not being gaslight by Apple. However, there certainly are places you could have brought this up that are undoubtedly more appropriate than here. Also, not for nuthin’, but any fixation on gender symbols that makes someone feel they need to switch computing platforms — that’s super creepy to me.

generica icons that can be represented however the artist wants isn't the same as chromosome icons (XY) which have imagery that depicts the scientific facts. Or biologically correct gennder icons, which are a standard. Looks like Apple is pushing ideology over biology? Not a good look.
    edited February 13
  • Reply 38 of 49
    Looks like now The Daily Show is having a problem with Jon Stewart.  LOL
  • Reply 39 of 49
    pembroke said:

generica icons that can be represented however the artist wants isn't the same as chromosome icons (XY) which have imagery that depicts the scientific facts. Or biologically correct gennder icons, which are a standard. Looks like Apple is pushing ideology over biology? Not a good look.
    LOL You clearly don't even know what XY represents.
    paisleydisco9secondkox2ilarynx
  • Reply 40 of 49
    Xed said:
    pembroke said:

LOL You clearly don't even know what XY represents.
    Oh gee. I guess you don’t realize it’s male. 

In my haste I omitted the xx or female 

good catch Karen. 

Back to original programming. 

edited February 14