Jon Stewart became a problem for Apple TV+

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    XedXed Posts: 2,816member
    Xed said:
    pembroke said:
    Need to ask this somewhere….

iOS 17.3.1 …. Apple have removed the symbols for male and female but have retained the symbol for Transgender (sic) ⚧️. 

This is creepy. What on earth are Apple doing? This is remarkably idiotic and a game changer for me as an owner of many iPhones since inception. But I WILL switch to Android if Apple persists on this gaslighting nonsense. 
    What do you think this is, then? (see below) With the genderized (i.e. made up by the clothing industry) colors, even. Arguably these are more recognizable to a wider international audience than the Mars and Venus symbols of astrology. If it’s important to you because you are in a biology field … well, there’s always the option of another keyboard OR just using the actual word. 

P.S. - Please make sure you understand terms before using them. You’re 100% not being gaslight by Apple. However, there certainly are places you could have brought this up that are undoubtedly more appropriate than here. Also, not for nuthin’, but any fixation on gender symbols that makes someone feel they need to switch computing platforms — that’s super creepy to me.

generica icons that can be represented however the artist wants isn't the same as chromosome icons (XY) which have imagery that depicts the scientific facts. Or biologically correct gennder icons, which are a standard. Looks like Apple is pushing ideology over biology? Not a good look.
    LOL You clearly don't even know what XY represents.
    Oh gee. I guess you don’t realize it’s male. 

In my haste I omitted the xx or female 

good catch Karen. 

Back to original programming. 
    Exactly my point. Your comment clearly shows that you think human chromosomes make up a binary system, yet it never has and this information isn't remotely new. There are many chromosomal variation, as well other genetic factors that could you easily label someone as male or female based on appearance — and I'm talking about  looking right at their junk, not how they're dressed — to make incorrect determinations about what chromosomes they have. In other words, layman shouldn't make claims of "science facts" without actually knowing the science or the facts.
    edited February 14 muthuk_vanalingamStrangeDays
  • Reply 42 of 49
    sdw2001 said:
    I watched one episode.  The show was unwatchable.  They couldn’t decide if it was funny or serious, so it was neither. It was straight up leftist propaganda.  Filled with inaccuracies and half truths.  And I’m the kind of person who can watch and enjoy content that has the opposite POV I have. I couldn’t stomach this.  
    Apple typically does not go out of its way to cater to the right-wing authoritarian Q-Anon demographic, so there certainly are those who won't appreciate that fact. 

Which one episode was "filled with inaccuracies and half truths"?
  • Reply 43 of 49

pembroke said:

iOS 17.3.1 …. Apple have removed the symbols for male and female but have retained the symbol for Transgender (sic) ⚧️. 

This is creepy. What on earth are Apple doing? This is remarkably idiotic and a game changer for me as an owner of many iPhones since inception. But I WILL switch to Android if Apple persists on this gaslighting nonsense. 
    Switching from an Apple iPhone because of... an emoji (or lack thereof)?

To declare such a move suggests just how secure one is in one's own sexuality (or not).
  • Reply 44 of 49
    stompy said:
    entropys said:
    Perhaps the show didn’t meet its viewing targets?
     It isn’t as though Stewart would admit that, and Apple will say nothing. It is most likely the wrong kind of platform for such a show. At least at this time.
    This. Underperforming shows get cancelled. Apple prefers to move on rather than discuss failures.
    LOL or... Apple will do whatever necessary to avoid political controversy. It's what Apple does. 
    Sure. 

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/cook-climate

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/mar/03/tim-cook-climate-change-sceptics-ditch-apple-shares

• Reply 45 of 49
    Draco said:
    I never could stand Leibowitz and his old show, so I was certainly not going to watch this steaming pile.

His ratio of mocking Republicans-to-Democrats was about 10:1. That and his audience of ignorant clapping seals was too much for me.

Apple would do well to stay away from political matters. Not all its customers are woke Democrats. 
    Fun fact: The ratio of mocking Clowns-to-Chess Players is also about 10:1. 
    edited February 14
  • Reply 46 of 49

Xed said:
    pembroke said:

What do you think this is, then? (see below) With the genderized (i.e. made up by the clothing industry) colors, even. Arguably these are more recognizable to a wider international audience than the Mars and Venus symbols of astrology. If it’s important to you because you are in a biology field … well, there’s always the option of another keyboard OR just using the actual word. 

P.S. - Please make sure you understand terms before using them. You’re 100% not being gaslight by Apple. However, there certainly are places you could have brought this up that are undoubtedly more appropriate than here. Also, not for nuthin’, but any fixation on gender symbols that makes someone feel they need to switch computing platforms — that’s super creepy to me.

generica icons that can be represented however the artist wants isn't the same as chromosome icons (XY) which have imagery that depicts the scientific facts. Or biologically correct gennder icons, which are a standard. Looks like Apple is pushing ideology over biology? Not a good look.
    LOL You clearly don't even know what XY represents.
    Oh gee. I guess you don’t realize it’s male. 

In my haste I omitted the xx or female 

good catch Karen. 

Back to original programming. 

BREAKING: Karen cries "Karen!"  News at eleven. 
  • Reply 47 of 49
    pembroke said:

That is ridiculous. The ♂ ♀ symbols are part of the Unicode character set, Apple has not removed anything. If your apps use a custom icon set that omits it (unlikely) that is not Apple's fault.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,441moderator
    sdw2001 said:
    I watched one episode.  The show was unwatchable.  They couldn’t decide if it was funny or serious, so it was neither. It was straight up leftist propaganda.  Filled with inaccuracies and half truths.  And I’m the kind of person who can watch and enjoy content that has the opposite POV I have. I couldn’t stomach this.  
    The format didn't work nearly as well as the Daily Show. Jon Stewart is back there and it still works well:

That energy from the host and audience didn't transfer to Apple's show. Maybe it was the production team, writers, studio audience/set, single subject format, not being about current news but if the Daily Show format had translated to Apple's show, it would have been much better received.

In the video above at 1:30, he says maybe they will talk about China and AI. Maybe there was some truth to the rumor that Apple didn't want him covering those subjects.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    XedXed Posts: 2,816member
    Marvin said:
    sdw2001 said:
    The format didn't work nearly as well as the Daily Show. Jon Stewart is back there and it still works well:

That energy from the host and audience didn't transfer to Apple's show. Maybe it was the production team, writers, studio audience/set, single subject format, not being about current news but if the Daily Show format had translated to Apple's show, it would have been much better received.

In the video above at 1:30, he says maybe they will talk about China and AI. Maybe there was some truth to the rumor that Apple didn't want him covering those subjects.
    I didn't catch that "China and AI" joke hidden in there. Thanks for pointing that out.