New iPad, MacBook Air, Mac mini: What to expect from Apple in the spring

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,393moderator
    tht said:
    You know, I kind of buy into a battery powered Mac mini to be used as an AVP accessory, or perhaps a display-less Macbook Pro or Macbook Air. A device as such would be interesting for any future eyeglass form factor Vision product.

As long as the Mac apps aren't available for visionOS, there is just going to be need for it. Also would be interesting if iPhone's can share their dislplay inside the AVP.
    A Youtuber did this:

Headless laptops would be useful even with normal external monitors. It would probably knock about $1000 off a MBP price if it was sold without the internal display and could be used like a Mac mini with an external display. There are USB-powered OLED displays now so you could buy a 13" Air paired with a folding 17" display:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwHnSIh-NoQ
  • Reply 22 of 24
    thttht Posts: 5,536member
    Marvin said:
    tht said:
    You know, I kind of buy into a battery powered Mac mini to be used as an AVP accessory, or perhaps a display-less Macbook Pro or Macbook Air. A device as such would be interesting for any future eyeglass form factor Vision product.

As long as the Mac apps aren't available for visionOS, there is just going to be need for it. Also would be interesting if iPhone's can share their dislplay inside the AVP.
    A Youtuber did this:

Headless laptops would be useful even with normal external monitors. It would probably knock about $1000 off a MBP price if it was sold without the internal display and could be used like a Mac mini with an external display. There are USB-powered OLED displays now so you could buy a 13" Air paired with a folding 17" display:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwHnSIh-NoQ
    Yeah, I seen that before. Didn't watch the video, but there has been a display-less laptop fad for a while. What was old is new again. In the ancient days, the computing parts of a computer were in the keyboard, not a separate box. Apple II, Atari, etc. ;) Apple obviously has the hardware to make a rather nice keyboard and computer combo. 

One of the things that I've been contemplating is how higher performance computing would be possible with a headset, and the answer always boils down to the headset acting as a wireless monitor for a remote computer. If a user needs Max/Ultra performance, needs 128 GB of RAM, there's no choice but to do it in a client/server way. Sounds stupid to have the headseat draw 30+ Watts. The bottleneck will be UI latency and bandwidth across WiFi.

And, an AVP with, say, 32 GB of RAM and 4 TB of storage would also be interesting. Recording 4K spatial/3D video sounds intensive. Then, like iPhone 15 Pros, that developer strap will need to support TB SSDs for recording as 4 TB won't be enough for the types of video it could take and play.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    Why does he always look like he is praying?
    He’s warming up with a little “Tim-fu” according to SAMTIME  :D

https://youtu.be/egIrNbkb3sc?si=D1EJIsP8hqnrTwh2
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 24
    I could be interested in a Mac Mini.  Don't need a whole laptop, but a desktop machine would be useful.